How To Set Up A Position On ChessTalk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Set Up A Position On ChessTalk?

If I do this, how do I make it into a position?
    1R5B/3p2N1/2pK4/8/2rk1P1R/1P1pn3/8/1B1N3r

Originally posted by Ken MacDonald View Post
    If I do this, how do I make it into a position?
    1R5B/3p2N1/2pK4/8/2rk1P1R/1P1pn3/8/1B1N3r
    There is a board icon on the right side. Use it and paste your FEN

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Thanks Egis, I didn't know that.

Comment

Thanks very much!
        This is a 2 move problem which I found in my chess calendar. (A different sheet for each day of the year and each sheet has a 2 move problem.)
        This one stands out because it is by Alain Godbout. I know there is/was a Canadian problemist with that name. He has published something on problems which is in the old David Cohen collection. The calendar does not tell me where it was originally published.
        Just for your pleasure.
        Last edited by Ken MacDonald; Wednesday, 20th September, 2023, 04:13 PM.

Comment

According to the online database the problem was published in Canadian Chess Chat 1980.

Comment

According to the online database the problem was published in Canadian Chess Chat 1980.
            Thank you!

Comment

Comment

Super! I love this!

Comment

Is it White or Black to move Olga?

Comment

Bring on the positions! Maybe we can fill chesstalk with interesting positions!?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                      Bring on the positions! Maybe we can fill chesstalk with interesting positions!?
                      I have always liked the idea of creating positions unlikely to actually appear in a chess game, where all the pieces and Pawns on the board (except the Kings) are simultaneously under attack by at least one other piece. Because the more simultaneous attacks there are, the harder it is to know the best way forward.

However, in such positions, it is almost always HUGE winning advantage to the side who moves first.

Therefore I thought of a rule for playing from such "all en prise" positions:

For the first N moves from the position, neither side may capture any opposing piece nor promote a Pawn. So the material balance remains the same. N should be at least 4, but to reduce the advantage of first move, the higher N is better so 8 is a good value.

So basically the idea is, every piece is under attack, you have 8 moves to reposition everything to reach a position after 16 plies (8 moves each player) that is to your best advantage. I think this is very very challenging!

EDIT: maybe I will create a new thread devoted to this idea, and post positions inviting readers to try and find a variation of 16 plies. The thing is, you can't use computers for this, because computers don't let you remove the ability to capture pieces or promote Pawns. So this is problem-solving the way it was before computers!
                      Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Thursday, 21st September, 2023, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                        Is it White or Black to move Olga?
                        White to move. Last move by black was a6. Just practicing how to put it the game here. It was actually easier than I thought. Just go to chess dot com, get your game, press Share button, copy PGN code and insert here (after you pressed the Little Checkered Board to the right) between two words FEN in the message.

Hehe, let's bring on the positions!
                        You should try posting a game here, Hans!

Comment

Thanks Egidijus. That is wonderful to know and now I dont have to keep bothering you to put in positions. Im looking forward to doing it myself.

Comment

Working...
                          X