The Real World Champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real World Champions

In my grandfathers time there was real respect and a massive following for each of the world champions especially Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, and Euwe. There were many clubs and societies that named themselves and avidly followed these legends. And the same can be said for Botvinnik, Smyslov, Tal, Petrosian, Spassky. And then there was my generation which revered Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov and then naturally followed Kramnik, Anand and Carlsen. However I think that we can now close the chapter on that book of the 16 great world champions. They will now become legends. Steinitz, Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, Euwe, Botvinnik, Smyslov, Tal, Petrosian, Spassky, Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, Kramnik, Anand, Carlsen. 1886 - 2023, one hundred and thirty seven years of chess history and culture. I'm in mourning.
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Friday, 7th July, 2023, 10:29 AM.

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    In my grandfathers time there was real respect and a massive following for each of the world champions especially Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, and Euwe. There were many clubs and societies that named themselves and avidly followed these legends. And the same can be said for Botvinnik, Smyslov, Tal, Petrosian, Spassky. And then there was my generation which revered Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov and then naturally followed Kramnik, Anand and Carlsen. However I think that we can now close the chapter on that book of the 16 great word champions. They will now become legends. Steinitz, Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, Euwe, Botvinnik, Smyslov, Tal, Petrosian, Spassky, Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, Kramnik, Anand, Carlsen. 1886 - 2023, one hundred and thirty seven years of chess history and culture. I'm in mourning.

That's a great list, except that when it comes to being legends, then Anand and Kramnik are not in the same league as the others, imho. Also, Botvinnik was lucky imnsho , but yes he did become a legend anyways.

Comment

Oh I do think Kramnik and Anand are in the same league as the others. You can argue that others are far greater but then we could argue endlessly.

Comment

Anand is not given is true credits, he is a great great player. And he is still going strong at 53, will he be another Korchnoi who was 2630 at 75 ? Kramnik beat Kasparov in a match, enough said.

Comment

In my grandfathers time there was real respect and a massive following for each of the world champions especially Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, and Euwe. There were many clubs and societies that named themselves and avidly followed these legends. And the same can be said for Botvinnik, Smyslov, Tal, Petrosian, Spassky. And then there was my generation which revered Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov and then naturally followed Kramnik, Anand and Carlsen. However I think that we can now close the chapter on that book of the 16 great word champions. They will now become legends. Steinitz, Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, Euwe, Botvinnik, Smyslov, Tal, Petrosian, Spassky, Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, Kramnik, Anand, Carlsen. 1886 - 2023, one hundred and thirty seven years of chess history and culture. I'm in mourning.
          There was a period without the chess champion. Just wait :)

Comment

Oh I do think Kramnik and Anand are in the same league as the others. You can argue that others are far greater but then we could argue endlessly.
            Not me.

Anand was no match for Kasparov. Their record proves it. I doubt he would have become champion had Kasparov played out the string.

Even after Kramnik won the title match against Kasparov by surprising him with the Berlin, Kasparov was clear number one for several more years, andhad a plus record against Kramnik during that time.

Not in the same league in terms of stature and achievement. Not even close.

Comment

You need to know what you are talking about. The match was in 2000 and Kasparov retired in 2005. You need to examine games at classical time controls - not special exhibitions or rapid or blitz. Just the facts - not bs.

Comment

Working...
              X