Thread Proliferation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Proliferation

Do we really need 10 threads on the 2008 Canadian/Quebec Open?!

Other moderated web discussion boards manage, quite easily, to keep the minimum number of threads on any topic. In doing so, all the information is together, duplication is avoided, and small matters of interest are seen by everyone who is following the topic and reads the few threads. I don't know if it is due to a lack of moderation or ignorance by ChessTalk users ... but whatever the cause it should be remedied. How about 1 thread on the Canadian Open for starters?

Of course, the primitive website that WAS ChessTalk (and is still in use, at least for English-speaking users) benefited from such a clumsy approach because threads would literally roll off the page never to be seen again. Having the most recent thread was a way to ensure longevity. But we're past that now, aren't we?

COCC Live on Monroi.com

Request from I. Rozybakiyev

40 games from Round 1

and so on ...

COCC Playing venue
    Results and pairings R3
    Games from R1 and R2
    Welcome to Montreal
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 22nd July, 2008, 12:24 PM. Reason: To add links to the many, many threads on the Open to prove my point.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: Thread Proliferation

Certainly a moderator could manage it, however I don't have the time, Larry apparently doesn't care much about this new board for English users (and probably doesn't have time) ... you or someone could always offer to moderate on a volunteer basis and see if Larry would like that.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      Certainly a moderator could manage it, however I don't have the time, Larry apparently doesn't care much about this new board for English users (and probably doesn't have time) ... you or someone could always offer to moderate on a volunteer basis and see if Larry would like that.
      New threads are like Doritos. There will always be more.

I'd volunteer but there's at least one guy who thinks I should be banned. :D
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: Thread Proliferation

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        New threads are like Doritos.
        But they aren't delicious :(

I already tried to offer my help but Chris didn't answer me

Comment

Chris: OK, I've sent a note to Larry.

It might be useful to have, in addition to the Sticky Thread about which Discussion Board is preferred, another thread with useful pointers about posting, netiquette, etc. Such a thread should point out that thread proliferation isn't, generally, a good thing.
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Thread Proliferation

Sorry I must have missed that, but in any case it's not up to me, you should get in touch with Larry. :)
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
            X