Why does the CFC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the CFC...

pay KS a fee for writing articles? He seems to slag most Canadian Chess Personalities, dislike Canada (upside down flag, remember the World Series game where it was inadvertently done in Atlanta) and abhor the organized chess institutions of Canada. Or does he write these articles at no charge?

I would much rather read articles by Berry, Day or Hébert anyway.

Re: Why does the CFC...

do they pay a fee?

When it comes to chess related articles, KS's material is very good... it is too bad that he is so clueless when he writes about anything else.

Comment

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure he was paid for his article.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Some more interesting questions :

1. Why is Peter Stockhausen a CFC Governor ?
        2. Why is Barry Thorvardson a trustee for the main cash resource of the CFC ?
        3. Why is Chris Mallon OCA President ?
        4. What on earth does the OCA actually do ?
        5. Why does their website show pictures of random people that don't play chess ?

Comment

I'll take a shot Duncan.

1. Past President
          2. Elected
          3. Elected
          4. Ontario Chess Association
          5. serendipity

Any others, Duncan?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
            Some more interesting questions :

1. Why is Peter Stockhausen a CFC Governor ?
            simply - the Life Governor for being two times the CFC President.

2. Why is Barry Thorvardson a trustee for the main cash resource of the CFC ?
            Read GLs#1 - The execs should looking at that

3. Why is Chris Mallon OCA President ?
            Elected (I think he was acclaimed)

4. What on earth does the OCA actually do ?
            Propose smth what it should do :)

5. Why does their website show pictures of random people that don't play chess ?
            Because Mr. Duncan Smith does not play too. When D.S. will start to play in Ontario Open again, the banner will be changed too :D
            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 7th October, 2009, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              1. Past President
              2. Elected
              3. Elected
              4. Ontario Chess Association
              5. serendipity
              So an appropriate answer to the question starting this thread would be because the editor asked KS and KS said yes.

Comment

In a funny twist, as far as I know, Barry T. was the one who set up the OCA site on which the current one is based (the banner and similar boilerplate was simply kept for convenience I guess). Maybe those random people are people who voted for Barry?
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised they haven't found some room at the top for some Nortel executives, or maybe a controller from Enron. You know, in the spirit of second chances why not ? :)
                  Last edited by Duncan Smith; Wednesday, 7th October, 2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                    pay KS a fee for writing articles? He seems to slag most Canadian Chess Personalities, dislike Canada (upside down flag, remember the World Series game where it was inadvertently done in Atlanta) and abhor the organized chess institutions of Canada. Or does he write these articles at no charge?

I would much rather read articles by Berry, Day or Hébert anyway.
                    Articles such as the one which appeared under Kevin Spraggett's name in Canadian Chess News, September 2009 edition, when written by a titled player, would normally be paid for. Not a lot of money, but something. That article, as edited by Tony Ficzere, was free of the mentioned blemishes. A six-page tournament report with about five of those pages devoted to the analysis of a single game.

In my, ah, career, as a chess arbiter, I've found it useful interpret actions in the kindest possible light. OTOH, when people who should know better spout rubbish, I used to be Johnny-on-the-spot.

Concerning the upside-down flag, it could be KS's way of saying that the CFC has brought shame upon Canada. A lot of the other grating webbage could be put down to differing senses of humour. That is the kindest light.

However, there is no excuse for the slander of Lynn Stringer. I have closed the Opera tab which used to have KS's blog permanently in residence. I will consider reopening it when I see an apology from him to Lynn. It might be salutary for him to get an account and a password from Larry and post the apology here.

My only regrets are that I was slow to do it (a week ago) and slow to announce it.

I've not written much for the CFC recently. If that frees up some funds to pay for articles by Lawrence, everyone is a winner!
                    Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Wednesday, 7th October, 2009, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X