Recognize Chess as a Sport in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Brad Thomson;n223425]

It was back in the mid-1990s when FIDE made a serious effort at having the IOC recognize chess as a sport. The effort remains unsuccessful./QUOTE]

IOC recognize chess as sport. It is just not in Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      You might get in with the federal Conservatives. Their new leader is a chess player.
      yes, and a competitive fella ;)

Comment

Chess will never become a sport as long as it does not have sponsors that can make money from spectators and or chess spectators buying their products. Look at all the sports teams all sponsored people get spectators to wear their shirts their shoes their products. Spectators support the teams. Where do you see any people wearing chess stuff except chess players. No Chess will never be a sport without some type of sponsorship that will make money for the sponsors.. How many people wear products from the last world championship?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
          Is chess a sport? It depends upon our definition of the term. If only mental stamina is needed then yes, if strong/trained muscles are needed, then no.
          Yup, Sports Canada would need to redefine the meaning. It is not only stamina; it is skills too. Look at S.Curry in basketball - they guy can not dunk but still FMVP :)

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

If chess becomes a sport, so too should ....

The move for chess to become a sport is pure greed, motivated only by money.
            This bit is interesting, and perhaps on point.
            That first sentence "If chess becomes a sport, so too should... " could be filled with ANYTHING. It's an absurd can of worms to open.

Perhaps we should be taking a step back and ask: "Why would we even want chess to be recognized as a sport?" - before we even get into the criteria and all that stuff.
            I imagine it must be money / government loans / financial projects, or some other type of recognition that comes together with a nice money package.

Why would chess want to be considered a sport? Are we really striving to be alongside hockey, curling, skiing, basketball? And if so why?
            The Chess Olympiad is the premium event in chess. If chess were to be recognized as a sport, and make it into the Olympic Games (like so many people want to, and this is why we've introduced anti-doping measures), we would just become "one more event at the Olympics", known to almost nobody and laughed at by the world, right up there with "trampoline" - we all know about that, being Canadian.

So... has trampoline, curling, and some random obscure sports only played / observed by 1% of the population, gained popularity because they're at the Olympics?
            Do they get more airwaves in the local TV stations?
            Are we trying to replace poker from ESPN (massive joke), the way poker replaced snooker?
            I guess the Jamaican bobsled team story resulted in a pretty entertaining movie called "Cool Runnings". We've got some movies that reached the wider audience too, most notably the series "Queen's Gambit".

Chess is supposedly a noble game. Why would we want it to be alongside "sports" ?
            So ... it must be for money.
            In some countries (some of which we call authoritarian, undemocratic, dictatorships, etc...) chess has a pretty high profile. But some other governments which we like to compare ourselves with do too, hold chess in high regard. Many forward thinking countries have government support, at federal to municipal level. And chess isn't a sport there, or anywhere.
            There must surely be better ways to assert our game as "worth investing in" without needing to label it a sport.

Alternatively, I'll ask again: why are so many chess people so keen on trying to get chess recognized as a sport? To me, it looks like chess would be taking a step down.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Ok Alex, share your ways to get additional funding for Youth Tournaments and other chess activities. Asking for kids around Canada.
              Obviously, I'm doing it to get extra funding from the government (at least to get a shot at it).

Comment

Originally posted by Olga Mushtaler View Post
                Ok Alex, share your ways to get additional funding for Youth Tournaments and other chess activities. Asking for kids around Canada.
                Obviously, I'm doing it to get extra funding from the government (at least to get a shot at it).
                Asking for kids around Canada?

How would you feel if one of those kids won some government-funded (i.e. taxpayer funded) prize at a chess tournament, then the next day that kid died in a hospital waiting room because of lack of ER staff due to lack of health care funding?

If you can still go ahead with your petition after asking yourself that, you are a non-person to me.

And instead of petitioning MPPs, why not put your question to Canadian voters? You are only trying to grab at taxpayers' money on something they don't want it spent on.
                Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Sunday, 18th December, 2022, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Asking for kids around Canada?

How would you feel if one of those kids won some government-funded (i.e. taxpayer funded) prize at a chess tournament, then the next day that kid died in a hospital waiting room because of lack of ER staff due to lack of health care funding?

If you can still go ahead with your petition after asking yourself that, you are a non-person to me.

And instead of petitioning MPPs, why not put your question to Canadian voters? You are only trying to grab at taxpayers' money on something they don't want it spent on.
                  Non-person, are you serious?

If chess ever gets, I don't know, 10k from the government per year in Canada (a quick google search says hockey gets 10million), it will not affect the health care funding. If you are against sports getting government funding, that is a respectable opinion, but please find enemies elsewhere. I highly doubt you respect human rights anyway, so I find this lip service quite disgusting.

Olga is taking initiative and trying to do something good for the chess community, good luck to her.

Comment

Re-Post from other "Chess as Sport" Thread:

Years and years ago, I saw a study, when this issue was then a hot topic, that tested Olympians and top Chess Players during tournaments.

The result was that the chess players expended more energy during a tournament than Olympians did during training sessions.

Sorry, but I didn't archive that article....not sure if it could be located by a google search.

The issue of state support for chess is a no-brainer, IMHO. The benefits, especially to children, in transferable skill sets is clearly documented. But given that the public/government always pick the wrong things to spend money on, the very clear source of government funding for chess that should exist, does not.

So the CFC is obligated to try to fit into whatever cubby-hole government has created, in order to get the taxpayers money where it should be, funding the expansion of chess to the public, and especially from daycare to highschool graduation.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post

Non-person, are you serious?

If chess ever gets, I don't know, 10k from the government per year in Canada (a quick google search says hockey gets 10million), it will not affect the health care funding. If you are against sports getting government funding, that is a respectable opinion, but please find enemies elsewhere. I highly doubt you respect human rights anyway, so I find this lip service quite disgusting.

Olga is taking initiative and trying to do something good for the chess community, good luck to her.

Anyone who puts chess ahead of a child's life is a non-person as far as I'm concerned.

I am not just against chess funding. I am against ALL sports funding (except for facilities maintenance). That means moneys for prizes, salaries, training, being a trainer, etc. You want to get into sports, you do so OUT OF LOVE FOR SPORTS! You want to be paid, you find a corporation to pay you. Not taxpayers!!!!!

Who are you? Oh, a member of the chess elite in Canada. Surprise!

You moron! You know NOTHING of my support for human rights! Lip service? ha ha you wait and see my friend!

You nerds with your greed and money grubbing have poked a sleeping TIGER.

I have made some phone calls tonight ... and already generated support for MY petition to end all (non-facilities-maintenance) sports funding.

The Trudeau Liberals are right now in the crosshairs because of insufficient health care funding. You really think FUCKING CHESS is going to get attention for funding right now? Get real!

Olga is taking initiative to grab at taxpayers' money! That is all she is doing! The whole "chess is a sport" narrative is total bs to grab at taxpayers' money.

I am going to take this as far as I need to .... when you finally get chess certified as a sport (if ever), it will do you no good because sports funding will GO AWAY on order to save the lives of children, who are at this very FUCKING MONENT DYING from RSV and FLU and COVID RELATED ISSUES and not able to get proper care because of lack of funding.

Remember Black Lives Matter? Get ready for Children's Lives Matter!

Olga whatever-your-name-is: end your petition NOW if you value your future! Politics is a game that can destroy lives!

I am in a rage BECAUSE I KNOW CHILDREN WHO HAVE DIED OR SUFFERED MORE THAN THEY SHOULD HAVE BECAUSE OF LACK OF HEALTH FUNDING!

You want a piece of this Mr. Noritsyn? You're going to get it FULL BORE! I will make you part of the story and it won't be good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        The issue of state support for chess is a no-brainer, IMHO. The benefits, especially to children, in transferable skill sets is clearly documented.
                        Bob A
                        Mr Arnstrong:

All it takes to play chess is a chess set and board, and maybe a clock.
                        That is it!

Anyone who wants to play chess can do so cheaply. And i agree, it is beneficial to the human brain to play chess. Just as checkers, Scrabble, crosswords, and many other games.

The benefit is not the issue. The issue is MOTIVE. If the motive for playing chess is monetary, thanks to government largesse, that is entirely WRONG! Otherwise taxpayers would be funding Scrabble tournaments, crosswords tournaments, etc etc etc.

I will pit my resources and the resources of my contacts against all of the CFC's resources, the CMA's resources, whatever it takes.

I will NOT ALLOW government funding of chess in Ontario! What they do in Quebec, I don't care, even though it's wrong. I can't do anything to change that. Here where i live in Ontario ... not gonna happen!

Please reconsider your opinion on this matter. You want chess to grow, that is fine. Grow it on its own merits. Not taxpayer funding.

Comment

Anyone who puts chess ahead of a child's life is a non-person as far as I'm concerned.

I am not just against chess funding. I am against ALL sports funding (except for facilities maintenance). That means moneys for prizes, salaries, training, being a trainer, etc. You want to get into sports, you do so OUT OF LOVE FOR SPORTS! You want to be paid, you find a corporation to pay you. Not taxpayers!!!!!

Who are you? Oh, a member of the chess elite in Canada. Surprise!

You moron! You know NOTHING of my support for human rights! Lip service? ha ha you wait and see my friend!

You nerds with your greed and money grubbing have poked a sleeping TIGER.

I have made some phone calls tonight ... and already generated support for MY petition to end all (non-facilities-maintenance) sports funding.

The Trudeau Liberals are right now in the crosshairs because of insufficient health care funding. You really think FUCKING CHESS is going to get attention for funding right now? Get real!

Olga is taking initiative to grab at taxpayers' money! That is all she is doing! The whole "chess is a sport" narrative is total bs to grab at taxpayers' money.

I am going to take this as far as I need to .... when you finally get chess certified as a sport (if ever), it will do you no good because sports funding will GO AWAY on order to save the lives of children, who are at this very FUCKING MONENT DYING from RSV and FLU and COVID RELATED ISSUES and not able to get proper care because of lack of funding.

Remember Black Lives Matter? Get ready for Children's Lives Matter!

Olga whatever-your-name-is: end your petition NOW if you value your future! Politics is a game that can destroy lives!

I am in a rage BECAUSE I KNOW CHILDREN WHO HAVE DIED OR SUFFERED MORE THAN THEY SHOULD HAVE BECAUSE OF LACK OF HEALTH FUNDING!

You want a piece of this Mr. Noritsyn? You're going to get it FULL BORE! I will make you part of the story and it won't be good for you!

dear TIGER,

"but the children"
                          "Who are you?"
                          "you moron!"
                          "You nerds with your greed and money grubbing"

If it pleases you, my well being is not affected by any funding. I teach people to play chess (better). Also, you remind me of a certain russian tv character, soloviov, if you could do what you do in public speech (unlikely.. you are just a keyboard warrior), you would do well to apply to putin team while it still exists (time is running out).

good luck to you too.
                          Nikolay

Comment

I will NOT ALLOW government funding of chess in Ontario! What they do in Quebec, I don't care, even though it's wrong. I can't do anything to change that. Here where i live in Ontario ... not gonna happen!
                            Let us know what have you done to stop the Ontario government to support the chess activities through their Trillium funding. There were not many but still not round zero.

From the latest report:
                            Chess Institute of Canada $60,500

And why are you so angry?
                            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 19th December, 2022, 12:01 PM.

Comment

The amount of funding to run a national CFC office to deal with national and international chess championships would be very small, like $200,000. More if it included a national school program. Canada plays chess with other nations where chess receive Olympic sports funding. And we have much higher travel costs. But the federal government wouldn’t fund the whole thing, only be a contributor along with corporate donors, fund-raising events, and sales of t-shirts, etc. They will only listen to organizations that already have some corporate money and professional lobbyists.

On May 08, 2020 CBC reported:
                              The federal government will provide $72 million in relief funding to the country's sport sector, Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault announced. In addition to the money for sports, arts and culture will receive $198.3 million through existing programs, $115.8 million is going to the to support the Canadian audiovisual sector and $53 million will be provided to the heritage sector via the emergency component of the Museums Assistance Program. "Sport is a big part of what makes Canada, Canada."

This year national sport organizations and institutes will receive $34.5 million, provinces and territories $32.5 million, and the Athlete Assistance Program $5 million.

In May 2022 Minister of Sport Pascale St-Onge froze Hockey Canada's funding until they become a signatory with the Office of Sport Integrity Commissioner. Hockey Canada received $14 million from the federal government in 2020 and 2021, only 6% of its annual funding.

Federal funding for Culture, history and sports:
                              https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...s/funding.html

But chess doesn't count as history, art, culture, or sports.

The federal government gives $162 million to national amateur sport federations:
                              https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...l/funding.html

The federal government in 2019 spent $333 Billion, 24 to banks as interest. 50.6 billion to senior pensions and around the same for federal transfer support for health and other social programs. 23.4 billion for Children's benefits. But $100 billion went to National Defence and 45 crown corporations. Of course, this year an additional 1 billion added in military assistance and $2 billion in loans to Ukraine.

Comment

I have signed it. Good luck in your effort Olga.

Comment

Working...
                                X