2022 Maplewood Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IM Joshua Posthuma from Michigan is live on Twitch commenting on the event: https://view.livechesscloud.com/#dba...f-d7043bf54b0a
    He will cover Rounds 2, 4 and 7

Comment

Enjoying the games. Thanks.

Comment

Rd 2 Big win by Shawn Rodrigue - Lemieux as black.

Comment

Shawn Rodrigue - Lemieux wins again in rd 3!

Comment

Rd 5 GM Kantans beat GM Bosiocic in a critical game of threat and counter threat to keep the field close. GM Bosiocic was streaking with 4-0 before the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              Rd 5 GM Kantans beat GM Bosiocic in a critical game of threat and counter threat to keep the field close. GM Bosiocic was streaking with 4-0 before the game.
              Yes Hans, I have a few more available minutes to write today, and I agree, that was a very interesting game between two GMs. In general, ALL the games here have been competitive, and more double-edged than not, INCLUDING the GM matchups. I think compiling just the right group of players, especially with the wonderful all-inclusive conditions, is a bit of both art and science, and the Organizers Salim Belcadi and Charles Lesperance (and others) did an absolutely superb job. This is as fine a collection of elite players as I've ever seen in Canada, and they are awesome to be around. From the battling openings to hand-and-brain blitz late at night, this has been such a great Arbiter experience for Alex Ferreira, Omar Shah, and me. Everyone here seems to be loving it.

And why not, as for starters, the conditions here have been truly magnificent. The playing room is something like 14-foot ceilings, where the off-white walls and clear soft light combine for a very soothing visual presence over the boards. The players were helped getting here, they each have their own luxury room (seriously, look up Manoir Maplewood!), and there's a chef team ONSITE to prepare EVERY meal. We're all together all the time, and it feels like a vacation resort. I don't know that words can do justice to just how player-friendly this organization has been, just outstanding.

Hans, if you have any questions, feel free, and I'll answer when I can. As Salim says: "everyone SHOWED UP", meaning they're going for it. From a chess fan viewpoint, this has been AWESOME!

Comment

IM Jason Liang (USA) has already hit 2500 in-tournament, which he'll need along with the GM norms.

Comment

Thanks for the great description Aris. I think you've covered it, at least for me. We here in Canada have been blessed with many great events and its a thrill for me to see our best get GM norm chances under such awesome conditions. Im loving the games, fighting games all.

Comment

Rd 6 Incredible fighting games this round - every one!

Comment

Rd 6 Incredible fighting games this round - every one!
                      And Hans, all players' intensities are a marvel to soak in! Every player was SO into their game!

Comment

Rd7 Big wins by IM's Samsonkin, Noritsyn, and Liang.

Comment

Has Jason Liang sewn up a GM norm?

Comment

Hi Hans:

Yes........

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1723...vity&ref=notif

Bob A

Comment

Has Jason Liang sewn up a GM norm?
                              Hi Hans,

Yes! 6.5/9 was enough for any of the IMs at this tournament to get a GM-norm. Jason Liang did it with a round to spare.
                              Congrats to Jason, who also passed 2500 in this tournament.
                              Round 9 is Saturday at noon.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Working...
                              X