Canadians in Iceland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadians in Iceland

At least 14 Canadians (or listed as CAN by the organizers) will be playing in the Reykjavik Open, from March 15-21.

Chess-Results Server Chess-results.com - Reykjavik Open 2024

Chess dot com will have live games and commentary.

HI Hugh; Would you please post your cdn data bases again on chess talk . I have had questions on how to get them Thanks.

Comment

I know Devin Nicholson :) Who is Alexandra Botez?

Comment

Famous chess streamer, Olga, one of the Botez sisters.

Comment

Good to see Michael Kleinman playing again and I hope Aaaron Mendes gets a GM norm. Good Luck and good games to all Canadians.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            Famous chess streamer, Olga, one of the Botez sisters.
            It was a joke Hans...Who would not know Botez sisters? Glad to see Devin Nicholson is going.

Comment

John Brown: by year: CANBASE II - Archives (fqechecs.qc.ca)
              by titled player name: CANBASE II - Players / Joueurs (fqechecs.qc.ca)

There will be an update around April 1 - depending on whether/when the Closed games will be available.

Comment

Thanks Hugh I'll let them know.

Comment

Board 2 in round 1 (Friday, March 15) will be/is/was Ivanchuk-MacKinnon. Follow it live starting at 11 am EDT. Schedule - Reykjavik Open 2024 - Chess.com

Comment

Henry Pollitt is doing the best of the Canadians so far. He's gained 34 FIFE points. Honorable mention to Alexandra Botez who beat an IM in a resourceful defending game and has gained 11 points.

Comment

Rd 4 Both the Botez sisters sparkled this round. Alexandra set up a lovely trap and her opponent took the bait with Rxb2+, allowing either the win of a piece or a checkmating attack. Checkmate!

Comment

Rd 4 My old rival Thanh Nha Duong missed a lovely tickler in his game but found another resource to win. Thanh Nha Duong is an IM from Montreal. In 1999 at the Canadian Championship in Brantford I missed a winning move in time pressure against him. He went on to win against Nickoloff in the last round and obtained the IM title.

Comment

Rd4 Henry Pollitt keeps increasing his Fide rating. His last result was a draw against an A class player and he's played 4 A class players in a row. Keep up the good chess Henry!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            At least 14 Canadians (or listed as CAN by the organizers) will be playing in the Reykjavik Open, from March 15-21.

Chess-Results Server Chess-results.com - Reykjavik Open 2024

Chess dot com will have live games and commentary.
                            I always find it disappointing when in a field of so many players, we get 2 boards matching Canadians vs. Canadians. I do realize that it is a simple matter of points earned and some other factors, but still disappointing!
                            On another matter, can anyone explain what is meant by certain participants playing on fixed boards? They have that *) behind their names. Thanks.

Comment

I'm assuming the players on fixed boards are "streamers". They probably have a camera or two at each board which either (1) transfers video to analysts (strong players) who are analyzing the game on the fly. Or (2) stores video for later online analysis by strong players. The players themselves are already well-known in the streaming/Youtube/Twitch world.

Comment

Working...
                              X