A new strategic plan for the Chess Federation of Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new strategic plan for the Chess Federation of Canada

It has been eleven years since the last strategic plan was presented for the Chess Federation of Canada at the 2012 AGM. It is probably time for an update.

https://www.chesscanada.info/forum/s...tion-of-Canada

Chess has become more popular but primarily on the internet. The strategic plan should be promoting over the board play. Maybe promoting more one-day fast time control events, so that people who are interested can come for an afternoon and test the waters. Joining the federation not required to have a rating. Maybe membership only required for classical chess, not rapid or blitz. Or bundle CFC membership with online component, like membership in exclusive chess.com group with access to high value content.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
      Chess has become more popular but primarily on the internet. The strategic plan should be promoting over the board play. Maybe promoting more one-day fast time control events, so that people who are interested can come for an afternoon and test the waters. Joining the federation not required to have a rating. Maybe membership only required for classical chess, not rapid or blitz. Or bundle CFC membership with online component, like membership in exclusive chess.com group with access to high value content.
      All interesting ideas. Currently joining the federation is not required to have a rating as ratings stick regardless of membership status.

We do have to be able to pay the bills so we shouldn't be afraid to ask people to pay to become part of the chess federation and have access to services. Quick and blitz events do not entail any less work on the part of Bob Gillanders, particularly when there are problems with the submission.

How would the lost income be covered if rapid or blitz were excluded. I don't think that there are many rated blitz events but my impression is that rapid is a large percentage of our tournaments particularly youth tournaments which already tend to be a loss leader with lower rating fees and the no membership requirement for youth only events.

Comment

Are the goals of the CFC clearly defined first. Also useful might be some proper (professionally designed) market research.I won't be joining the other discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
          Are the goals of the CFC clearly defined first. Also useful might be some proper (professionally designed) market research.I won't be joining the other discussion.
          The Chess Federation of Canada (CFC) aims to promote and develop the game of chess nationwide by facilitating the organizing of tournaments and events, supporting players and coaches, fostering junior chess development, maintaining a fair rating system, representing Canada in international competitions as a good citizen of FIDE (World Chess Federation), building partnerships, and promoting inclusivity to create a vibrant and thriving chess community that encourages participation at all levels and celebrates the strategic and intellectual aspects of the game.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 6th August, 2023, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Respect human rights, as defined by national charters.

Comment

The very moment the Chess Federation of Canada was founded back in the 1930's ... misogynistic FIDE (World Chess Federation) became your overlord.

That is clearly and painfully evident.

And as for their CFC bullshit about promoting chess in Canada ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CFC_LIe_#1.gif
Views:	204
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	228207
              Care to guess where and how the CFC should find their soul?

Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

The Chess Federation of Canada (CFC) aims to promote and develop the game of chess nationwide by facilitating the organizing of tournaments and events, supporting players and coaches, fostering junior chess development, maintaining a fair rating system, representing Canada in international competitions as a good citizen of FIDE (World Chess Federation), building partnerships, and promoting inclusivity to create a vibrant and thriving chess community that encourages participation at all levels and celebrates the strategic and intellectual aspects of the game.
                Proper market research is needed. I know many good players, who show absolutely no interest in what the CFC offers, which is official rated chess. They don't need that to get their chess fix. For most of them it is far too expensive. People can play all the chess they want for free. Without some proper market research, to find out what people want the CFC has no hope of growing the game.

Just because CFC membership numbers are dismal, doesn't mean chess is not popular. Maybe the CFC should focus on promoting itself. Chess doesn't need promoting

Last edited by Fred Henderson; Thursday, 10th August, 2023, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

The very moment the Chess Federation of Canada was founded back in the 1930's ... misogynistic FIDE (World Chess Federation) became your overlord.

Huh?
                  Maybe painfully evident to you, this bullshit you spout about FIDE being mysoginistic, but not to me. Do tell. How is FIDE mysoginistic?

Comment

Just because CFC membership numbers are dismal,
                    Did you miss the good news. CFC membership up 60% over last year.
                    We are doing just fine thank you.

Comment

Huh?
                      Neil

You used a link to the old CFC website, that has not been operational for 3 years. Our volunteer webmaster is transferring functions and text files to the new site in a prioritized order. The excellent CFC Training Manual by Tom O'Donnell is not on the new site, but I'll see if we can get it in the queue.

Fred

Comment

Proper market research is needed. I know many good players, who show absolutely no interest in what the CFC offers, which is official rated chess. They don't need that to get their chess fix. For most of them it is far too expensive. People can play all the chess they want for free. Without some proper market research, to find out what people want the CFC has no hope of growing the game.

Just because CFC membership numbers are dismal, doesn't mean chess is not popular. Maybe the CFC should focus on promoting itself. Chess doesn't need promoting
                        Proper market research is expensive. We are likely to stick to guerrilla market research.

Those individuals with no interest are not part of our target market. It is good that we get that out of the way right at the beginning so that we don't waste time and money chasing a mirage. Some of them may become part of our target market by graduating to real in-person chess. That has been happening a lot lately judging by the membership numbers.

We are aiming to serve the people that want to play tournament chess, that want to play FIDE rated tournaments and want to join the world community of chess players. That cranky old guy shouting at passersby and flinging poo at the CFC and FIDE is not our target market. Neil will only join the CFC if we make him president. Such an outcome would likely only occur after a zombie apocalypse which is a fairly low probability event despite all the popular television shows and books.

I believe the USCF has about 100,000 members. That would suggest that the CFC should have about 10,000 members if we can achieve the same level of adoption.

I don't think the USCF lets juniors play for free if they stick to junior only events so a certain number of those players might be added to the total of tournament players.

The CYCC in Calgary which concluded recently saw 450+ players with 32 of the players being local to Windsor, Ontario and surrounding regions. There could have been 500 or more players at CYCC if the organizers were not limited by the size of the convention space. There is still something interesting going on in Windsor despite chess moving into the background and the lack of any large group class aside from a few in libraries and an online class that I faithfully hold every Friday. We still have the Windsor Chess Challenge which has around 1400 to 1500 players each year over a couple of days in February or March.

CFC youth coordinator Christina Tao did a good job of publicizing the CYCC in the local community and in the Canadian chess community at large which was a contributor to the numbers but we were surprised at the numbers taking up the challenge.
                        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 10th August, 2023, 03:10 PM.

Comment

... founded back in the 1930's ...
                          Correction: founded in 1872. Was renamed a few times before settling on "CFC". :-p

Wow, you kept a link to that old document! It's from 1997 and includes ads to buy chess sets (pieces & board) for $12 and an analog chess clock for $45. It has lots of out of date info (ex paper forms to report tournaments for ratings) so, ya, it didn't make it onto the new chess.ca.
                          Last edited by Don Parakin; Thursday, 10th August, 2023, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I think the CFC needs to create an environment that takes care of it's established members and keeps them active. That would mean revamping the rating system and getting organizers to create tournaments for different age groups. Right now tournaments are over run with underrated juniors. I'm sure this is causing older established members from being more selective in joining tournaments or even not playing unless there are few of these juniors entering.I have had my own decimation of my rating and I'm also starting to be selective what tournaments I play in. I made it to Most Active tournament players in Canada once at #10. But I'm not even in the top 100 now. Take care of your home garden first before you start planting seeds that may not produce old roots and strong plants like you have now.
                            Last edited by John Brown; Friday, 11th August, 2023, 03:42 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                              I think the CFC needs to create an environment that takes care of it's established members and keeps them active. That would mean revamping the rating system and getting organizers to create tournaments for different age groups. Right now tournaments are over run with underrated juniors. I'm sure this is causing older established members from being more selective in joining tournaments or even not playing unless there are few of these juniors entering.I have had my own decimation of my rating and I'm also starting to be selective what tournaments I play in. I made it to Most Active tournament players in Canada once at #10. But I'm not even in the top 100 now. Take care of your home garden first before you start planting seeds that may not produce old roots and strong plants like you have now.
                              I agree with many of John's points. I don't play as much as most people, but when I do, the two things that are most important to me are: 1) a very competitive matchup (which requires that we both have semi-accurate ratings, and where rapidly improving Juniors [understandably] often have quite inaccurate ratings?!). I'm not sure of the solutions, but John's right, we should think about this.

And 2), I just LOVE having a good postgame with my opponent. This significantly adds to my tournament experience! This seems much more likely to happen with a more mature player like myself. For example, even though I was away for this year's Veterans/Seniors, that's ALWAYS a perfect environment for both entertaining competitive chess, and a thoughtful exchange-of-ideas postgame!

Maybe an Organizer reading this might consider trying some age sectioning?!

Comment

Working...
                              X