Toronto 2009 vs 2008 Large Weekend Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto 2009 vs 2008 Large Weekend Tournaments

I did a little table of tourneys(large weekenders) in Toronto for 2009 & 2008. It has been a terrific year in Toronto.
    See table below

Wilf Ferner

Toronto 2009 Large Weekend TournamentsSource: CFC Tournament Tables
    Hart House Reading Feb 22 open plus 2 sections total:93
    PwC Toronto Open Apr 19 open plus 2 sections total:201
    Hart House Summer Jul 5 open plus 4 sections total:141
    Toronto Labour Day Sep 7 open plus 4 sections total: 178
    Toronto Thanksgiving Oct 12 open plus 4 sections total: 138
    Hart House Holidays Dec 20 open plus 3 sections total: 124
    Total: 875
    In comparison:
    Toronto 2008 Large Weekend TournamentsSource: CFC Tournament Tables
    Toronto Canada Open Jun 29 open plus 3 sections total:123
    Mahem on Midland Aug 24 open plus 2 sections total: 52
    Toronto Labour Day Sep 1 open plus 4 sections total: 142
    Toronto Thanksgiving Oct 13 open plus 4 sections total: 92
    Hart House Holidays Dec 21 open plus 2 sections total:91
    Grand Total: 500
    Last edited by Wilf Ferner; Thursday, 18th February, 2010, 09:31 AM. Reason: corrected old data & added HH Holidays to 2009

Re: Toronto 2009 vs 2008 Large Weekend Tournaments

Originally posted by Wilf Ferner View Post
    I did a little table of tourneys(large weekenders) in Toronto for 2009 & 2008.
    Nice numbers.

Some kind of an anomaly at Labour day events - they attract more people than other events (exluding PwC).
    It would be interesting to check Simcoe Days in previous years. (Victoria day is dedicated for Ontario Open)

Comment

Let's go back to a "Fischer boom" year - 1973. Here are some major Toronto tournaments reported in issues of "Chess Canada" from that year:

"The first Simpsons Amateur Chess Tournament ended in Toronto March 24th, with over five hundred entries having been reduced to 27 finalists..."
      (probably not CFC-rated. Probably a scholastic tournament - featured Alan Browne (12), and Mrtin Buchholz (14).)

Toronto Open - 350 players at Hart House. (Geza Fuster and Victor Dzera finshed with 5-1. John Burstow (5.5-0.5) won the Intermediate; Raymond Wiryaman and Arvils Perro (6-0) won the 231-player Novice section).

Ontario Open - 250 players at New College, U of T. (Peter Nurmi, John MacPhail, Joe Horton, and George Berner won the Premier; Grant Treller and Lorne Yee the Imtermediate; Martin Buchholz, Robert Morenz, and Paul Hord the Novice). I noticed the name"D. Lautier" with 1.5/6 in the Premier section. Father of Joel?

There appears to have been no Simcoe Day Open due to the proximity of the Canadian Open in Ottawa.

Labour Day Open "failed to attract the expected turnout in spite of the large prizes [roughly $3000] offered". There wre still 331 players. George Kuprejanov (6-0) won the Premier; Ian Kilgour (6-0) the Intermediate; Dick Page (6-0) the Novice.

The Bay - CKFM Junior attracted 370 players to the Ontario Science Centre. The 16-19 age class was won by Bryon Nickoloff and Peter Nurmi; the 13-15 age class by Martin Buchholz and Brett Campbell; the 12 and under class by Ingvar Liitoja and Bill Cole.

No report of anything held over the Thanksgiving weekend (or any other major Toronto events later in the year) - however, there were a number of Toronto players in the Quebec Open which was in Montreal the same weekend.

Comment

Hi Wilf,

My Hart House figures differ from yours a little bit (some people crossed over and played at least 1 game in 2 sections), but overall these are good observations. I think as Hans Jung mentioned in a thread below, Brian Fiedler and PwC Toronto Open are greatly responsible for this increase. Bringing back old members, putting chess back in a great hall, etc...
        In my opinion, the lack of clubs in Toronto may very well also be responsible for an increase in weekend events' participation. Back at the BGC, several players could enjoy chess any day of the week, and because of it some of them may have been willing to skip out on the weekend events. Toronto is starving for chess, so the weekend events fill up. Scarborough Chess Club has also been booming, and some of SCC's members were regulars at BGC who relocated.

I think big thanks are in order to Brian Fiedler and Bryan Lamb for giving the Toronto Chess Arena some life. Bryan Lamb was TD for 9 of the 10 events mentioned above.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          I noticed the name"D. Lautier" with 1.5/6 in the Premier section. Father of Joel?

There appears to have been no Simcoe Day Open due to the proximity of the Canadian Open in Ottawa.
          I remember Daniel Lautier but when Joël (who was born "April 12, 1973 (1973-04-12) (age 36) Scarborough, Canada") became a super-GM never made the connection. He does show in the CFC Rating Lists of those days as being from Toronto. His rating was high 1900s. Taking inflation into account, that would be .... Somehow, vaguely in the back of my mind I remember Jan Krotki playing him and referring to a conversation they had, but no more.

See this further evidence:
          game at chessgames dot com with note by Lawrence Day.

Simcoe Day was first declared in the 19th century ... but I wonder if it was a day that people generally got off work was early as 1973. At any rate, it is a great opportunity to celebrate John Graves Simcoe Tie Day! For me it's BC Day or maybe Peter Robinson Day, known generically as Civic Holiday.

Even Post-Fischer-Boom years had some good numbers in Toronto. However, that was then. Now we're talking about the Internet Slump, not the Fischer Boom. My idea is that we're experiencing a Post-Internet-Slump boom, but that's not quite fair to the people who put in the hard work to make it so.

Comment

Hi all : I have just updated the attendance record. Please check my original post. And then I did another little analysis: this is as per CFC crosstables;
            I wanted to know how the attendance distributed across 3 categories
            of ratings: 2000 and higher, 1999-1600, and under 1600 irrespective which section they played in:
            for 2008 it was 134 +2000 160 rtg 1999-1600 and <1600 206 =500
            for 2009 it was 218 +2000 327 rtg 1990-1600 and <1600 311 =856

Outstanding numbers! The rtg 1999-to-1600 DOUBLED from one year
            to the next.

Wilf Ferner
            Last edited by Wilf Ferner; Wednesday, 10th February, 2010, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilf Ferner View Post
              ...for 2008 it was 134 +2000 160 rtg 1999-1600 and <1600 206 =500
              for 2009 it was 218 +2000 327 rtg 1990-1600 and <1600 311 =856

Outstanding numbers! The rtg 1999-to-1600 DOUBLED from one year
              to the next.
              As you are in a math mode, could you figure out what unique players' numbers were over those years.

Comment

There is no announcement for a Toronto Open (i.e. Easter weekend or thereabouts) this year on the CFC site. So - I gather there won't be a repeat of last years' great event?

Comment

Hi Hugh:

I was just talking to Alex Ferreira about that last night. Hart House will be hosting the Toronto Open on the Easter weekend ( 6 rounds ). He has just put out the Canadian Junior Championship flyer, and the Toronto Open one is next on his list.

Bob

Comment

Will the Toronto Open be held in the Great Hall of Hart House?
                    That would be great.
                    In the "Searching for Bobby Fischer" movie the scene of the final tournament looks a lot like the Great Hall. Does any one know about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Evans View Post
                      That would be great.
                      In the "Searching for Bobby Fischer" movie the scene of the final tournament looks a lot like the Great Hall. Does any one know about this?
                      Hi Bill,

No :-(
                      These days it seems only possible to book the Great Hall for an event like this, in the Winter.
                      Toronto Open will be at Hart House April 2-3-4, split between rooms that can accommodate about 100 each. I'll post details Fri or Sat.

Alex F.

Comment

[In the "Searching for Bobby Fischer" movie the scene of the final tournament looks a lot like the Great Hall. Does any one know about this?
                        Yes - it was the Great Hall (the 1968 Canadian Open was also (partly) held there). A bunch of kids were recruited as extras - maybe Larry (or others) remember more about this than me. Possibly Larry supplied the chess equipment?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Evans View Post
                          That would be great.
                          I don't think so. I delivered many of the props they rented from the CFC to the set which if I remember correctly was located just east of downtown Toronto. I thought I saw that actual set when I made the delivery. I could be wrong though!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                            I don't think so. I delivered many of the props they rented from the CFC to the set which if I remember correctly was located just east of downtown Toronto. I thought I saw that actual set when I made the delivery. I could be wrong though!
                            "just east" sounds right. Years and years ago, one day, I drove to the hotel at the NE corner of Kennedy Rd and 401. (Keeps changing its name). Anyway, just before parking, a group of people dressed in uniforms approached my car asking me to park in a certain place. "Why?" I asked. They said they were filming a movie called "'Searching for Bobby Fischer". I had no idea... A bit of a wander after my meal and I had a quick peek at the set.

Comment

Hi: this little analysis is mainly for Bob(Armstrong)

ok, I arrived at some totals re Tournament Memberships!
                              Please see my totals on the original post.

In 2008(500) there were 27 players that started with a zero rating.
                              14 of them opted for the TMS and 13 ended up with a CFC membership.

In 2009(856) there were 32 players that started with a zero rating.
                              12 of them opted for the TMS and 20 ended up with the CFC membership.

ok, In 2009 after the PwC Tor Open the TMS rates went up to $20
                              since then, with the remainder of the listed table or 562 players only
                              3 took out TMS and 16 got their CFC membership. THE TMS HAS JUST
                              ABOUT DISAPPEARED for players starting without a rating.
                              I checked two more tourneys since(144 players)
                              same thing 2 players only started with zero rating and they both took
                              out the CFC MS.

Wilf Ferner
                              Last edited by Wilf Ferner; Wednesday, 10th February, 2010, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X