• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Ontario Seniors Chess Championship

Eligibility: Ontario residents 50 and above

Date: October 6 - October 9

Place: Excelsior Chess Club, 91 Skyway Ave, Suite 206, Toronto ON M9W 6R5

Rounds: Friday 7 pm - Saturday 10 am and 4 pm - Sunday 10 am and 4 pm - Monday 10 am and 4 pm

Type: 7 round swiss

Trophies and medals with cash prizes for the first three places in each age category

Time Control: 90 minutes + 30 seconds a move

Entry Fees:
    $100 by September 15
    $120by October 5
    $130 On-site
    FREE for GM/WGM and IM/WIM if registered before September 15; full fee after
    20% discount for Club Members
    20% discount for Families with two participants
    30% discount for Families with three or more participants

To register visit https://excelsiorchessclub.ca/our-to...-championship/

We look forward to seeing you there!

Hi all, there's still time to register! Visit our site here for more information: https://excelsiorchessclub.ca/our-to...-championship/

Comment

We have six who are registered! If you want to be a part of the tournament too, register now at: https://excelsiorchessclub.ca/our-to...-championship/

Comment

Time is almost up! If you want to join do it soon! Sign up here: https://excelsiorchessclub.ca/our-to...-championship/

Comment

Wow, looks quite strong. 2 IMs. I have signed up, so there are 9 players. It would be nice to get 15 players! Excelsior chess club is a first class club club with a great location near many fine restaurants with free parking! I look forward to it.
          Last edited by Ian Findlay; Monday, 2nd October, 2023, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I wonder if the $100-$130 entry fee is a factor in the low registration numbers. We are certainly struggling with huge increases in facility rental fees everywhere and that results in higher entry fees and lower prizes.
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
              I wonder if the $100-$130 entry fee is a factor in the low registration numbers. We are certainly struggling with huge increases in facility rental fees everywhere and that results in higher entry fees and lower prizes.
              In Ontario, I think it more has to do with the number of active senior players. This turnout, may seem low, but as past numbers indicate, it is probably a good turnout!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                I wonder if the $100-$130 entry fee is a factor in the low registration numbers.
                I didn't register for it because I can't handle six games in three days at long time control. Maybe if/when I'm fitter, but that seems unlikely.

I did enter the Toronto Senior, which is 10-player RRs at one game per week. It's also much cheaper, though that wasn't determinative for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                  Wow, looks quite strong. 2 IMs. I have signed up, so there are 9 players. It would be nice to get 15 players! Excelsior chess club is a first class club club with a great location near many fine restaurants with free parking! I look forward to it.
                  Thank you so much for the high praise Ian, I really appreciate it. See you at the tournament!

Comment

Congrats to IM Michael Barron who is the new Ontario Senior Champion. Also to Ilia Bluvshtein who is the over 65 Champion and a special shout out to Nice Oancea for hosting it at his fine club and who also came 3rd with a performance rating about 300 poiints above his regular rating!

Comment

Working...
                    X