Norway Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norway Chess

Norway Chess has started with a bang!https://en.chessbase.com/post/norway...feats-firouzja Both Gukesh against Firoujza and Caruana against Magnus won amazing games. Firoujza had a decent opening and looked like he had shredded Gukesh's kingside. So what went wrong? Basically Gukesh saw further in the final simplifying combination.

Rd 2 The sleeping lions awaken. Both Magnus and Firoujza bounce back. Nakamura used the two bishops well to bring Gukesh back to reality. Caruana continues to win (against Giri) and leads with 2-0.

Comment

Rd 3 Nakamura tried a King's Gambit against Magnus. I guess ok but it sure didnt help him. Magnus and Gukesh won.

Comment

Rd 3 continued --- Firoujza 34...Nxf2 zwischenzug! and 59...Qf2 on the same square to end the game!

Meanwhile Caruana is streaking along with 3-0 now and of course leads the field.

Comment

I have to say this tournament is riveting! I seldom watch tournament coverage but this lineup and the format makes for some entertaining chess. Start with the scoring system. 3 points for a win, zero for a loss. In order to score 1.5 in a drawn game, you have to win your Armageddon rematch, which is happens when you draw your classical encounter. Lose your Armageddon game and you only get one point - a third of the value of a classical win. So I am happy to see a draw in the rated game - it means you are treated to a blood match 20 minutes afterwards.

The time control is also challenging. Only 2 hours each for the game, and only a 10 second increment after move 40. So if you get into time trouble you stay there. The commentators believed that recording is compulsory throughout, (or atleast after move 40), which is a departure from Article 8 in the FIDE Laws of chess, which requires a 30 second increment. Not sure what happens if a player has only 5 minutes prior to move 40, it doesn't appear to have happened yet.

I also find the roster quite compelling. Firoujza is back along with 2 other mighty teenagers - Abdusatarov and 17 year old Gukesh. Carlsen started with a loss to Caruana but has maximized the next two draws against So and Naka by winning the Armgeddons. I think he is starting to flow.

Comment

Rd 4 All potential endgames. I'm loving it. Also loved listening to Judit Polgar.

Comment

Rd 4 Giri's impulsiveness gets punished. Instead of playing on with a good knight he sacked the exchange on d5. Congratulations to Nakamura for cleverly exploiting a bad knight endgame.

Even the "simple" endgames are hard to play accurately sometimes.
              Last edited by Hans Jung; Saturday, 3rd June, 2023, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Rd 4 Enjoying the unfolding saga of the Firoujza - Caruana game.

Comment

Rd 4 Caruanas manhandling of Firoujza and Gukesh - Carlsen were games of the round.

Comment

Caruana is on fire at that tournament. Maybe Magnus retirement as WC gives him additional motivation.

Comment

You are sailing along smoothly and then all of a sudden - bang! The Shak strikes big and knocks off Caruana!

Comment

Rd 6 You might say of course Caruana will bounce back but it wasnt clear until the last moves between him and Abdussatarov - exciting tactics!

All the armageddon games this round were exciting.

Comment

I really love this format with the Armageddon in case you draw. It is very exciting.

Comment

Absolutely agree Marc Andre, and well worth watching for entertainment. If that doesnt get you going, nothing chessically will.

Comment

Rd 7 Wild armageddon endgame between Shak and Nakamura.

Comment

Working...
                              X