World's Oldest Grandmasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Oldest Grandmasters

https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-ol...g-grandmasters and they keep getting older. Interestingly, Duckstein from Austria is now the oldest, he just recently received the honorary grandmaster title.

I wonder who is the oldest ACTIVE grandmaster.

Comment

Well John, depends if you include team play as being active. Europe has many chess leagues and seniors championships. Duckstein and Spassky are not active. I guess you would have to research the others on an individual basis.

Comment

I was curious, so I checked the FIDE profiles of all of the names on the list. GM Hecht is still active, having played in an Austrian league in January and a rapid tournament just a couple of weeks ago. The next most recent results I found were for GM Kraidman, who was playing league games as recently as 2019, with GM Panno having one blitz game in 2019 as well.

Comment

It would also be interesting to know who were the oldest players to become grandmaster. I know only of Jonathan Tisdall, who gained the GM title in his 40s, and documented his effort in the book "Improve your Chess Now"

Comment

I think it's never too late for anything. You should watch this movie called Nyad. It's a biography of swimmer Diane Nyad who swam across from Cuba to US at the age of 64.

Comment

I think the one who set the bar for becoming a grandmaster at the age of 60 was Larry Kaufman, who won the World Seniors in 2008. He has written many books on his efforts and did it mainly through extensive computer work. His son Raymond is an international master and has lived in Canada for many years.

Comment

Yes, Ray Kaufman is quite active in the BC chess scene. He often plays for BC in the annual BC vs Washington and BC vs Alberta matches.
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                  I think the one who set the bar for becoming a grandmaster at the age of 60 was Larry Kaufman, who won the World Seniors in 2008. He has written many books on his efforts and did it mainly through extensive computer work. His son Raymond is an international master and has lived in Canada for many years.
                  Thanks for a good tip. I'll be sure to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X