World Championship Nepo - Diren Ling... poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Championship Nepo - Diren Ling... poll

The World Championship match will be held in Astana, Kazakhstan, from 7 April to 1 May 2023. The players are Nepo and Ding Liren. It will be a 14-game match, with players alternating the white and black pieces. If the match is drawn, a series of rapid games will be used as a tie-breaker. The time control will be 120 minutes for the first 40 moves, 60 minutes for the next 20 moves, and 15 minutes for the remainder, plus an increment of 30 seconds per move beginning at move 61. The same format was used for the previous world championship in 2021.

The prize fund will be €2 million, split 60% for the winning player and 40% for the loser.

So, who will win?
    Nepo
    37.50%
    Ding Liren
    25.00%
    doesn't matter, Carlsen is the best player
    37.50%
    Last edited by John Coleman; Monday, 3rd April, 2023, 03:31 PM. Reason: I blame it on dyslexia

Voted doesn't matter. Time will come when whoever wins this is seen as this decade's Khalifman or Ponomariov - nice strong pro, didn't win the real world championship and won't be recognized as such.

Comment

Perhaps true. We'll see what the long term repercusions are of Magnus giving up the title. It might be different from last time. The chess world is changing.

Comment

Nepo runs very hot and very cold, perhaps because of mood swings. If he is on the upswing, he will crush Ding, if he is on the downswing, he will be crushed himself. Possibly his mood will change sometime during the match, and if so a radical comeback, or a radical collapse could take place. Personally, I do not care about Carlsen's retirement from the title (in fact I think chess is better as a result, we do not need sucks who toss games like him in chess), the winner of this match will be THE World Champion of Chess, period. I am very much looking forward to the games.

Comment

Hmmm... 140 views, 11 votes. Something tells me that chess-talkers aren't very interested...

Comment

The match will start on Sunday April 9, with games on April 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 20, 21, 23, 24, 26, 27, 29. If necessary, tiebreaks will be held on April 30. Start times are 5 am EDT or 2 an PDT.

Comment

Magnus is clearly the best player and possibly the greatest of all time and he is still in his prime. A WC match without him is a bit pointless to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Andre Beaudry View Post
                Magnus is clearly the best player and possibly the greatest of all time and he is still in his prime. A WC match without him is a bit pointless to me.
                Absolutely!
                Brad Thomson - President of the Magnus Carlsen Fan Club,
                is working actively to bring Magnus back to the WC fold!

Comment

Marc Andre and Francis, I do not see the match as pointless, just because Magnus does not want to play. What should FIDE do in your view, go on without a champion until Magnus fully retires or at least until he is not the highest rated player? Bjorn Borg won Wimbledon five times in a row and then retired. Should they have cancelled the event? Rocky Marciano retired undefeated, should they have waited until he passed away before crowning a new champion? Please gentleman, be realistic. :)

I would welcome Magnus back if he promised not to toss any more games, we all deserve a second chance. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X