The London System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The London System

Another crap opening that I woukl never play, and love to face.

Maybe an easy opening to learn, and successful if you play weakies, I imagine Carlsen might play it just for laughs though. No player who wants to up his/her game would stay long with it. With a little homework it is very easy for Black to equalize.

Thank=you
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Saturday, 1st April, 2023, 07:36 AM.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-...onship-2023-g6 Ding Liren plays the London and wins.

Comment

The whole point of the opening is to reach a playable middle game where white is comfortable in the relatively equal position and more familiar with how to proceed. Yes there are multiple ways for black to equalize and maybe even achieve a slight edge in some of the main lines (Grunfeld setup, King's Indian setup, reverse Queen's Gambit setup). I do not play this opening as white but I can understand why someone might. There are two chessable repertoires on the Queen's Gambit reversed setup that works well. The computer really likes the black lines as far as reported accuracy. The only drawback to playing it is if you do play it on chess.com you run the risk of being accused of cheating because of the high accuracy particularly if you are a young improving player.

Comment

I have been playing the London system for a couple of months and it is quite interesting. Not without venom, I had some big attacks with it and a lot of small to big positional advantages. The pieces develop easily and on good square, I can see the appeal now. This system is used by Magnus and is the main weapon of longtime super GM Gata Kamsky.

Comment

Also Ding Liren won a brilliant game in the London in the WC match. Ding found it strong enough to play it in the world championship, not bad .

Comment

Yes checkout GM Gata Kamsky's games with it. He is a true chess artist. Mouth watering positions.

Comment

Oooh, two of the top dogs have responded. I'm afraid to look, at the moment. But the basic idea is a very quick ...b6 followed by ...Ba6, trading off the light square bishops, Whites best piece. White really should play c4 instead of c3 in these lines, but then it is a transposition out of the London System, no? Into an unfavorable version, for White that is, of the QGD. IMNSHO

Last edited by Fred Henderson; Wednesday, 19th April, 2023, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X