My First Contact with Chess by Bernard Freedman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHAPTER XVIII MATCH - BUFFALO vs TORONTO, about 1934

About thirty top-ranking players from each city were to meet half way in Grimsby, Ontario. This was, at that time, a yearly event,
    I had provided the chess sets and the boards for all the players. We were short of transportation so I rented an extra car from one of the garages,
    By midnight most of the players had finished their game and were on their way home. J.S. Morrison, Canadian Champion, was known to be a very slow player. His game was the last unfinished board. After a while I decided to leave and requested him to be sure and bring back the chess set. He was also to use the rented car to return to Toronto.
    The next day I phoned him to get the result of his game and also asked him about my chess set. He could not positively remember. So I phoned the garage and asked the owner if he had my chess set. He replied emphatically, "No!"
    A few days later I went over to pay for the rented car and inquired again about my missing chess set. He said, "I have not got it, besides, over there in the corner is the car that was used. Just see for yourself."
    I went over and then discovered my chess set in a bag. I then returned to the owner of the garage, opened the bag and pulled out the Knight, one of the pieces. He stared, then exclaimed, "Them little horses......!"

Comment

CHAPTER XIX DR. ALEXANDER ALEKHINE

He was a brilliant chess master and in 1933 (1927) challenged J.R. Capablanca, World Chess Champion, for the title. Capablanca had won the title in 1921 from Dr. E. Lasker.
      In order to raise funds he toured Europe, U.S.A., and Canada, giving simultaneous exhibitions. We invited him to Toronto where he was to play forty players simultaneously and two blind-fold games at the T. Eaton's new auditorium.
      I was to meet him at Union Station in Toronto. Having met him previously in Antwerp, I recognized him when he got off the train. He was carrying two large grips, bulging with clothing and papers, while a surplus was dangling outside the bags. He was, at the same time, pressing under his arms a half dozen books. I immediately relieved him of his luggage for which he was very grateful, then drove him to the hotel.
      He had come from Los Angeles where some of the Hollywood film directors were considering making a film about chess.
      We conversed in French and I asked permission to re-arrange his bags. After repacking his books, shirts, clothing in an orderly way, I had everything properly packed with one valise still half empty, to which I drew his attention. Alekhine is very tall - he just crossed his arms, looking in amazement said, "C'est merveilleux!" (It is marvelous) "How did you ever manage this?"
      A few years later Alekhine became World Chess Champion.

Comment

CHAPTER XX YEARLY HOLIDAYING IN VENICE, FLORIDA - 1954

I was invited to give a talk on chess at a weekly Rotary luncheon meeting.

The Sarasota Herald Tribune of March 1954, wrote as follows:
        "Bernard Freedman, vice president of the International Chess Federation, told Rotarians that chess is not only for the aged, but very much for the younger people. He said it would be wise if parents encouraged their children to play the game because it answers purposes of recreation and keeps children away from the street and trouble.
        Freedman cited parallels between chess and life. He said in chess, while the pieces, according to moves, have different ranges and values, these values mean nothing unless the pieces are made full use of and brought out into play so as to make them available as necessary. In life people often have great assets but unless they make use of them they remain frozen assets and practically useless. He said in chess, every move or plan must be logical."

Comment

CHAPTER XX continued

"Freedman said there are certain principles you should know if you want to play a good game of chess; concerning the position of the pieces, what to avoid and what to aim at, and in life it is the same. Certain principles people should always follow to be successful, it permits proper planning. Chess definitely takes people away from their serious problems and regular routine. It relaxes their minds, he said. Freedman cited a direct reduction in child delinquency and police department operating expenses as a result of the teaching of chess in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, according to the then Mayor Hays."

Comment

CHAPTER XXI CHESS PLAYERS ARE VERY ABSORBED IN THEIR GAME

"The roof could fall down and you could not wake him," is often stated.

At the Queen City Chess Club in Toronto, players would often relax by playing ping-pong in one of the upstairs rooms. This continuous jumping naturally weakened the ceiling of the chess room.
            One day I was watching two players completely absorbed in their game when suddenly the plaster started falling down, first in small pieces, then in larger chunks. I rushed out of the room but the two players continued unperturbed.
            When more plaster fell and started covering their chess board they simply removed the plaster, lifted the table out into the corridor and continued their game as if nothing had happened.

Comment

CHAPTER XXII CHESS WITH HANDICAPPED CHILDREN

In Toronto, Pat Montgomery, school principal, was a great advocate of chess for young children and for many years at any school he was transferred to he would, as extra curriculum, patiently initiate the games to boys and girls eight to twelve years old.

We became good friends and he would call on me for chess books and from time to time would invite me to lecture on some of the finer points of the game. I also gave simultaneous exhibitions. I would naturally give them handicaps and would encourage them to win.

Mr. Montgomery once called on me in December to visit his pupils at the Wellesley School for Handicapped Children, at which he was the principal. Although it was my busy season I did not hesitate and came over in the afternoon with all my chess boards and sets. The players were all lined up in high and low, specially built, chairs according to their handicap. I was very much impressed and as I went around making one move at a time at every board I came upon a charming, young twelve year old girl with her chess board set on a very low stool. Pat Montgomery sat next to her. I made my move and waited for her reply. I suddenly saw her lift one leg and with her free toes pick up a piece and place it on one of the squares. I looked up and was stunned. The little girl had no arms and just smiled at me. I had a cold shiver running down my spine.

We continued playing and when the session was over I had conceded four draws but I resigned my game to the little girl, who had been slightly coached by Pat, but had more than anyone I ever met, deserved her win. I promised her a small trophy with a proper inscription of Chess Champion of Wellesley School. Pat later told me that at the following Christmas home party the gift she prized the most was the chess trophy.

I inquired lately and Pat told me that she was quite a fine young lady, now living in Vancouver with her family.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                CHAPTER XXII CHESS WITH HANDICAPPED CHILDREN

In Toronto, Pat Montgomery, school principal, was a great advocate of chess for young children and for many years at any school he was transferred to he would, as extra curriculum, patiently initiate the games to boys and girls eight to twelve years old.

We became good friends and he would call on me for chess books and from time to time would invite me to lecture on some of the finer points of the game. I also gave simultaneous exhibitions. I would naturally give them handicaps and would encourage them to win.

Mr. Montgomery once called on me in December to visit his pupils at the Wellesley School for Handicapped Children, at which he was the principal. Although it was my busy season I did not hesitate and came over in the afternoon with all my chess boards and sets. The players were all lined up in high and low, specially built, chairs according to their handicap. I was very much impressed and as I went around making one move at a time at every board I came upon a charming, young twelve year old girl with her chess board set on a very low stool. Pat Montgomery sat next to her. I made my move and waited for her reply. I suddenly saw her lift one leg and with her free toes pick up a piece and place it on one of the squares. I looked up and was stunned. The little girl had no arms and just smiled at me. I had a cold shiver running down my spine.

We continued playing and when the session was over I had conceded four draws but I resigned my game to the little girl, who had been slightly coached by Pat, but had more than anyone I ever met, deserved her win. I promised her a small trophy with a proper inscription of Chess Champion of Wellesley School. Pat later told me that at the following Christmas home party the gift she prized the most was the chess trophy.

I inquired lately and Pat told me that she was quite a fine young lady, now living in Vancouver with her family.
                Really made my day!
                Thanks very much Hans.

Comment

Thanks Francis. My loyal readers keep me motivated.

Comment

CHAPTER XXIII THE BLIND PLAY CHESS

For many years I would visit weekly chess players at the Canadian Institute for the Blind. We formed a club and I would instruct them and even had them join the Toronto chess league. They had some strong players and when they played in the tournament we made special rules for them, permitting them to touch the pieces, as it was the only way they could check the position of the pieces and plan their next move. Of course the opponents had to call out their moves.

They used special boards on which the black squares were recessed, permitting them to identify the squares. To differentiate between the black and white pieces, the top of the black pieces were slightly filed. All the pieces could be plugged in, as in the center of each square there was a round hole.

They were short of sets so I promised Mr. Beeth, the club's president, that I could alter some of the numerous sets I always had on hand. So I drilled a hole at the bottom of the thirty two pieces and glued a wooden plug which extended about half an inch. I then filed the black pieces. When the work was done I tested the work but could not, with my eyes closed, identify the white from the black, so I apologized to Mr. Beeth. He tried them, and with his sensitive touch, identified every piece. He complimented me and I was very much relieved.

Comment

CHAPTER XXIII continued

We would usually meet in their waiting room on Beverley Street. Once however, this room was unavailable so it was decided that we would go into one of the large rooms upstairs. So we marched, about twenty of us, through narrow corridors and up steep stairs, two men holding my arms. It was pitch dark. Mr. Beeth suddenly called out, "You had better put on the lights so that Mr. Freedman can see." They had no trouble, marching ten steps in one direction, five in another, and so on. When we entered the upstairs room there was a very slight draft so he called out to one of the blind players, "Close that second window to the left."
                      Some time later at a banquet of the Blind, Col. Baker, President of the Institute, said, "It is true you all have a brain but do not use it to the fullest extent. You all have eyes, but do not see everything. Remember, disability does not mean inability."
                      I certainly agree.

Comment

CHAPTER XXIV DR. D. F. BOHATIRCHUK

He came to Canada in about 1951 after having fled Russia and later Germany. He was a very strong Russian player, his record in national and international matches was very high. However, what he needed most then was a job, so he was referred to me.
                        He gave me his qualifications, they were excellent. He was a scientist and had written a paper on cancer research. He had many degrees. I introduced him to my good friend, Captain G. Purcell, director of the Canadian Press, also a great chess enthusiast. He gave me his fullest support and in no time had a job for him at the University of Ottawa. Later the Rockefeller Foundation awarded Dr. Bohatirchuk a grant to carry on his research.
                        Dr. Bohatirchuk's application for international chess master had been turned down by the F. I. D. E. The Russians, for personal reasons, and their friends, had vetoed the request. The Doctor thought it was useless making a new application. I did not agree.

Comment

CHAPTER XXV RUSSIAN CHESS MASTERS VISIT CANADA

In June 1954 two international grandmasters, Alex Kotov and Igor Bondarevsky visited Canada. Vladimir Bourdine of the Russian Embassy had requested me to help in arranging their tour. I agreed. They came to Toronto where they gave very fine exhibitions. They met our strongest players and were very well received. I took them to Niagara Falls and showed them the sights.

In Ottawa they had given exhibitions two days previously, but had refused to play Dr. Bohatirchuk. This, of course, made headlines in our Canadian papers.

I approached them on the subject of an application of international chess master for the doctor. I emphasized that irrespective of their personal feelings they should not, in all fairness, deprive the title of international chess master to anyone if he had qualified by right.

I asked them to write to Ragozin, the Russian delegate at the coming Vienna general meeting and advise him strongly of my request as a vice-president of the F.I.D.E., and on behalf of Canada. I confirmed this in writing to Ragozin. I notified Mr. Rogard, president of the F.I.D.E. I also wrote my friend, L. Weltjens, the Belgian delegate, and to the French delegate for support. Two months later Dr. Bohatirchuk gothis title, the Russians and their friends having abstained from voting.

Comment

CHAPTER XXVI DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE YOUTH

Rapid-transit chess is the name given to chess when each player has only ten seconds to make his move - or forfeit the game.

I invited all young chess players eight to fourteen, at the Y.M.C.A., for a tournament on the following Saturday afternoon. There were one hundred and twenty entries. We divided them into groups of six players each. They were to play a round-robin tournament in order to produce a winner in each group. I was tournament director and called out alternately white, black, white, etc., every ten seconds. We had referees checking in each group and gave prizes to the winners.

The session was so successful that I suggested an innovation. Every player had a chess set and board. I was to call out a game played by masters and recorded in a chess magazine. I decided on a fifty move game. I then called out the moves as the following example: White pawn to king four, black pawn to king four; white knight to king's bishop three; black knight to queen's bishop three; white bishop to knight five, etc. I offered a wooden loaded Staunton chess set to anyone who would have the correct position after the fiftieth move. I called the moves steadily without stopping and when it was over, we had twelve winners. It cost me twelve new chess sets and I had my costly lesson, but it was worth it.

Comment

CHAPTER XXVII TAUGHT CHESS TO THE YOUTH AT THE YMHA

For many years I had regular weekly classes from seven-thirty to nine for boys nine to twelve years old. They were good boys and very keen. When I would arrive by car with all my chess material they would all be waiting at the entrance and would all want to help carry the chess boards, sets, my writing material, and my demonstration board into the classroom.

On my first lesson I taught them the names of the pieces and how they moved. When class was over I said that they were not ready to play the game and I could therefore not determine the winners. However, since I had six bars of chocolate I would give them to: and stopped, while they were anxious for my decision. I repeated, "I will give them to: the six boys who had the cleanest hands." It was a hard decision to make because most of them had dirty hands.

The following week, as they marched into the classroom, they were all smiles and as they passed me they tried to draw my attention to their clean hands. I remained unperturbed. When the lesson was over I again stated that I could not yet give prizes for the winners, but that I had six chocolate bars that I would give to: and I hesitated again, then continued, to the ones who had the cleanest necks.

I received many phone calls from parents who wanted to know what this was all about. Their children had said that Mr. Freedman told them that they must have clean hands if they wanted to come to the chess class. Many parents stated that they had never been able to make them wash their hands without scolding them.

I always rewarded their efforts with a compliment or some promise, such as having their picture taken while playing chess and giving each a copy, or by organizing club tournaments or by arranging chess matches with other clubs in Toronto and other cities.

I would take advantage while having their attention and confidence, to talk on many subjects of interest. The director of the Y wanted to know how I could keep my pupils so interested, stating that I had many problem children. I replied that I had no problem children, but that many of these children had problem parents.

Comment

CHAPTER XXVIII CHESS BY CORRESPONDENCE

There are many chess players who would enjoy playing the game but who either, on account of their job or profession or other important obligations, cannot join a chess club. This also applies to ailing players and to chess lovers who live too far from a chess club or in small communities where there are no chess clubs. There are tens of thousands in this category who then play chess by correspondence.

I was for over twenty years, tournament director of the Canadian correspondence chess association. I organized tournaments in groups of eight to twelve per group. I would send them a schedule of play with opponents located anywhere in Canada, the United States, and even South America. White always makes the first move. Each player who had white would send a postcard to his opponent indicating his move, his opponent then would study the move, reply within a specified number of days, repeat the last move received in order to avoid mistakes, and send his reply. This would go on until the game was over.

Depending on the distance, some games would last six months, some one year, and some longer. The final score or complaints would be sent to me. A monthly bulletin advised all the members of their results and standing. Some players would play thirty games or more at a time, which would permit them to enjoy daily interesting chess games. Many would add some personal and local news and quite a number created lasting friendships.

For each of their games, the players had a special cardboard chess set with plastic pieces which could be inserted and moved from one square to another.

They had a positional record of each of their games. It avoided replaying every game on receipt of a reply. During the second World War I often had the visit of the R.C.M.P. who were puzzled and suspicious by these messages such as: PxP (pawn takes pawn), N-K-B6 (Knight to King's bishop six), 0-0 (to castle), + (check to the king), they suspected that it might be a code. One glance at any post card proper chess annotations would convince me that it was quite harmless, my Mountie friends would walk away quite relieved.

Comment

Working...
                                X