2024 Aurora Spring Open (Ontario) - March 23-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Aurora Spring Open (Ontario) - March 23-24

This one is a 2-day 5-round Swiss with Master, U2100, U1700, and U1300 sections. There will be one-day rapid tournament for juniors on Saturday, and for everyone else on Sunday too.

The location - Newmarket Old Town Hall.

Details at http://www.aucc.club/2024-aurora-spring-open
    (again not many changes from the previous 2023 Open)

Bumping up.

Two months and a little bit till the tournament.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 29th January, 2024, 09:49 AM. Reason: removed the outdated list

Comment

Less than two months till the tournament.
      Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 15th February, 2024, 03:08 PM.

Comment

The players list with 40 players (while more will be added over the weekend).

Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 19th February, 2024, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Roughly a month till the tournament.
          Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Saturday, 24th February, 2024, 01:01 AM.

Comment

I plan to make my comeback here. in the <2100 section. I am currently about 20 years underrated. Haven't won a CFC rated game since the Bayview Games Club folded. So I expect some easy rating points.

Is there a published record of the greatest rating gain in a CFC tournament?
            Last edited by Fred Henderson; Tuesday, 20th February, 2024, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
              Is there a published record of the greatest rating gain in a CFC tournament?
              Maybe Don could write a script to figure that out.

Though I see quite impressive 2061-1802 = 259 points per tournament by Brendan Tan (https://www.chess.ca/en/ratings/t/?id=202402097 )

Comment

A month till tournament (and feels that calendars started to beep :) - another 10 players to the list.and
                60. Fred Henderson :)
                Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 28th February, 2024, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Though I see quite impressive 2061-1802 = 259 points per tournament by Brendan Tan (https://www.chess.ca/en/ratings/t/?id=202402097 )
                  Perhaps more apt (circumspect?) would be greatest performance rating over standard rating. I probably was into the green when I posted that.

I was reading about Aurora on the Internet and looking at photographs looks like a nice area, lots of outdoor areas. After 40 yrs in Toronto, I'm looking for something different. Probably I will come up early and scout around. Can you recommend a decent motel or camping site near the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
                    I was reading about Aurora on the Internet and looking at photographs looks like a nice area, lots of outdoor areas. After 40 yrs in Toronto, I'm looking for something different. Probably I will come up early and scout around. Can you recommend a decent motel or camping site near the tournament.

Keep in mind - the tournament is in Newmarket! If you're looking about Aurora - be careful not to read about Auroras in US :)

Camping sites --- I don't know any close by what would be operating at this moment.

Motel - I have not stay in any of them. Aurora got two new recently, Newmarket has some too.

Comment

ooooh, i must read more carefully. Ok I'm sure i can deal, just thought I'd ask you while i had you attention. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        Excluding quick, provisional, and adjusted ratings, ... rating point gains:
                        1. See LINK: In 1996, Derek Pleau gained 584 points to 1669.
                        2. See LINK: In 2005, George Luca gained 500 points to 1082.
                        3. See LINK: In 2018, Victor Morin-Pare gained 460 points to 1902.

And performance rating above pre-event rating:
                        1. See LINK: In 2022, Andrew Guo performed at 1978, 1106 points above his 872 rating.
                        2. See LINK: In 2012, Chenxi Wui performed at 1909, 1033 points above his 876 rating.
                        3. See LINK: In 2003, Francis Trueman performed at 2506, 1027 points above his 1479 rating (but looks like he won one game by forfeit and it was rated).

Comment

Reminder: GM, WGM, IM and WIM free entry if confirmed by March 1st. Please send the email to info@aucc.club or using the form on the website..

Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Sunday, 3rd March, 2024, 11:56 PM.

Comment

20 days till tournament.
                            84. Fred Henderson
                            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 5th March, 2024, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Have you looked at the new FIDE Ratings?

Under 1700 section might need to be changed to under 1710
                              Moran-Venegas, Mario 1705 FIDE
                              Miaco, Trifelino 1706

Under 1300 maybe change to under 1500 FIDE? Three players would have to play up.
                              Fischer, Jacob 1617 FIDE
                              Banic, John 1584
                              Lomov, Peter 1480
                              Dattani, Dinesh 1514
                              Jia, Jasper Yunjie 1492
                              Mourgelas, James 1480

Comment

Working...
                              X