2023 Icelandic Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Icelandic Championship

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2500719 Icelandic Championship Kjartansson beat Stefansson in the Icelandic Championship in this fascinating (for me) game. Now the question is Stefansson won all his other games and Kjartansson was undefeated. With my limited understanding of Icelandic I understand that Stefansson won the championship so he must have won it in playoffs and therefore Kjartanssons two draws ended up costing him. Hannes Stefansson has won the Icelandic Championship 13 times! so he is becoming a living legend. I played Hannes in 1986 when he was 13 yrs old. My question goes to Halldor (who is an expert on all things Icelandic imo) Was there a playoff? and if so what happened? Is my version of events remotely accurate?

I also know Gudmundur Kjartansson. I shared an enjoyable airplane ride with him from St Louis to Toronto where he revealed to me how he analyses and looks for improvements. At that point he was a long suffering IM who took forever to get the GM title. To me he is a model of the hard work it takes to become a GM.

Comment

There was a playoff of 5 min plus 3 sec a move. The new 20 year old GM Vignir Vatnar Stefanson won it with Hannes second and Gudmundur third. GM Johann Hjartarson was playing but it was a tough tournament for him.

I watched the Championship on chess in Icelandic on Youtube as much as I could. However with the Ontario Open and three GMs as house guests it was busy!

Comment

Thanks Halldor.

Comment

Working...
        X