CFC Rating Stats: Adult Members Av./Junior Memb. Av.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Rating Stats: Adult Members Av./Junior Memb. Av.

My CFC Ratings Questions

A. Can the CFC database be manipulated so as to give the current average rating of each of the adult pool and the junior pool?
    B. If so, do we need to use the out of date membership numbers below?

Here is what I have so far:

Total CFC Paid-Up Members: 2,547 (22/5/1 Stats)

(My Calculations - Post # 16 on the thread: Chess by age in Canada using FIDE data - no one corrected them)

Adults: 1,571
    Juniors: 976

I posted these questions on May 20 (Post # 20 in the other thread) and had no replies.

I did raise this question with CFC Exec. Dir., Bob Gillanders, earlier this year. He did not have these stats, and believed they could be retrieved from the CFC Data Base, but was not sure.

It seems the question must now go back to Bob G, since no one else seems to know the answer to my question (Nor has anyone come up with the average ratings of the two pools).

Bob G? Help!

Bob A

P.S. I have started a new thread for this since I kind of was high-jacking the other thread, which really dealt with a different issue.

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    My CFC Ratings Questions

I did raise this question with CFC Exec. Dir., Bob Gillanders, earlier this year. He did not have these stats, and believed they could be retrieved from the CFC Data Base, but was not sure.
    Bob G? Help!
    Morning Bob, I did get a chance to crunch some numbers on Saturday while TD in Milton.

Massaging the membership data as of May 1, 2023

I was interested in breaking down the membership by age and also between Pre-Covid members vs. Post-Covid new members.
    To get to a reasonable stable base, I am including only
    1. Members with annual memberships (excluding tournament fee and life members).
    2. Established regular ratings only.
    3. We have a date of birth in database.

I get the following average Regular Ratings

Before COVID membership (CFC # < 173000)

Juniors (U20) 1501
    Adults (20-50) 1754
    Seniors (over 50) 1658

After COVID membership (CFC # 173000 +)

Juniors 1192
    Adults 1522
    Seniors 1362

There you go, for what it's worth. Next step will be to do the calculations from 3 years ago, before COVID, and going forward.

Comment

Thanks for the above Bob G.

I'll now go away and try to see if any revelations are between the stats lines on this!

Bob A

Comment

This and other kinds of manipulation should be easy enough with Microsoft Excel or something. Key is proper sorting to minimize the amount of math. Used to do this all the time, 20 years ago.

Comment

A Quick Question

My Notes:

Junior Drop: 309 pts

Adult Drop: 232 pts.

Senior Drop: 296 pts.
          It is my assumption that this drop is a result of the large influx of "newbies" into the rating pool, coming to OTB after being "on-line" during the pandemic. Does this seem right? Adjusting to the clock and scoring, after their first not-so-good tournament, do they then start cannibalizing the rating points of the long-established players, as they start climbing the ladder (And there are a lot of them doing this!)

A 2nd Quick Question

Using Seniors as an example: In 3 years, has the playing strength of seniors dropped equally with their almost 300 rating points drop?

Bob A

Comment

A 2nd Quick Question

Using Seniors as an example: In 3 years, has the playing strength of seniors dropped equally with their almost 300 rating points drop?
            Bob, you know seniors: thus look at their rating over three years at the CFC website, and you would make a better conclusion. Even check your rating graph. Did you drop 300 points?

From provided numbers it is not even clear what the percentage of players are still in the "field". It is clear that there was a big influx of "new" members. "New" is also a relative thing, maybe some have already been members before.

Check the newest CFC 2023 stats

https://www.chess.ca/en/cfc/membership-statistics/

Adults:
            2022 --> 968
            2023 --> 1521 (~ +45 new Life)

Comment

Is there any resource that explains the math and how any rating bonuses currently work?

Comment

A Quick Question

My Notes:

Junior Drop: 309 pts

Adult Drop: 232 pts.

Senior Drop: 296 pts.
                It is my assumption that this drop is a result of the large influx of "newbies" into the rating pool, coming to OTB after being "on-line" during the pandemic. Does this seem right? Adjusting to the clock and scoring, after their first not-so-good tournament, do they then start cannibalizing the rating points of the long-established players, as they start climbing the ladder (And there are a lot of them doing this!)

A 2nd Quick Question

Bob A
                Bob, you have completely misunderstood my stats..............
                There are two groups of people.

Group 1 - those with CFC numbers less than 173000. These are the Pre-covid group, ie. they were CFC members before Covid.
                Group 2 - those with CFC numbers 173000 + they are the memberships joining CFC after Covid.

All the average ratings are as of May 1, 2023.

Further analysis at different times are required to see ups or downs in ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Bob, you know seniors: thus look at their rating over three years at the CFC website, and you would make a better conclusion. Even check your rating graph. Did you drop 300 points?

From provided numbers it is not even clear what the percentage of players are still in the "field". It is clear that there was a big influx of "new" members. "New" is also a relative thing, maybe some have already been members before.

Check the newest CFC 2023 stats

https://www.chess.ca/en/cfc/membership-statistics/

Adults:
                  2022 --> 968
                  2023 --> 1521 (~ +45 new Life)
                  Egis, you have completely misunderstood my stats. Both you and Bob A. so it must be my fault, not communicating clearly. :(
                  Please see my reply to him. Hopefully more clear now.

I also got emails with totally different take on my stats. I am so misunderstood.

Sad.

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 5th June, 2023, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Langridge View Post
                    Is there any resource that explains the math and how any rating bonuses currently work?
                    If you go to the CFC website and click on CFC, then Legacy CFC handbook, then go to section 4 Ratings.
                    It is all explained there. Formulas etc....

Comment

Bob A's Notes on Correct Understanding of the Stats of Bob G (Above)

Background

There are three membership levels being used here: Junior, Adult, Senior. The stats are for membership as of May 1, 2023. Note that not ALL members were included in the provided stats in order to get to a reasonable stable base. The members included are:

i) Members with annual memberships (excluding tournament fee and life members).
                      ii) Established regular ratings only.
                      iii) CFC has a date of birth in database.

Bob A's Conclusions

1. Post-COVID new Juniors are significantly weaker (1192) than the existing Pre-COVID Juniors (1501); the difference in Av. Rating of the two pools of Juniors: 309 pts.!

2. Post-COVID new Adults (1522) are also weaker than the Pre-COVID Adults (1522); the difference in Av. Rating of the two pools of Adults: 232 pts.!

3. Post-COVID new Seniors are also significantly weaker (1362) than the existing Pre-COVID Seniors (1658); the difference in Av. Rating of the two pools of Seniors: 296 pts.!

4. The difference in the two pools of the same membership is quite large. The large influx of "newbies" into the membership pool post-pandemic, coming to OTB after being "on-line" during the pandemic, initially had trouble adjusting to the clock and scoring. Their first not-so-good tournament result meant a low start to their provisional rating games. But as they adjust, they then start cannibalizing the rating points of the somewhat higher, long-established players, as they start climbing the ladder (And there are a lot of them doing this!).

5. From May 1, 2023 to April 30, 2024, these new “Hungry” players are going to raise their ratings at the expense of higher rated players. The average rating of the membership group should stay stable, but the established players are going to see their ratings drop like a stone.

Any comments on my new conclusions (Assuming I've now got the stats right)?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        Egis, you have completely misunderstood my stats
                        My bad - confused those magic 173xxxx..

Though no wonder that they are rated lower too - it is not that the CFC received many strong players from somewhere, and they jumped straightforward above 2000.

Comment

Bob A's Notes on Correct Understanding of the Stats of Bob G (Above)

Bob A's Conclusions

1. Post-COVID new Juniors are significantly weaker (1192) than the existing Pre-COVID Juniors (1501); the difference in Av. Rating of the two pools of Juniors: 309 pts.!

2. Post-COVID new Adults (1522) are also weaker than the Pre-COVID Adults (1522); the difference in Av. Rating of the two pools of Adults: 232 pts.!

3. Post-COVID new Seniors are also significantly weaker (1362) than the existing Pre-COVID Seniors (1658); the difference in Av. Rating of the two pools of Seniors: 296 pts.!

Any comments on my new conclusions (Assuming I've now got the stats right)?

Bob A
                          errr.. no! You are not comparing apples to apples.

The PreCovid group includes many established players - GMs, IMs, NMs, etc. How many newbies start at the top?

What you want to compare for the statement you are trying to make is:

PreCovid newbies in 2019 [i.e. people who joined in 2019 or so] and their average rating in 2019 compared to Post Covid newbies in 2023 and their average rating now.

Last edited by Roger Patterson; Monday, 5th June, 2023, 05:03 PM. Reason: expanded on what a pre-covid newbie would be

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

errr.. no! You are not comparing apples to apples.

The PreCovid group includes many established players - GMs, IMs, NMs, etc. How many newbies start at the top?

What you want to compare for the statement you are trying to make is:

PreCovid newbies in 2019 [i.e. people who joined in 2019 or so] and their average rating in 2019 compared to Post Covid newbies in 2023 and their average rating now.
                            I would also add that you seem to be under a misapprehension of how the rating system works. Newbies have a provisional rating calculated [i.e. if all works as intended, no net effect on the rating system]. They don't start [fully] cannabilizing existing rating points through improvement until they have an established rating.

Comment

Thanks Roger - I''ll have to chew on all that a bit.

I considered the 25 game (Is this correct) provisional situation, but it seems I didn't do it right.......I'll think on it!

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                              X