X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    From the latest report:
    Chess Institute of Canada $60,500
    What exactly is "Chess Institute of Canada"?

The CFC easily funded itself in the many years before the advent of the internet. This was due to builders, competent staff(s), book/equipment sales, membership fees, rating fees for over the board play... We live in a completely different world now. Excellent yearly championships were held back in those days, a paper magazine. Money was tight but there was enough to go around as chess funded itself (no taxes/charity CFC status). Once more, a different world now.

It may be the case that chess should look into itself, and charge itself what it needs to run/grow itself. The money needs to come from ratings/entry/membership fees, parents sending youngsters to tournaments/camps... Perhaps a well-run chess tournament could donate some money to our local hospitals for children where there is a serious need. I do not think that it is chess that should have its hand out at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

What exactly is "Chess Institute of Canada"?
      https://chessinstitute.ca/

Comment

I'd love to see the list of Canadian companies which the CFC VP has approached for corporate sponsorship.

So I took an interest in this somewhat fascinating issue yesterday, Sunday.

In less than an hour I was able to find two major Canadian companies who are in the business of manufacturing and selling educational products to parents. Both companies are willing to listen to the matter of sponsoring Canadian Youth chess activities here in their own backyard.

Less than an hour, ha!

Comment

meh, it would be nice, but probably far more trouble than it is worth. We can play and learn all we want. Chess instructors, books, and websites, and clubs abound. Parents in the know can get it done. No need to spend yet more tax dollars. Having the gov't make it a sport, ain't gonna make it that much more popular. It's not a spectator sport for the masses and therefore will never get enough funding to make a real impact.

edit: The right kind of promotion from the gov't would be much more beneficial. Maybe I run for Prime Minister
          Last edited by Fred Henderson; Monday, 19th December, 2022, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
            How would you feel if one of those kids won some government-funded (i.e. taxpayer funded) prize at a chess tournament, then the next day that kid died in a hospital waiting room because of lack of ER staff due to lack of health care funding?
            When I first read the above I thought, there goes that non-person Pargat again with another one of his ridiculous argument tactics. But then I thought maybe I should do a little research on this topic. Well! Let me tell you that I was shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, to find out that every year, on a worldwide basis, in countries where chess receives government funding, there are hundreds of children who die in underfunded hospital ERs the day after winning prizes at chess tournaments!! Thank you, Pargat, for bringing this threat to the world's children to our attention. Truly, you are a great humanitarian!!
            Last edited by Peter McKillop; Monday, 19th December, 2022, 06:14 PM.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post

dear TIGER,

"but the children"
              "Who are you?"
              "you moron!"
              "You nerds with your greed and money grubbing"

If it pleases you, my well being is not affected by any funding. I teach people to play chess (better). Also, you remind me of a certain russian tv character, soloviov, if you could do what you do in public speech (unlikely.. you are just a keyboard warrior), you would do well to apply to putin team while it still exists (time is running out).

good luck to you too.
              Nikolay
              Good on you for not taking any taxpayer funding. The bigger question is, would you grab for it if it became available?

It is laughable to the extreme someone who makes a living from a board game calling someone else a "keyboard warrior".

Have you ever really fought for anything?

I have no idea why you bring Russia and Putin into the conversation, just a dirty ploy with no substance. But maybe Putin himself is just a keyboard warrior and had no idea what fighters the people of Ukraine really are. He is finding out now, just as you will find out about Ontario taxpayers in 2023. So go ahead and make ASSumptions all you want. The last laugh will not be yours.
              Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Monday, 19th December, 2022, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

When I first read the above I thought, there goes that non-person Pargat again with another one of his ridiculous argument tactics. But then I thought maybe I should do a little research on this topic. Well! Let me tell you that I was shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, to find out that every year, on a worldwide basis, in countries where chess receives government funding, there are hundreds of children who die in underfunded hospital ERs the day after winning prizes at chess tournaments!! Thank you, Pargat, for bringing this threat to the world's children to our attention. Truly, you are a great humanitarian!!

Your disregard for the lives of children is utterly disgusting. Whatever respect I may have had for you, it is in the negative now.

Any child at any time can die or suffer more than they should right here in Ontario due to lack of health care funding. And it happens, probably each and every day. It doesn't have to be death. You want to do research, then research the shortage of medical staff right here in Ontario.

For me, this is personal. This thread is going to go public and become the newest black eye for chess.

Even though you aren't one of them, you will be surprised Peter at how many humanitarians do live here in Ontario. Those who are old enough to work pay taxes. There are far more of them than there are of money-grubbing chess minions.

Now you can go back to posting about dirtbag Putin and his crimes as if you really care.... as if you are a humanitarian.....

Comment

Thank you, Olga. I have signed your petition.

There have been a few interesting posts here whether or not chess is a sport, and on the role of government support for sports etc.
                  A variety of opinions, that's okay.

But then it seem inevitable that some guy with an extreme position has to spoil it all by yelling, insulting, and threatening everyone who doesn't agree with him.
                  What do they say, "that's why we can't have nice things"

Good luck with the petition. Most of us do appreciate your efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                    Thank you, Olga. I have signed your petition.

There have been a few interesting posts here whether or not chess is a sport, and on the role of government support for sports etc.
                    A variety of opinions, that's okay.

But then it seem inevitable that some guy with an extreme position has to spoil it all by yelling, insulting, and threatening everyone who doesn't agree with him.
                    What do they say, "that's why we can't have nice things"

Good luck with the petition. Most of us do appreciate your efforts.
                    And Olga is a very loving person whose day job is taking care of young children. She cares very much for the lives of children.

Comment

Your disregard for the lives of children is utterly disgusting. Whatever respect I may have had for you, it is in the negative now.

Any child at any time can die or suffer more than they should right here in Ontario due to lack of health care funding. And it happens, probably each and every day. It doesn't have to be death. You want to do research, then research the shortage of medical staff right here in Ontario.

For me, this is personal. This thread is going to go public and become the newest black eye for chess.

Even though you aren't one of them, you will be surprised Peter at how many humanitarians do live here in Ontario. Those who are old enough to work pay taxes. There are far more of them than there are of money-grubbing chess minions.

Now you can go back to posting about dirtbag Putin and his crimes as if you really care.... as if you are a humanitarian....
                      Well of course the above was expected. Based on your history at Chesstalk, Pargat, whenever you feel you're not getting the respect you think you deserve, the result is a temper tantrum. Temper tantrums where you twist people's words, make baseless accusations, set up laughable straw men, blah, blah, blah.

But wait! Did I behave badly? Did I come racing out with a sarcastic post when it wasn't warranted? Maybe there was something in your post to Olga that I missed or didn't understand. So why don't we go back and have another look at what you said to Olga. Here it is:

Asking for kids around Canada?

How would you feel if one of those kids won some government-funded (i.e. taxpayer funded) prize at a chess tournament, then the next day that kid died in a hospital waiting room because of lack of ER staff due to lack of health care funding?

If you can still go ahead with your petition after asking yourself that, you are a non-person to me. .....
                      Now first, Pargat, do you know Olga personally? Have you ever met her or corresponded with her? Have you ever had a calm, polite, rational discussion with her regarding why she's interested in some government funding for chess? When I first read your comments to Olga, it seemed to me that you were accusing her of being thoughtless and uncaring about children. And if Olga is someone you don't know personally then why were you so rude to her? What is the point of referring to her as a non-person?

Did I misinterpret something, Pargat? Why don't you go ahead and explain why treating a total stranger (if Olga is that to you) like a piece of crap in public is justified simply because you have a different opinion on what is really a fairly innocuous issue.

p.s. For the record, I don't know Olga.
                      Last edited by Peter McKillop; Monday, 19th December, 2022, 11:40 PM.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Anyone who puts chess ahead of a child's life is a non-person as far as I'm concerned.

I am not just against chess funding. I am against ALL sports funding (except for facilities maintenance). That means moneys for prizes, salaries, training, being a trainer, etc. You want to get into sports, you do so OUT OF LOVE FOR SPORTS! You want to be paid, you find a corporation to pay you. Not taxpayers!!!!!

Who are you? Oh, a member of the chess elite in Canada. Surprise!

You moron! You know NOTHING of my support for human rights! Lip service? ha ha you wait and see my friend!

You nerds with your greed and money grubbing have poked a sleeping TIGER.

I have made some phone calls tonight ... and already generated support for MY petition to end all (non-facilities-maintenance) sports funding.

The Trudeau Liberals are right now in the crosshairs because of insufficient health care funding. You really think FUCKING CHESS is going to get attention for funding right now? Get real!

Olga is taking initiative to grab at taxpayers' money! That is all she is doing! The whole "chess is a sport" narrative is total bs to grab at taxpayers' money.

I am going to take this as far as I need to .... when you finally get chess certified as a sport (if ever), it will do you no good because sports funding will GO AWAY on order to save the lives of children, who are at this very FUCKING MONENT DYING from RSV and FLU and COVID RELATED ISSUES and not able to get proper care because of lack of funding.

Remember Black Lives Matter? Get ready for Children's Lives Matter!

Olga whatever-your-name-is: end your petition NOW if you value your future! Politics is a game that can destroy lives!

I am in a rage BECAUSE I KNOW CHILDREN WHO HAVE DIED OR SUFFERED MORE THAN THEY SHOULD HAVE BECAUSE OF LACK OF HEALTH FUNDING!

You want a piece of this Mr. Noritsyn? You're going to get it FULL BORE! I will make you part of the story and it won't be good for you!

And here we have another angry post from you, Pargat. Do you think all this angry, abusive behaviour enhances your credibility at Chesstalk. I found this comment interesting:

"You moron! You know NOTHING of my support for human rights! Lip service? ha ha you wait and see my friend!"

In my view your quoted comment makes you sound a bit.....unbalanced(?). But regardless, please tell us more about your support for human rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Olga Mushtaler View Post
                          Ok Alex, share your ways to get additional funding for Youth Tournaments and other chess activities. Asking for kids around Canada.
                          Obviously, I'm doing it to get extra funding from the government (at least to get a shot at it).
                          Hi Olga,

Just to be clear: I am all in favour of government funding for chess. I just don't understand why we should have to paint chess as a sport.
                          Chess is an amazing activity / game / mental stimulus / etc... I would hope chess can be sold as / for what it is.
                          What you, Olga, and many other people do, in promoting the game, are important steps towards getting exposure, notoriety, public attention. And that must be the way forward.
                          However, I am of the opinion that we should not have to jump on the "Sports" bandwagon because people in government are narrow minded idiots. Frankly, selling chess for what it is sounds like it should be easier than trying to sell chess as a sport. Or maybe I am just out to lunch.

Alex F.

Comment

Sorry guys, just reading this now. See there a lot has been written. Thanks for your support!!! ❤
                            Here are two nice articles on this. I'm not the first to think of this. I'm just acting on it.
                            https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/hi...pporting-chess
                            https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/chess-...says-1.6122303

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post

Hi Olga,

Just to be clear: I am all in favour of government funding for chess. I just don't understand why we should have to paint chess as a sport.
                              Chess is an amazing activity / game / mental stimulus / etc... I would hope chess can be sold as / for what it is.
                              What you, Olga, and many other people do, in promoting the game, are important steps towards getting exposure, notoriety, public attention. And that must be the way forward.
                              However, I am of the opinion that we should not have to jump on the "Sports" bandwagon because people in government are narrow minded idiots. Frankly, selling chess for what it is sounds like it should be easier than trying to sell chess as a sport. Or maybe I am just out to lunch.

Alex F.
                              I agree with you Alex. Canadian Government should support chess as is. But they wouldn't support it when we just play it at home or in the park. I feel like it's 'the sporty, going to the competitions' part that needs to be supported. Mostly youth competitions. I mean, we all working adults here and can support ourselves. But it's difficult for parents of talented kids to send them somewhere with current prices. I have to formulate it better for the petition to the government.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

And Olga is a very loving person whose day job is taking care of young children. She cares very much for the lives of children.

This to me is the height of irony. Maybe if Olga actually went to an ER anywhere in Ontario, spent the day there and observed what goes on, she would have a total change of heart about her petition.

The lives of children, the lives of EVERYONE and their well-being, are in jeopardy each and every day because of lack of funding for hospitals, doctors, nurses, etc.

To try and take monies from taxpayers and force it to go to chess tournaments, when it could be going to health care, is a criminal act IMO. It smacks of greed; it puts chess ahead of children's lives. It doesn't matter the amounts, it's the principle. I've said this isn't really just about chess, but about ALL sports funding.

To me, Olga is naive and ignorant. Let the lack of funding for health care come into HER life or the life of someone she cares about like the children she takes care of, and it will rock her world.

She is not the real problem. She just needs an education. Taxpayer money isn't unlimited, and it comes not just from all taxpayers of today, but it also comes from the next generation. Interest rates are on the way up, and the youth of today may end up paying huge amounts in the future to pay for today's fundings.

I've laid it out for Olga, and i see she still goes ahead with her petition. There is such a thing as Karma and I hope it visits her, and also all the supporters of her petition. Who will be named in the media as people who put chess money ahead of money to save lives of fellow Canadians.

Again, a big black eye for chess in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                                X