What was the best tournament you ever played in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
    So many memories. 1) David Lavin's 1985 Toronto International with Korchnoi, Benjamin, Wilder, Norwood, Fedorowicz and Ivanov to name a few....
    Since you mention it:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 Toronto Intl Rd9 postmortem - Norwood Findlay Spraggett - 1b.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	227187

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post

This tournament was poorly attended, and I managed to squeak into the premiere section at the last minute. Out of my league, I did manage a nice win against Thavandiran in a brutal time-scramble. He did not look pleased. Also a nice last-round checkmate against 2nd place finisher Charlie Tang.

I also had Noritsyn on the ropes after an early opening error, but fell apart "tragically" as David Lavin put it, he was sitting at the next board. Probably he was crying. The PGN is incomplete, probably because it came from my scoresheet. if you get my drift.

LOL
      Last edited by Fred Henderson; Tuesday, 13th June, 2023, 02:05 PM.

Comment

2014 NATO Chess Championship at the Citadelle in Quebec City. Organized by Regis Bellemare. 14 teams including two from Canada. The awards banquet was held in the members' dining room at the Quebec National Assembly with the 22nd Regiment Van Doos band providing the music.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

For a major event, the 1999 Pan American Intercollegiate Team Championship, organized by the University of Toronto, at the Primrose Hotel, Toronto. Very well run, with a large turnout and a complex set of events to manage. I played in the associated Open event, top section, and scored two draws in the same day against Masters (Brett Campbell and Mark Bluvshtein). I think there were at least three other Class sections. They also put together a Scholastic event, won by Stephen Glinert, if memory serves. Keeping track of all that was happening took enormous efforts, and some USCF personnel assisted with the Pan Am portion, which was very useful. I think Christopher Chu and Brian Lamb were the major players from the organizational standpoint.

For a smaller event, the 1988 Ontario Open in Arnprior. Very well run by Herb Langer.

Comment

I did have the pleasure of playing in the Vancouver 1975 tournament, which was won easily by Paul Keres, his last tournament. Walter Browne was there, looking very intense at the board. Also Istvan Bilek, pretty sure he was smoking like a chimney at the board, looking like he's been sleeping in his suit. Keres was immaculately grooned and dressed in formal suit and tie. Jonathan Berry was tournament director.

One thing that I remember distinctly, and I swear on my recently departed mother's grave (age 89, R.I.P), than when John Watson had his turn against Keres, He had an open 12-pack of Okeefe's Extra Old Stock, and was sipping a beer at the table in the early stages of the game. No one has ever corroborated that.

Comment

Working...
            X