Gladiators of the Chessboard Amateur Open, Sept 16-17 ** All Ages ** All Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Parakin View Post
    Also, the top 5 in the Open section were GMs & IMs so probably did not pay an entry fee and might even have *received* an appearance fee. C'mon, Hugh, as a basement section dweller should all my money go to the top?

LOL, at 8:26am Bob, is that your last beer of the night or your first beer of the day :)
    Oops, BUSTED....LOL, more correct is 2nd coffee of the day. Call it poetic licence.

I would be in that U1700 section now, but I am not sure "beginner" correctly describes me.

Comment

More on cash prizes (although we're deviating from the original topic):

Golf - only the top 50-100 who make the cut win any money. The rest have to depend on sponsor's (or their own) money. No "class" prizes.
      Marathons - in the Boston Marathon, only the top 10 and the top 3 "masters" of each sex win any money. There is also a smaller amount available for several disabled/wheelchair classes. That leaves the other 28,000 runners (almost all of who paid a $200 or so entry fee) with nothing from the $1.1 million prize fund. Non-cash awards may be given to age-group winners.
      Bridge - for a long time the only prizes were "master points" - no cash, except in world-class events. That has changed, but I don't think there are any "class" cash prizes (I could be wrong)..

Comment

Watch the games live games. Thanks to Riley Khan (the operator) and Excelsior Chess Club (provider of the equipment), the top 8 boards will be broadcast live starting at 10am, 2pm, 6pm Sat & Sun.

LINK: https://view.livechesscloud.com/#fa3...7-be9cb3426d1b

Comment

Rd1 Some nice crisp attacks and some good defending.

Nice miniature by Riley Khan ending in checkmate.

Comment

Twitch link for live commentary for rounds 3 and 4: https://www.twitch.tv/baba_yaga55555
            Thanks / Regards, Riley Khan
            National Chess Arbiter (Canada)
            ricool54321@hotmail.com

Comment

Any results - winners?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                Any results - winners?
                Yes, the final crosstable is here: https://chess-results.com/tnr818351.aspx?lan=1&art=4

Although Nick Oancea, the only 2000+ player, won all 6 games for 1st place none were easy quick wins and several were long hard fought battles. A taste of what's it's like in the lower sections where often extremely underrated players lurk. An example of that is 2nd place won by Wayne Huang, rated 855 (undefeated except by Nick)! 3rd place was a 4-way tie between Leroy Gibson, Mike Green (970), Daniel Truong (unrated), and Riley Khan.

Thanks to all the players who participated, especially the crew that travelled in from London, Ont. And thanks to Excelsior, the first-class all-inclusive chess venue which, by the way, is hosting a simul by IM Nikolay Noritsyn on Oct 7 (LIINK; Nick loves it when I plug his events :).

Comment

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and I noticed some of the games were on twitch tv. The group from London included Elias Samano. I knew his father Beto well. I will post some memories in the thread Fond Memories in chess.

Comment

Working...
                  X