Lynn Stringer RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynn Stringer RIP

The following post came across my Facebook feed this morning, and I was waiting for someone who knew Lynn better to post, here. However, I have fond memories of her from the 1988 WCF in Saint John. As I recall she came for the entire 4 weeks and had a blast.

Fred

"This is Lynn’s daughter, Pamela Stringer. My mom passed away today and is now privy to the knowledge of the great mystery. I know there is a huge welcoming reception in Heaven for this great woman."

My condolences to the family, chess lost a wonderful advocate.

Comment

Lynn was BC Women's Champion in 1974 and co-champion in 1998. She was also an International Arbiter. She became involved in chess during the Bobby Fischer boom, as a player, arbiter and organizer. Lynn often said how much she loved chess. She kept the BC chess scene going almost single-handedly for four decades.
      She was also a successful business woman who owned and operated Vancouver Island Helicopters when she wasn't busy playing chess or directing tournaments.
      Over the years she billeted hundreds of chess players in her beautiful home in Cordova Bay, just north of Victoria. She was generous and wise. We will all miss her. A local legend.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

As the fortune of life's paths would have it, I only met Lynn once, at the 1999 Canadian Open in Richmond, BC. (although it might have been the 2000 in Edmonton, I can't be sure) - I was playing in those events (many years before becoming an arbiter) - but one thing I distinctly remember was my immediate impression of just how wonderfully NICE Lynn was, it has remained a great memory.

Rest in peace.

Comment

I spoke with Lynn on the phone many times while working at the CFC. She was always very nice, friendly and upbeat. Before getting down to business she would always ask how you were doing with sincerity, not just out of etiquette, and she always made it clear how thankful she was to be alive. Every Christmas the staff at the office would receive from her in the mail edible gifts. Her reputation is well deserved. Her legacy will be eternal.

Comment

I didnt get to know Lynn until I did an interview with her for the magazine when I was editor. I had heard a lot about her but actually speaking with her drove home what a wonderful, friendly lady she was and a driving force for BC and Canadian chess.

Comment

Nothing but fond memories of my small number of encounters with her, and she was legendary in the western Canadian chess scene. Canadian chess Hall of Fame member inducted in 2004. RIP.

Comment

Lynn's obituary is here: Evelyn (Lynn) Minerva Stringer | Guestbook | Sharing Memories (arbormemorial.ca)
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

I never met Lynn Stringer but from everything I have heard about her, chess lost a special lady with her passing.

Comment

I had the pleasure of working with Lynn Stringer during the 2002 Canadian Closed in Richmond, BC. Very solid chief arbiter she was for that event. So solid, in fact, that as the CFC Executive Director back then, I decided to submit her name to FIDE to become International Arbiter. She will be missed.

Comment

Lynn was one of a kind. I had the pleasure of getting to know her as she was a fixture in B.C. Chess during the years I was around in the mid to late 1980's. There were any number of events where we were co-directing, or one of us was directing the other. She told me once that had had a son when she was quite young, and he had passed away under tragic circumstances when he was 10. There were tears in her eyes as she told the story, 30+ years after the fact. She was always very kind and supportive to all young players, including those of us who were still children at heart. This is one of the times where I wish I shared the gift of faith, for nobody I've ever met deserves life everlasting more than her. I was a genuine privilege to have her in my life. She was an incredible woman.

Comment

Working...
                      X