Top 5: What makes people stay in chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5: What makes people stay in chess?

1. Your rating continues to go up.
    2. The magic of this extraordinary game.
    3. The pleasure of playing an extraordinary game.
    4. Sense of Community...you have chess friends and you love to spend time with them. You follow the stars and enjoy their contribution to the game.
    5. It takes you away from the day-to-day reality.

What are your top 5 reasons to continue to play chess?

Re: Top 5: What makes people stay in chess?

Hi Larry:

A pretty good list.

I'd add : trying to achieve a personal best ( and this can be rating, a title, or just seeing the best move in a position - that you found it ! )

Bob

Comment

It's part of my national culture as a Serb and Bosnian. Its one of the places I can use my real name not my nickname, chess players being well used to Slavic names.

Comment

Mine is rather unique!!! I am a full-time Realtor in Toronto and full-timer Senior Instructor in Toronto. Therefore, i have no time for competitive play,but have always loved Coaching kids in hockey,baseball,swimming,track and through Larry about 11 years ago got into this wonderful,passionate teaching/coaching career.It works-the rewards have been amazing-never in my dreams did I think 20 years ago this would come my way!!!

Comment

The challenge of a fight within yourself, battling your own inner demons, like self doubt.
          The challenge of playing someone like myself who has a real love of the game and wants to do well.
          The possibility of creating something beautiful.
          The thrill when you realize that victory could be near.
          Being on a precipice for most of the game and escaping, using a disparate ploy, into a win or a draw.

Comment

"For the money and the chicks of course...' (I think some master once said this but I forgot who)

Comment

Working...
            X