Yasser Seirawan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yasser Seirawan

https://en.chessbase.com/post/yasser...uis-chess-club Named spokesperson for the club. Thrilling news - to do what he does best - talk!

I had a few short-ish conversations with Mr.Seirawan last year in St.Louis, bumping into each other a few times during events there. He is indeed a thoroughly engaging man, always positive, and in a genuine non-fluffy way. And he's like that whether he's commentating on camera, having a casual chat at the club snack area, or out at a gourmet dinner. A very pleasant person to get to know.

Comment

I had the misfortune to play Seirawan I think in 1974. At a tournament in New Westminister, B.C. called the Diamond Jubilee, and I think it was Ray Kerr who ran the junior section. On the side was a widely publicized match between young Seirawan and a local Junior Glenn Morin, who was a solid A-class player while Seirawan was just shooting past 2000. The match was no contest. In the speed room I stepped up to the mark and of course got destroyed. Seirawan turns to his bodyguard, I think Mike Campbell, and says "This guy's a patzer." Cocky little twerp he was.

:)

Comment

Co-incidentally, Glenn Morin showed up at the Victoria Chess Club on Wednesday. He hadn't played chess in about 15 years but made short work of me. Glenn stepped back from serious chess 30 or 40 years ago with a 2300 rating. I think he was still on the way up.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
          Co-incidentally, Glenn Morin showed up at the Victoria Chess Club on Wednesday. He hadn't played chess in about 15 years but made short work of me. Glenn stepped back from serious chess 30 or 40 years ago with a 2300 rating. I think he was still on the way up.
          Very nice to hear. If you see him, tell him I said hello. He once invited me to his apartment for a couple of games over a break while attending B.C.I.T. in 1979, but I doubt he would remember my name..

Comment

Working...
          X