Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Junior - no Canadians?

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

This was a great opportunity for a young player to get some experience and maybe a norm.
    Apparently it conflicted with Raja's (I think?) University studies - go figure. I very much doubt FIDE knows kids go to school... Kudos to Raja for putting his education first.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      Apparently it conflicted with Raja's (I think?) University studies - go figure. I very much doubt FIDE knows kids go to school... Kudos to Raja for putting his education first.
      That doesn't mean nobody should have gone. The money was for travel to the championship. The next junior in line, who was willing to go, should have got the travel money along with a top up to make up the full airfare.

Can you imagine Spassky's federation not sending a representative the year he won the World Junior? No comparison, I guess, because we are comparing Canadian chess to a chess super power.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

In the 'modern' English of some other posters: "The juniors should of spent more time in school studying the King's English!"

Comment

The money was for travel to the championship.
          I think that is the point: the money is NO LONGER for the championship; apparently it can now be used to defray expenses to pretty much any tournament of the winner's choice (not at all sure about the details... someone with more time on their hands can try grunting that tidbit out of recent GLs)

I don't suppose the intention was to allow the winnings to apply to *any* tournament, but I rather doubt the explicit ruling would be that precise.

If you are going to award a specific prize - do so. If you are awarding a prize that has some constraints, make sure the constraints are clear or remove them altogether and just put a cheque in an envelope and say 'congratulations'
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

At least! :)

Do you really oppose sending a junior to the World Junior Championship or are you needling me? My guess is it's the latter.
            This is the end result of a consistent policy of producing substandard events for all levels of elite players in the country. People seem to think that the top players will play in any goofy event that the CFC/FIDE dream up. Seems to me that the younger guys could teach the older guys a thing or two about opting out of the whole mess.

You wrote repeatedly that the elite players will take care of themselves. Well, maybe the elite players in this instance decided that "taking care of themselves" meant no representative. I am sure that Raja will spend the money wisely and get some good chess in anyway.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              This is the end result of a consistent policy of producing substandard events for all levels of elite players in the country. People seem to think that the top players will play in any goofy event that the CFC/FIDE dream up. Seems to me that the younger guys could teach the older guys a thing or two about opting out of the whole mess.

You wrote repeatedly that the elite players will take care of themselves. Well, maybe the elite players in this instance decided that "taking care of themselves" meant no representative.
              Tom,

Regarding the money for travel, I'm going by the following which is higher up in this thread:

Originally posted by Brian Raymer View Post
              There were 12 players at the Canadian Junior in Victoria. Entry fee was $150 each 12X150=$1800 A cheque for $1000 was sent to the CFC to contribute toward the winner for travel to the World Junior. Does anyone know.... How the $1000 will be spent if no one goes. If anyone else was offered the chance?
              If the CFC isn't interested in having a player participate in a top FIDE event I guess it's their decision. Too bad FIDE is wasting a Zone on Canada.

Regarding elite players looking after themselves, possibly you don't know top players get invitations. Happens in Correspondence chess as well. When the invitations stop, playing strength has probably dropped off.

What I wrote was likely that I liked organizing for the lower rated players. The top rated players can look after themselves.

I think you said you served as ED a couple of times. Did you never invite anyone to participate on behalf of Canada? Did you not know how it worked for the elite players?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Canadian Junior - Nature of the Prize?

A thread on the nature of the prize for the Canadian Junior was also running on the CFC Chess Forum. Here is the reply of the CFC Youth Co-ordinator, Michael Barron:

Canadian Junior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
                The World Junior starts tomorrow in Argentina, with no Canadian representative this year. As I understand it, Canada has only missed sending someone a few times since it started - add this year to the list - too bad.

Bob
                ______________________________________________________________________

Gentlemen,

Thank you for discussing Canadian Junior issues!
                I would like to provide some facts for your discussion:
                Canada was represented only once in the last 5 World Junior Championships:
                in 2006 by Bindi Cheng.
                In 2007 Leonid Gerzhoy went to the World Junior, but wasn't allowed to represent Canada due to paperwork problems with Federation transfer and had to withdraw after 3 rounds (afterwards FIDE listed him as Canadian in the final crosstable, but I hope you would agree it's not what we mean by Canadian representation).
                In 2005 Shiyam Thavandiran,
                in 2008 Artiom Samsonkin,
                in 2009 Raja Panjwani
                - all of them for different reasons were unable to represent Canada at the World Junior.

One of the reasons is CFC's financial problems.
                As you understand, $1000 is not enough to cover travel expenses to the World Junior.
                Related problem - declining popularity of Canadian Junior. If we could attract more players to participate at the Canadian Junior, we could raise more funds for the trip to the World Junior.
                How could we make Canadian Junior more attractive?

Let's not forget - the goal of Chess Federation of Canada is to develop chess in Canada, not in Turkey or Argentina or somewhere else.
                It means that success of Canadian Junior is much more important than success of World Junior.
                So, the decision was made - to save the Canadian Junior to allow the Canadian Junior Champion to use his prize for any major international tournament. If Canadian Junior Champion decided not to go to the World Junior, second or third place finisher at the Canadian Junior could take his spot at the World Junior, but not his prize.

Canadian Junior Champion 2009 Raja Panjwani decided to use his $1000 prize for participation at the World Junior Championship 2010 - due to his school schedule, and I appreciate his decision.

In conclusion, I would like to remind you that donations to the CFC Junior Program are tax deductable.
                If we want Canadian representation at the World Junior Championships every year, please contribute to the CFC Junior Program.

Comment

Tom,

... What I wrote was likely that I liked organizing for the lower rated players. The top rated players can look after themselves.

I think you said you served as ED a couple of times. Did you never invite anyone to participate on behalf of Canada? Did you not know how it worked for the elite players?
                  I worked for the CFC twice. In the late 80s and again in the late 90s. In the late 80s I recall that then-ED Gordon Taylor dealt with the paperwork of inviting players. There weren't many invitations, if I recall correctly.

In the late 90s, as Technical Director I did do some of the paperwork for invitations. Again, there weren't many. Unfortunately, most players have to take the initiative and go to events themselves. Which is both expensive and time consuming.

The result of the top players looking after themselves is obvious. Many don't bother to play in the various national championships; the highest-rated and best (imo) player doesn't even live in Canada; a shoo-in (imo) to be 2600+ FIDE (Alex Lesiege) doesn't even play anymore; the Canadian Junior is a joke; and even the CYCC is ridiculous in that literally players who have never played in a chess tournament can play!

All of that wouldn't be a problem except that people start wondering why Canada isn't very competitive. I trust that the above makes it pretty clear why that is.
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I worked for the CFC twice. In the late 80s and again in the late 90s. In the late 80s I recall that then-ED Gordon Taylor dealt with the paperwork of inviting players. There weren't many invitations, if I recall correctly.

In the late 90s, as Technical Director I did do some of the paperwork for invitations. Again, there weren't many. Unfortunately, most players have to take the initiative and go to events themselves. Which is both expensive and time consuming.

The result of the top players looking after themselves is obvious. Many don't bother to play in the various national championships; the highest-rated and best (imo) player doesn't even live in Canada; a shoo-in (imo) to be 2600+ FIDE (Alex Lesiege) doesn't even play anymore; the Canadian Junior is a joke; and even the CYCC is ridiculous in that literally players who have never played in a chess tournament can play!

All of that wouldn't be a problem except that people start wondering why Canada isn't very competitive. I trust that the above makes it pretty clear why that is.
                    The current structure in place for our national championships is counter-productive in my opinion. All the events are self financing and rely on entry fees to finance themselves. There is little or no incentive to organize these events. The CFC relies on taking a portion of the entry fees to finance the winner to the World Championships. As such, events will not be attended by the best players as there is no incentive for them to play.

The CYCC is looked at as a cash cow. Why else would you let inexperienced players into the mix? I had always thought that a better way of running this program would be to have regionals where players qualify to the provincials, and then on to the nationals. But when you just let players in at the door who have provided a cheque, why bother having provincials? I don't know.

The CFC should be looking at fundraising ideas for these tournaments so that the winners are financed outside of the Canadian qualifying events. I have seen little evidence that the CFC even seeks sponsorship, or even applies for funding (which is available if you look) from government, or corporate initiatives.

Comment

I would think the top players would get invitations to play in events where Canada is qualified to send a player. This by the Canadian federation. Wouldn't there also be invitation from outside Canada to send players or for individual players? For title events in CC, an event needs players from at least 3 nations.

I used to get more invitations than I could handle and turned down many. A person can only play a certain number of events at the same time in CC. The last I accepted was from England to play in a memorial event for a friend. In recent years I let it be known I'm not accepting invitations other than for the Canadian teams. Although, I recently accepted an invitation to play on a private teams in a league. It's not all that high level, though.

I thought you used to get invitations to play on Canadian teams and elsewhere. You also were hired by the CFC, as I was by the CCCA. I'd imagine you were involved in writing the magazine and annotating. Something which would not be available to weaker players. I wrote and published the CCCA magazine for 5 years. After that I didn't have an original idea remaining, and was glad to get rid of that part of the job.

I never needed someone to promote for me nor did I need a players union. Did you?

I do think the CFC should be sending a junior to the World Junior Championship. It's good experience and they have a chance to pick up a norm. Only playing in Canada and in weak U.S. events is like being a big fish in a small tank. Playing in that World Junior would be like a minnow in a shark tank. Those foreign juniors know how to play the game.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

this has probably been debated many times... but why doesn't the CFC partner with the CMA?? Other than one poorly informed GM, I have never heard anything bad about the CMA...

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                          this has probably been debated many times... but why doesn't the CFC partner with the CMA?? Other than one poorly informed GM, I have never heard anything bad about the CMA...
                          When I was a governor, in the 1970's, the CFC was going to try to reach out to Quebec and bring them into the fold. Probably we'll agree the wheels have been moving slowly.

I couldn't see what was in it for Quebec.

I don't know what's in it for CMA to partner with an organization like the CFC. Who wants to be saddled with that executive lineup and 60 or more governors as a partner? Over to you, Larry. :)
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I don't know what's in it for CMA to partner with an organization like the CFC. Who wants to be saddled with that executive lineup and 60 or more governors as a partner? Over to you, Larry. :)
                            For CJC 2008, Larry tried to organize Juniors (U20) (He wrote his endeavours with players at old chesstalk.) Nevertheless, the event was in the previous Chess-Math office referee Liam Henry, and organized by M.Barron.

reminder ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                              CAN may not be represented, but CAN is playing. Emre Can of Turkey. He doesn't represent CAN, he is CAN. Can (pronounced Jan) means soul or individual in Turkish.
                              Emre Can made 8 points out of 13, to tie the highest score ever made by a player representing CAN or Can. Quan Zhe in 2004 and Vinny Puri in 1987 both made 8 out of 13. Emre Can has more World Junior finishes in the last five years than Canada does. Honourary Canadian Anton Kovalyov, although announced by the organizers as a special entrant, did not play this year.

Congrats to event winner Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, and condolences to the guy who tied with him, Sergei Zhigalko.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                                Emre Can made 8 points out of 13, to tie the highest score ever made by a player representing CAN or Can. Quan Zhe in 2004 and Vinny Puri in 1987 both made 8 out of 13. Emre Can has more World Junior finishes in the last five years than Canada does. Honourary Canadian Anton Kovalyov, although announced by the organizers as a special entrant, did not play this year.

Congrats to event winner Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, and condolences to the guy who tied with him, Sergei Zhigalko.
                                Does Anton Kovalyov still live in Canada? Is he a Canadian citizen? I played him in the Canadian Open, he is a very good player, plays really fast too... Or maybe that was just against me :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X