I am not trying to get another of those... (Not Chess Related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tough to Reason

Originally posted by Benoit St-Pierre View Post

As far as I can see, the hypothesis you are saying is confirmed by your chart seems held by only a few climatologists.

Only a few climatologists? Be patient Benoit.

The weather data from the year 2008 is so young it will take a while before you read a lot of reports about it.

The data from 2008 can suggest on charts:

1 - that there is no warming between 1979 and 2008 since the global temperature variation is only 0.0 to 0.1 degree.

2 - the sun has variations (before the launch of Cindy satellite in 2008 they thought there was no variations at all from the sun) and this is much more important than the human factor so far.

3 - the ice level could go back to 1979 in just one or two years and there is probably no problem at all with ice on long term.

4 - there is no global warming.

But on a scientific point of view, they have to wait for at least another year or more of data (2009-2010 winter results and 2009 sun black spots) before they can announce stronger conclusions. Who would announce such incredible conclusions base on only one year of positive data? The answer: some journalists who talks with the climatologists and this is why we had this report on the Finacial Post.

What next?

If 2009 data is like 2008 data then the climatologists will announce incredible positive conclusions like the one I listed here.

Lets wait 2009-2010.

Until then you will read more and more articles like the one presented in the Financial Post from which I recall this :

It's hard to be green when you're red-faced all the time. It's easy to be red-faced when your cause is global warming doomsterism.

This week, the doomsters were embarrassed to learn, once again, that the planet was not in grave peril. Antarctica, their greatest candidate for catastrophe, was not melting at an ever-faster rate, according to a report in Geophysical Research Letters, but at the slowest rate in 30 years. To add to their frustration, they couldn't even lash out at the lead author, Marco Tedesco of the Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Department of City College of New York -- the doomsters had praised his previous reports showing high rates of Antarctic melt.

The latest news from the Arctic -- delivered daily via satellite -- is no better. Two years ago with the Arctic ice in rapid retreat, the doomsters, convinced of the coming of an ice-free Arctic, could scarcely contain themselves. Now, with the Arctic ice in rapid return, their anticipation of disaster seems more a cruel hoax of Nature. The doomsters now dread to track the satellite data beamed down to us courtesy of the International Arctic Research Center and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency -- you can see why they cringe each day by going to the satellite website and following the red line: http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm. The red faces aren't all caused by Nature's refusal to cooperate in Earth's demise.

From this article, if you follow the link they give, you will see this chart (I put my comments below):

Each line represent a year. In 2007 (yellow line) the sea ice level went to a peak-low which scared some people (Al Gore, Michael Moore, etc). But then see how it went back up in 2008 (orange line). And 2009 (the red line, it stop in october) so far is simply "fantastic" (in may 2009 the red line goes even higher than any of the 7 other years). Fantastic for all of us.

Base on this I suggest three things: 1 - Celebrate, 2 - Be green anyway to live longer, 3 Have kids, the end of the world is not for the next century.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Wednesday, 14th October, 2009, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
      3 Have kids, the end of the world is not for the next century.

Carl
      I voted "I don't know" in the poll on climate change, as although I would bet money that people are causing at least some change in the climate, I wouldn't bet my life on it. However, it seems pretty clear to me that a lot of people should definitely not follow your point 3 if we want to avoid a mass dieoff within the next 50 years or so.

The planet is finite, and its resources are the same. You cannot indefinitely increase the numbers on this planet and expect some miracle to provide everyone with a reasonable standard of living. It seems to me that overpopulation is the third rail of the green movement, of governments and of religions. They can't really tell everyone that no matter how much people conserve, share and consume only what they need that eventually there will come a time of reckoning when there are simply too many people and not enough resources for everyone.

For anyone interested, search for "Albert Bartlett" on Youtube and check out his videos there. His lectures about how governments (both local and national) fail to comprehend even simple concepts like compounding would be hilarious if it weren't so serious.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
        Each line represent a year. In 2007 (yellow line) the sea ice level went to a peak-low which scared some people (Al Gore, Michael Moore, etc). But then see how it went back up in 2008 (orange line). And 2009 (the red line, it stop in october) so far is simply "fantastic" (in may 2009 the red line goes even higher than any of the 7 other years). Fantastic for all of us.
        And the commentary from the same data page:
        "Please note that this area (North Pole region) is also counted as sea-ice cover in our estimation of sea-ice extent. We may change the policy (i.e., filling the gap with full coverage of sea ice) in the near future due to the recent drastic reduction of Arctic sea ice."

Who could explain small bumps on lines during June over several years?

Comment

Being Patient

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          I voted "I don't know" in the poll on climate change, as although I would bet money that people are causing at least some change in the climate, I wouldn't bet my life on it.
          So you're the only other one who voted that you don't know. It took time, but we could finally agree on something. One must be patient, I presume. So Bilodeau is at least right with this word of caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            And the commentary from the same data page:
            "Please note that this area (North Pole region) is also counted as sea-ice cover in our estimation of sea-ice extent. We may change the policy (i.e., filling the gap with full coverage of sea ice) in the near future due to the recent drastic reduction of Arctic sea ice."

Who could explain small bumps on lines during June over several years?
            From what I remember, the UAH and RSS satellite systems have of global view of the whole earth except small spots in the hemispheres that they "can't see". These spots represent a very small percentage of the earth.

Here they probably found in one spot a drastic reduction of Arctic sea ice which spark the necessity to compensate with other source of mesure. This is for accuracy only. They chose the satellite position so that the blind spots would be ice-covered all year long. Seems like some spots did not react as expected.

I will edit this post when I find the info on these small spots.

Carl
            Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Wednesday, 14th October, 2009, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              I voted "I don't know" in the poll on climate change, as although I would bet money that people are causing at least some change in the climate, I wouldn't bet my life on it. However, it seems pretty clear to me that a lot of people should definitely not follow your point 3 if we want to avoid a mass dieoff within the next 50 years or so.

The planet is finite, and its resources are the same. You cannot indefinitely increase the numbers on this planet and expect some miracle to provide everyone with a reasonable standard of living. It seems to me that overpopulation is the third rail of the green movement, of governments and of religions. They can't really tell everyone that no matter how much people conserve, share and consume only what they need that eventually there will come a time of reckoning when there are simply too many people and not enough resources for everyone.

For anyone interested, search for "Albert Bartlett" on Youtube and check out his videos there. His lectures about how governments (both local and national) fail to comprehend even simple concepts like compounding would be hilarious if it weren't so serious.
              Then point number 3 should be: 3 - Make love (and some wars if required), the end of the world is not for the next century.

In 2075, give me plenty of energy, millions of intelligent robots (they will build the huge high citys on sea and land), and millions of good engineers and for sure earth, with total-recycling methods, could hold more than 100 billions humans whithout loosing a single animal species. And these humans will live 150 years.

Carl
              Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Wednesday, 14th October, 2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

100 billion humans without losing a single animal species. If you really believe this you are living in another world. We have had five great extinction periods on the earth, and we are presently undergoing the sixth. Global population is presently 6.7 billion and expected to peak at about 9 billion by 2070 or so. 100 billion is absurb, totally unbelievable... Talk about technology being your religion...

Comment

I do not know to begin since the information in this post is pure rubbish. Let me see...

Arctic Ice melt...
                  The lowest ice coverage in the Arctic in terms of area in recorded human history occurred in 2007. Next lowest was 2008 and third was 2009. If you look in the Globe and Mail today, data was just released from Cambridge University projecting that in 10 years ships will be able to sail across the North Pole, and in 20 years there will be no ice coverage of the Arctic in summers. Perhaps Carl should look at data on ice coverage on a longer time scale than above? As far as ice coverage matching that of 1979, this is totally false. Not only is the area decreasing, but the average thickness has significantly decreased.

No warming since 1979?
                  Totally untrue. Perhaps Carl could look at many web sites/books/scientific articles/magazines/etc instead of a few sites of dubious origin (and the National Post).

I quote "The 1990s were the warmest complete decade in the series. The warmest year of the entire series has been 1998, with a temperature of 0.546°C above the 1961-90 mean. Thirteen of the fourteen warmest years in the series have now occurred in the past fourteen years (1995-2008). The only year in the last fourteen not among the warmest fourteen is 1996 (replaced in the warm list by 1990). The period 2001-2008 (0.43°C above 1961-90 mean) is 0.19°C warmer than the 1991-2000 decade (0.24°C above 1961-90 mean)."

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/info/warming/

Regarding the "Cindy" satellite, I google this and can find nothing. What satellite are you referring to?

Comment

Re: Do You Read?

Just so that you know, Wikipedia is not peer reviewed by scientists. If you used it as a source in school you would definitely fail. Perhaps you should deepen your searches to peer reviewed original source papers?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                      Regarding the "Cindy" satellite, I google this and can find nothing. What satellite are you referring to?
                      use your imagination and wiki ;)
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CINDI

Comment

Thanks Egidijus. CINDI is a NASA satellite studying charged particles in space, not in the atmosphere.
                        http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cindi/

I quote from this web site "CINDI will study the elements that influence space weather near Earth’s equator."

Sorry Carl, you will have to try harder. Space weather is not weather in the atmosphere on earth. Space weather is the interaction of charged particles with the magnetic field of our planet. These charged particles originate in the sun, and follow the Van Allen belts to the earth. When they reach our atmosphere at the poles (following the magnetic lines of force) they interact with oxygen and nitrogen in the upper atmosphere and cause things like the aurorae borealis (northern lights). This is totally different from weather in our atmosphere.

In other words, CINDI has no direct measurements on climate change...

Comment

A Watermelon in the Sky

CINDI is a NASA satellite studying charged particles in space, not in the atmosphere.
                          If the satellite is from NASA, it sure thinks like an eco-extremist and suggests unclean inferences.

Joking aside, and since I have been censored by Larry earlier, here is the more balanced article I have seen so far to presenting the problem about interpreting the data, **A Cherry-Picker’s Guide to Temperature Trends (down, flat–even up)** :

http://masterresource.org/?p=5240

It might not be as entertaing as a National Post op-ed, but it is way more instructive. No right-minded people should consider the author an eco-extremist watermelon (green outside, red inside) : he's an objectivist. If you tell an objectivist he's left-winged, he will laugh at you. And if he's on his service hours, he'll talk you about Ayn Rand and will try to convince you to be even more on the right spectrum than conservatives.
                          Last edited by Benoit St-Pierre; Thursday, 15th October, 2009, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Re: A Watermelon in the Sky

I do not think that article is too balanced, here is information on the author:

"Chip Knappenberger, who is also referred to as Paul C. Knappenberger, is the Administrator of the World Climate Report[1], a blog published by New Hope Environmental Services, "an advocacy science consulting firm"[2] run by global warming skeptic, Patrick J. Michaels. New Hope Environmental Services does not disclose its clients but these have included fossil-fuel based power utilities including Tri-State Generation & Transmission Association and Intermountain Rural Electric Association. In an affidavit in a court case Michaels argued against disclosure of his clients on the grounds that "large companies are understandably adverse to negative publicity. Thus, the global warming controversy has created an environment in which companies who wish to support New Hope's research and advocacy about global warming science are increasingly willing to do so only if their support remains confidential."[3]
                            Knappenberger has co-authored several papers with fellow warming skeptic Patrick Michaels (see the resources section below) and is a contributor to MasterResource, a "free-market energy blog."[4] "

Comment

Lessons So Far

I do not think that article is too balanced, here is information on the author:
                              I understand your concern, but I don't really care for the author's beliefs, as long as what he's telling me is interesting. I think he's being honest about where he stands, which for once he does not equal to Science itself. If we're to stick to ad hominems (which sometimes have their use, I admit), it will be tough to satisfy both you and Mr. Bilodeau with one reference!

That said, what he's doing there is quite important for the discussion about data. In a nutchell, what he's showing is HOW one can twist the data in a way that it "suggests" some hypothesis. For that job only, you must agree that it has some impact.

What is missing, of course, from that kind of data crunching, is relevance. Here is what I just found by explicitely removing from Google every reference of blogs like Climate Audit :

http://www.examiner.com/x-9111-SF-En...elke-Sr-part-1

(The deniers are winning the Google war: climatologists should beware.)

A bit of context : Stephen Schneider, a climatologist from Stanford, got tired of the juvenile rants of deniers and challenged them to step up on a clean debate platform. Roger Pielke Sr. took the challenge. The link provides the first part of his interview. This kind of reading provides some perspectives about the statistical guerrila warfare. For instance, Pielke proposes what seems to me a very sensible idea :

What do you think the average global surface temperatures will be at the end of this century?

I have no idea. In any case, this metric is almost useless not only for the regional climate changes that could occur, but even as a diagnostic of global warming and cooling. Warming and cooling should be measured in Joules. I discuss this issue in my recent Physics Today article [http://www.climatesci.org/publications/pdf/R-334.pdf]. We also document a variety of serious issues with using surface temperature observations to diagnose global warming including warm biases (e.g. see http://www.climatesci.org/publications/pdf/R-321.pdf).
                              If this idea is remotely sensible, we might then cogitate on Cindy's suggestions and think a bit by ourselves ;-) There are other interesting interviews there too, with a broad range of opinions. They can be found in the right list of links that provides the Examiner's page.

Here is what I have learned so far. The public needs to understand that the blogging guerilla led by Climate Audit and the like is not mainly science : it sure has valuable scientific content, but the end is mostly political (minimally about scientific institutions), the most blatant proof being that we are witnessing right now characters assassination that span on years. (We even have a guy working for Ouranos joining the gang bang; I told one of his collegue.) This kind of strategy goes on because the public believes they need the scientists to tell them what to do about regulations and policies, a belief that exploits malevolent powers since the beginning of time. What they are trying to do is clear : while poking here and there about statistics, data gathering, modeling, etc., to keep hammering silently (letting the skepticism speak all by itself) that

+ Science is uncertain.
                              + Causes are exagerated.
                              + Technology will solve the problem.
                              + We don't need no regulation.

To solve that problem, we need to promote the idea that science is not about reaching consensus. There can be debate, debate is good. However hindering, however annnoying, it is a right and an obligation. We also need to promote the idea that politics is more important than all the sciences: science is a tool for people, not the other way around. We just can't wait for Cindy to suggest that now is the time to take our responsibilities. There are times to debate, to think, and to act.

It seems that I can too editorialize... ;-)

ADD. Since I seem to have double posted, I'll move on the new thread, after a short break.
                              Last edited by Benoit St-Pierre; Monday, 26th October, 2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Re: A Watermelon in the Sky

Originally posted by Benoit St-Pierre View Post
                                he's an objectivist.
                                I.E., more or less completely irrational.

Comment

Working...
                                X