Steven Galen's puzzle books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Galen's puzzle books

Does anybody have copies of these that they want to part with?

These are wonderful compositions by a low-level exert player. Worth noting was that I'm pretty sure Galen was a "pen-name". His real name in CFC play was something else. Anyways, there is this..

Galen's Chess Problems - Main Index (stevengalen.com)

Comment

From long ago....posted by the late Bill Evan's:

A beautiful study by Canada's Steve Laughlin

Sunday, 10th August, 2008, 10:05 PM
      Here is a sample of the quality of composition produced by Steve Laughlin of Toronto. Steve has finished another book that I will convert to a PDF file complete with full colour coded solutions. Contact me for more info.

White to play and win.
      Hint: Fritz has a lot of problem with this one (it's too deep)
      Tags: None

Comment

I have Steven Galen's puzzle books. I love his puzzles and share them with select students.

Comment

That's quite a problem. It looked to me that White had a way out by sacing his pieces, but zugzwang wins out in the end.

Comment

I tried using Fritz to solve the problem, but it still thinks Black is winning after White's first move - and even after White's and Black's second moves. As soon as I enter White's third move, Fritz starts announcing mates for White. I'm curious whether any other engines come up with the solution.

Comment

Once I set it up (FRITZ 18) and said Infinite Analysis, it almost immediately gave 1.Kd2+ with mate in 15, also gave 1.Kf2+ and mate in 19 soon after.
              Something wrong with that solution? I don't have the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                I tried using Fritz to solve the problem, but it still thinks Black is winning after White's first move - and even after White's and Black's second moves. As soon as I enter White's third move, Fritz starts announcing mates for White. I'm curious whether any other engines come up with the solution.
                Stockfish 10 infinite analysis on quad cored computer found mate in 15 at 3:13 minutes.

I've seen players use their phone in post-game analysis for an instant evaluation, but in some positions the computer needs five minutes to find the best move.

Comment

I must admit I was using Fritz 5, so I assume more recent versions are capable of finding 1. Kd2.

Comment

Working...
                  X