Canadian Open live games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rd 6 I think Shirov was the defender so Ian's comment should be directed at GM Komarov, no?

Comment

Rd 6 Congratulations to Aaron Mendes for drawing GM Nyzhnyk (and almost winning it!)

Nice try to Dale Haessel.

Condolences to Ryan Campbell who came so close.
      Last edited by Hans Jung; Thursday, 27th July, 2023, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Oh, right you are Hans. Great escape by Shirov! I do not know GM Komarov, but he must be kicking himself. He played so well.

Comment

Rd 7 GM Mikhalevski had a fine miniature attacking win on board 2.

Anthony Atanasov had a long interesting endgame where after a prolonged dance of the knights he achieved the desired breakthrough.

Comment

Rd 8 Shirov - Bareev - a battle of the knights! - and ends with Rxb7 - whites knight has the last say.

GM Gupta unleashed a powerful checkmating attack
            Last edited by Hans Jung; Saturday, 29th July, 2023, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Rd 8 Picturesque finish by Ryan Campbell.

In the Liam Henry game the hunter got hunted.

Comment

After round 8 GM Shirov leads with 7, half a point ahead of 4 other grandmasters. Exciting! Two rounds left to go.

Comment

Agreed Hans! I have enjoyed following the event. Aaron Reeve Mendes has been most impressive - until today's pairing he was in the hunt for an IM norm. Now he has too many Cannucks in his player history. Nonetheless, he could break 2200 FIDE before he turns 11 in August. Not sure when that last happened in Canada!

Ryan Campbell is also having another great Canadian Open. I hope Omar is having fun as Chief Arbiter. All appears to be rolling smoothly. Good job Calgary!

Comment

Rd 9 GM Nyzhnyk won on demand and is now in a tie for first with GM Shirov going into the last round.

GM Bareev had a nice finishing attacking combination in his game.

Comment

Live games are frozen for me... anyone else?

Comment

GM Shirov wins in an exciting last round game! - and also winning the tournament! At move 21 I thought Shirov was worse but then Adam Dorrance played Nf5!!?? (which was something I might play loving my knights) which looked brilliant but by move 28 the position had changed to white much better. Very interesting.

Comment

Last round - Congratulations to Anthony Atanasov for beating a respected GM!

Congratulations to Ryan Campbell for grinding out a tough win by using a magnificent knight!

Question: wasnt Dale Haessel winning in the final position (which he lost)? Looks like to me that he can obtain a winning endgame by force! (time troubles?)

Comment

https://chess-results.com/tnr791678....&art=4&flag=30 Final Ranking Crosstable Congratulations to Anthony Atanasov and Ryan Campbell for tying for 3rd with GM Komarov!

Comment

Working...
                            X