Time for the US Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rd 3 Full of fighting chess! Three fantastic wins as Black Caruana over Xiong, Mishra over Robson and Shankland over Niemann.
    ​​​​​​https://www.chess.com/news/view/2023...pionship-day-3 I'll let chess.com present the annotations as there were so many highlight points in each of the games.

Comment

The Xiong - Caruana game was full of many delightful points. The game turned when Jeffery Xiong allowed the sacrifice of the exchange and it was fascinating to watch how Caruana converted his strategical plus of the white squares. Xiong put up a hard defensive fight and the game went on thru the nuances of a queen and pawn endgame where I thought at one point that Xiong had obtained a draw. It was pure entralling entertainment for 70+ moves. The computer said the game was full of mistakes. This however definitely did not detract from the entertainment value.
      Last edited by Hans Jung; Sunday, 8th October, 2023, 10:53 AM.

Comment

It really says something when the youngest and second lowest rated participant Mishra is in clear first place after three rounds. His opening preparation is incredibly deep and is winnning games for him and he is an uncompromising fighter. I love what his success is doing to the tournament. Every game is a fight and there are no easy opponents.

Comment

I must mention Sam Shankland who played a delightful finish against Hans Niemann and also Dominguez who spoiled a great position due to lack of time.

Comment

Tokhirjonova is proving to be quite the player and is tied for first in an entertaining women's field. I apologise for assuming her first name was her last name but I had better get it right because she will be making news for the next while. Carissa Yip is the other coleader and beat Alice Lee. Poor Alice defended so resourcefully and just when I thought she was successful she blundered probably due to shortage of time.

Comment

The race for first in the womens is close as Irina Krush finally won and there are also two others tied a half point back.

Comment

The highlight pairings for today are Mishra-Niemann and in the womens Yip-Tokhirjonava.

Comment

Rd 4 Everybodys attacking and Im loving it! - and great commentary with Uncle Yaz and associates! - and 4 Queens Gambits. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Comment

All the attacking play has translated into small advantages. Sevian-Dominguez draw. Shankland has a winning technical endgame against So (my opinion). It will be interesting to see if he can convert it. Aronian-Robson is the other interesting endgame.

Comment

Mishra went astray in the late middlegame against Hans Niemann and lost.

Comment

Caruana ground out a long endgame to take the lead. The leaderboard has been changing every round and the chess is exciting.

Comment

Alice Lee survived a worse position and fought back gamely, including an interesting king walk, to get her first win.

Comment

The co-leaders Yip and Tokhirjonova had an interesting game that ended up a draw.

Comment

Today, Monday, is a rest day. No games.

Comment

Rd 5 Caruana is in the drivers seat. In first place clear and having two wins in a row. Good chances for a third against Andrew Tang.

Comment

Working...
                                X