Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hans Jung
    replied
    Well the Dutch dreams are coming true. First Anish Giri crushed Richard Rapport in spectacular fashion and then the game between Abdusattorov and Van Foreest has been chaotic - a spectacular fight!

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    I agree. Watching Magnus try to engineer checkmate (in round 12) was exciting.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    In the last round today the Dutch fans have plenty to cheer about. They want to see Van Foreest upset Abdusattarov and Anish Giri win Tata Steel!

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied
    I loved watching the Magnus endgame. Rather than accept the perpetual, he gives up his extra Rook and tries to win. Pragga had said his second Q to reach the position.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    In the last round Abdusattorov plays Van Foreest and Giri plays Rapport. In the challengers Donchenko has almost wrapped things up (just needs to avoid losing against Ivic).

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    In the challengers the L'Ami - Adibhan game was like watching paint dry for the longest time. Then on move 47? L'Ami decided on the break d5 but missed the zwischenzug Rb6 (watch those loose pieces!) and Adibhan wrapped up the rest of the game nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    So Abdusattorov, Van Foreest - Giri, and Carlsen - Pragga all ended up in tense endgames that were drawn. The leader board doesnt change any. After twelve rounds Abdusattorov still leads by a half point over Giri.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    Other challenger games - Warmerdam started the rook pawn going early which led to checkmating threats and transferred to a two bishops delight in the endgame,
    The Mishra game was an extended tactical melee (very exciting) where in the process of intricate tactics to force an edge Mishra sacked a piece for several pawns and quite the initiative. Very interesting endgame shaping up.
    Mishra game - what a finish! exciting.

The Warmerdam game was over too soon. Its the kind of endgame you want to go for 100 moves but only if youre white. One of those dream endgames.
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Saturday, 28th January, 2023, 05:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    In the challengers the only other player with a remote chance of catching Donchenko was Sindarov. But he is busy trying to hold a draw in a worse endgame. So it seems that Donchenko has wrapped up the tournament with his lovely win with one round to go.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    In the challengers Yilmaz seemed to have a large edge and his attack was developing but now there is a reversal. Whites attack has vanished and its Black's attack that seems to be crashing through. If this reversal continues it means that Donchenko has sewn up first place in the tournament,

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    Maghsoodloo has forced passed pawn chaos but is it enough to win? I think so - I still love his position.

Precise forcing play by Maghsoodloo to finish.
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Saturday, 28th January, 2023, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    In Gukesh - Aronian, Aronian tried forcibly to rid himself of the hanging pawns but it didnt seem to work. Will he find salvation in the rook and pawn endgame and find a draw?

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    In Rapport - Ding, Rapport has done all sorts of mystical knight moves back and forwards. I love it but dont quite understand it, but it involves some sort of fine timing. (if I tried it, it would probably end in disaster.

Magnificent knight play by Rapport to force a winning position.
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Saturday, 28th January, 2023, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    In Carlsen - Pragga Magnus has the two active knights vs Praggas two bishops in the middlegame. Pragga is defending on the razors edge.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    So - Abdusattarov is about as balanced as you can get in an endgame. Both sides are trying subtle pawn moves to unbalance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X