Newsletter Omissions: September & October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsletter Omissions: September & October

I received an email today from a reader who has pointed out a few events that should have received coverage in the newsletter.

In the first issue in September, there was no article on the Canadian Closed. This was a mistake by me. I should have at least reported on the results.

In the October issue, there should have been a report on the recently completed 1e Festival d'échecs de la Francophonie in Italy where two Canadians participated and finished well. These players were Jean Hebert and Paul St. Amand. Mr. Hebert finished in a tie for first with 6.5/9 I believe, and Mr. Amand finished with 5/9 which was good for a share of 7th-11th. Had I scoured the French side of chesstalk, I would have found enough information to put together a report. The fact that my French is poor is really no excuse.

I will try to eliminate such glaring errors in the future, and I ask the readers for their help in suggesting events that I might otherwise overlook. The newsletter should be providing coverage on Canadian players wherever they may be.

Regards,

Tony

Re: Newsletter Omissions: September & October

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
    I received an email today from a reader who has pointed out a few events that should have received coverage in the newsletter.

In the first issue in September, there was no article on the Canadian Closed. This was a mistake by me. I should have at least reported on the results.

In the October issue, there should have been a report on the recently completed 1e Festival d'échecs de la Francophonie in Italy where two Canadians participated and finished well. These players were Jean Hebert and Paul St. Amand. Mr. Hebert finished in a tie for first with 6.5/9 I believe, and Mr. Amand finished with 5/9 which was good for a share of 7th-11th. Had I scoured the French side of chesstalk, I would have found enough information to put together a report. The fact that my French is poor is really no excuse.

I will try to eliminate such glaring errors in the future, and I ask the readers for their help in suggesting events that I might otherwise overlook. The newsletter should be providing coverage on Canadian players wherever they may be.

Regards,

Tony
    To read the french chesstalk in english click here. This is the Google translator.

BTW: Jean is the French Champion due to tie breaking method used. He got the title and the money for the first prize without having to share it.

Thank you for the newsletter.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Thursday, 22nd October, 2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
      To read the french chesstalk in english click here. This is the Google translator.

BTW: Jean is the French Champion due to tie breaking method used. He got the title and the money for the first prize without having to share it.

Carl
      Thank you Carl!

Comment

Thanks Tony for all the effort you are putting into this newsletter! It is tireless people like you and S.Wright (and many other!) that gives us such a good email product. we will forgive you for a small omission :)

Comment

Re : Newsletter Omissions: September & October

I strongly recommend you to ask someone who can read in French to tell you if there is importants events covered on the French board. Be careful while using translators because sometimes they just don't give you the good traduction at all. I remember once I wanted to traduct a Norwegian chess website and on the main page the title was : ''Please help me, I'm an office''. :D

Anyway, most of the importants events are covered on the english board too, like the 1e Festival d'échecs de la Francophonie in Italy.

Comment

Don't forget that those online translators often translate names as well. A French-to-English translation once converted "Alexandre Le Siège" to "Alexander the Seat", and s Spanish-to-English translation changed "Tony Miles" to "Tony Thousands".

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              Don't forget that those online translators often translate names as well. A French-to-English translation once converted "Alexandre Le Siège" to "Alexander the Seat", and s Spanish-to-English translation changed "Tony Miles" to "Tony Thousands".
              It shows how persons writes too - it was easy two read translated someones messages at a French chesstalk side, but someones were completely not-understandable :D

Comment

I have to agree with the message of Jason here. Tony this is a terrific effort, regardless of omissions. I would like to say thanks for putting out such a strong effort and such a well arranged newsletter!

Mavros

Comment

Working...
                X