• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A.F. MacKenzie White mate in two

Comment

H.W. Lane White mate in two

Comment

Describing the above two problems in Wonders and Curiosities of Chess Irving Chernev writes: An extraordinary set of coincidences marked two problems submitted to the Eighth Composing Tourney of the Brighton Society in 1898. Not only were the positions almost alike, the key moves matched, the resulting ideas duplicated each other, but strangest of all - both composers were blind!

Also the next position is from Wonders and Curiosities. What an amazing book! and a delight to read over and over or just to revisit some of the anecdotes or positions.

Comment

Al-Adli 800's A.D. also Jorgensen - Sorensen 1945 White mate in three. That this position was reached in a tournament game is quite remarkable!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            Al-Adli 800's A.D. also Jorgensen - Sorensen 1945 White mate in three. That this position was reached in a tournament game is quite remarkable!
            wow, what a cool pseudo-swallow-tail, thanks Hans

Comment

Now I'm going to look at an ultimate fun book Blunders and Brilliancies by Ian Mullen and Moe Moss. Does anybody know this book? (its part Canadian) What an enjoyable book!

The first diagram of the first chapter is from the game Rousseau - Saint Amand Montreal 1983 I used to trade wit and have a lot of fun with Paul Saint Amand, who was a good friend of Alex LeSiege. Is that the same player as in the game? I remember Paul trading wit with Igor Ivanov and Igor was very witty. Memories - life would be rather bland without them.

This book does not have problem compositions but I am including it in this thread because, although the diagrams are all from game positions they are set up as problems to challenge the reader.

The first actual diagram in the book is from a game of Danny Kopec. What did he miss? Find the knockout.

Comment

Kopec-Condie, Troon 1980 White to play find the knockout

Comment

Rousseau - Saint Amand 1983 White to play find the knockout

Comment

Rosenblatt-Wolk, Biel 1977 White to play What is White's knockout move?

Comment

These are great Hans!!

Comment

Hi Aris, Do you know the book, Blunders and Brilliancies?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                          Hi Aris, Do you know the book, Blunders and Brilliancies?
                          No, I don't, what's up?

Comment

Just a wonderful book to have both for coaching purposes and some Canadian content. Full of creative tactics. I know you would enjoy it tremendously if you could get your hands on it, Aris.

Comment

Nakagawa - Day Buenos Aires olympics 1978 White to move

Comment

Ljubojevic - Browne Amsterdam 1972 Black to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X