Fifty Years Chess Celebration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was great seeing you there Hal! There were alot of challenges last minute - including loss of internet connection from Saturday afternoon to this morning but the event was a fabulous success. I will post pictures and more when I finally get everything sorted out.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20230612-WA0051.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.9 KB ID:	227246Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230611_163617860 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.7 KB ID:	227247

Comment

Above: Gord Olheiser and his prize winning mug, probably wishing there was some of the excellent coffee left. We had two canisters 100 cups each but they were gone in it seemed no time.
        Frank Pushkedra animated and Tom Maclellan listening avidly in the background as we discuss our games of the last 50 years. You can see some of the cakes and sweets and desserts in the background. We had a chess cake with individual chocolate pieces which was a big hit. A German bundt cake with seven different fruits baked by 88 yr old Aunt Dora which creamed off the tongue. Aunt Dora is a force to be reckoned with. Fiercely intelligent and perceptive she not only baked but attended the event and listened and watched avidly for hours even though she had never seen a chess event before. We had a cake decorated with 50 strawberries and another with personalised many words for the celebration and hundreds of cookies, tarts and other goodies.
        Throughout the afternoon about 400 passed through with best wishes and sharing. The casual tournament was limited to 50 but many more spectated. Kyle VanW had three puzzle tables filled with challenging puzzles which was constantly busy. There was a power point picture presentation of my chess life with 50 pictures and explanations constantly looping (showing over and over).
        and of course two sets of giant pieces - one attended by Andrew Peredun who was super entertaining (as usual) with commentary and enthusiasm and one gifted to me by father-in-law Ed Thompson (what a fantastic gift and the best that I could think of replacing the two sets that the club had for years and "lost" by staff at City Hall)
        Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 14th June, 2023, 11:12 AM.

Comment

The prizes were 10 chess mugs with a picture of me and the words Hans Jung 50 years a celebration, 4 gift certificates to KW Used Books from owner Scott Hunter (a former student of Ed Thompson) and an antique chess table that was raffled off. Pictures by Rachel Dennison, Ben Guse, Steffan Roller, and Olga.
          Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 14th June, 2023, 02:13 PM.

Comment

All the best, Hans, in your next 50 years of chess!

Comment

Thanks Egidijus, now thats a lovely and at the same time sobering thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                Thanks Egidijus, now thats a lovely and at the same time sobering thought.
                Hans, glad your day was a big success!! Wish I could have been there.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Thanks Peter.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Celebration cakes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.0 KB ID:	227389Click image for larger version  Name:	Ed helping.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.9 KB ID:	227390
                    Last edited by Hans Jung; Thursday, 22nd June, 2023, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Picture on right above - some of the cakes and goodies. The chess piece cake on left with white and dark pieces and nanaimo bars for squares made by student Christina Watson. It was the biggest hit with the crowd! Beside it the Bundt cake baked by Aunt Dora. It too was something else.
                      Picture on the left Ed Thompson finds his trusty jackknife to open the prizes. Ed always finding some way to help.
                      Lots of players and chess buddies from the past showed up. Special moments with John Brown, Ian Finlay, Rob Gashgarian, Erik Malmsten, Frank Pushkedra, Thomas Verny, Patrick McDonald, Andrew Peredun, Gord Olheiser, Olga Muchtaler, Sam, Steffan Roller, Stuart Bevan, Hal Bond, Tom Maclellan, Kevin Chung, Avinaash Sundar, Scott Sergeant, Istvan Kiss, Albert Den Otter, Albert Runstedler, Sean and Mark Nelson, Christina Watson amongst many others.
                      Last edited by Hans Jung; Friday, 23rd June, 2023, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Hans Jung_ A Life in Chess.pdf Here is the life in chess document I wrote for my 50th celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                          [ATTACH]n227743[/ATTACH] Here is the life in chess document I wrote for my 50th celebration.
                          Read your "Life in Chess", with great pleasure Hans!
                          Just awesome! Not just an icon, or a legend, but a
                          living Canadian chess treasure! A million thanks, Hans.

Comment

Congratulations Hans!

Comment

Its dangerous to post such high praise on chesstalk Francis but I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words. I tried to keep the writing interesting with little stories and not get overwhelmed by details but in the process I left a lot of people out. I apologise to anyone who feels left out.

Comment

Working...
                              X