Calling all Arbiters - OCA pilot seminar for NA's August 26.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Arbiters - OCA pilot seminar for NA's August 26.

Hi everyone, the OCA needs more trained Arbiters! To this end we have launched a pilot online seminar for National Arbiters:

Online National Arbiters’ Seminar

Saturday, August 26, 2023
    Chief Lecturer: FL Hal Bond
    Assistant Lecturer: Omar Shah
    Eligibility: Individuals 16 years of age or older who have worked as an Arbiter in at least 2 CFC rated tournaments.
    Seminar: 10am – 5pm
    Exam: 5pm-7pm. Minimum passing grade: 70 %
    Successful participants will be recommended to the CFC for the FIDE NA Title.
    A National FIDE Arbiter may be the Chief Arbiter of a FIDE rated event, and allows the title holder to participate in FIDE Arbiter seminars. The next one is scheduled for November 10-12, 2023.

Cost of NA Seminar: $100

Hal, is this limited to people resident in Ontario?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hi Hal Bond , you mention the following in your post: "A National FIDE Arbiter may be the Chief Arbiter of a FIDE rated event, and allows the title holder to participate in FIDE Arbiter seminars. The next one is scheduled for November 10-12, 2023.". Would you happen to have any more information about any future FIDE Arbiter seminars? Would you happen to have a link to where future FIDE arbiter seminars are held?
      Thanks / Regards, Riley Khan
      National Chess Arbiter (Canada)
      ricool54321@hotmail.com

Comment

Hi Riley,

I can help organize an FA seminar. I have a friend visiting Canada for the next 4 months who is an IA and a FIDE instructor. Let me know who else would be interested.

Comment

Hi,
          The FA arbiter Hal is referring to will be held at Hart House. Nov 10-12. For National Arbiters this will be a good opportunity. For those not yet National Arbiters, should definitely do the August seminar with Hal beforehand. Details on how to register for the Nov 10-12 FA seminar with Hal, at Hart House, will be up soon.
          Alex F.

----

Link here:
          https://harthousechess.com/2023/07/2...at-hart-house/
          Last edited by Alex Ferreira; Tuesday, 1st August, 2023, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the assistance and help with my inquiry. Alex Ferreira thanks for the informative info about the upcoming FA seminar. :)
            ricool54321@hotmail.com

Comment

Good morning Arbiters!
              We are looking forward to our OCA pilot on line seminar for aspiring FIDE National Arbiters on August 26. Response has been great so far and there is still space for more candidates.
              The seminar will focus on two areas – duties during tournaments, and reporting requirements for those tournaments. Although this is an OCA pilot project, we have accepted candidates from other provinces, so come one and all!

Our seminar is designed to be inclusive. We will not be testing international title regulations, or in depth swiss pairing theory. We want our successful candidates to be able to conduct rated tournaments using the existing tools of the trade, and report results in a timely fashion. Successful candidates will receive the FIDE NA title, which makes them eligible for FA seminars.

To prepare for the seminar, I would download the FIDE Arbiters’ Manual and familiarize yourself with the Arbiter/Organizer/ TD resources on CFC website. For our purposes, the contents of the Arbiters’ Manual are also found on the FIDE website if you know where to look.

Feel free to contact me at bondhalathotmaildotcom with questions. Registration is done via etransfer to my hot mail account.
              See you soon!

Comment

For those that are interested, the FIDE Arbiter's Manual can be found at the link below:

https://arbiters.fide.com/wp-content...Manual2022.pdf

The Legacy CFC Handbook can be found here:

https://www.chess.ca/en/cfc/rules/cfc-handbook-2014/

Organizer tools can be found here:

https://www.chess.ca/en/organizers/tools/
                ricool54321@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                  Good morning Arbiters!
                  We are looking forward to our OCA pilot on line seminar for aspiring FIDE National Arbiters on August 26. Response has been great so far and there is still space for more candidates.
                  The seminar will focus on two areas – duties during tournaments, and reporting requirements for those tournaments. Although this is an OCA pilot project, we have accepted candidates from other provinces, so come one and all!

Our seminar is designed to be inclusive. We will not be testing international title regulations, or in depth swiss pairing theory. We want our successful candidates to be able to conduct rated tournaments using the existing tools of the trade, and report results in a timely fashion. Successful candidates will receive the FIDE NA title, which makes them eligible for FA seminars.

To prepare for the seminar, I would download the FIDE Arbiters’ Manual and familiarize yourself with the Arbiter/Organizer/ TD resources on CFC website. For our purposes, the contents of the Arbiters’ Manual are also found on the FIDE website if you know where to look.

Feel free to contact me at bondhalathotmaildotcom with questions. Registration is done via etransfer to my hot mail account.
                  See you soon!
                  Strictly speaking successful candidates will receive a recommendation to receive the FIDE national arbiter title. In all likelihood the CFC will look kindly upon such recommendations coming from you, Hal.

Comment

So let me see if I understand. Someone takes this one day course and passes the exam ( which btw doesn't cover everything) has never directed an event in their life, knows enough of the theory...and voila...they become a Fide National Arbiter... with CFC benediction.

WHat don't I understand here?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                      So let me see if I understand. Someone takes this one day course and passes the exam ( which btw doesn't cover everything) has never directed an event in their life, knows enough of the theory...and voila...they become a Fide National Arbiter... with CFC benediction.

WHat don't I understand here?
                      "who have worked as an Arbiter in at least 2 CFC rated tournaments."

In principle it is very similar to a driving license - you learn with someone, then take a test and voila you have a license to drive alone. If someone want to drive a truck takes more practice and exams, as is done with FA and IA.

FIDE register "National Arbiter level" arbiters as eligible to run FIDE rated events and call them National Arbiters later. It is upto the national federation to set criteria for "National Arbiter level". I think while ago there was some proposal for different levels by the CFC however I don't think that ever happened.

Comment

I think this is an excellent initiative. I have friends visiting me in Kingston from out of town this weekend, so am unavailable to take part.

Certainly, the CFC needs to do more to develop arbiter education, training, and qualification paths. But, most of all, improve communication.

In 2010, as an NTD since 2004, I was privileged to be a participant in the very first FIDE Arbiter course ever offered in Canada, in Toronto, during the Canadian Open. It was taught by IA / IO Hal Bond and IA Stephen Boyd. It was one of the very best courses I have ever taken!! Tremendous value, as well, at $100 Canadian. I passed the exam, a very tough one.

I mentioned improved communication from the CFC to arbiters as being important. I am still awaiting a response from the CFC to a letter I wrote in 2007 to then-FIDE rep Dr. Nathan Divinsky! He passed away several years ago, so I think I can safely assume no response will arrive.

Respectfully submitted,
                        Frank Dixon
                        NTD, Kingston

Comment

Working...
                        X