Excelsior Club closing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excelsior Club closing?

Just received notice that Excelsior Club has closed. Is this true? If so, its unfortunate.

https://excelsiorchessclub.ca/closed/

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      Just received notice that Excelsior Club has closed. Is this true? If so, its unfortunate.
      I received the email too... just when I thought I might join that club (or at least pay a visit to see what it was like).
      Makes me wonder what "unforeseen circumstances" was all about? Pity... it seemed they were getting some traction. Perhaps they were over extended financially?
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The place is not parent friendly. There is no where for parents to sit while juniors are playing. That could have limited their entries at tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
          The place is not parent friendly. There is no where for parents to sit while juniors are playing. That could have limited their entries at tournaments.
          I had not visited the location but I imagine that might have had an impact on their operations overall.

I heard through the grapevine that the landlord decided to terminate their lease and so they had to shut down. I heard no other details or other rumours.
          Since the closure email announcement did not indicate they were going to try to regroup somewhere else,
          we will have to wait and see if they are able to do so (or whether that is in fact an option).

It seemed that they were running along ok, but who knows.

...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Beautiful club. Too bad it had to close. Looks like a very expensive area to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
              There was a skittles room at the venue, parents could and did sit there during tournaments.

Comment

Sad news. It was the club I played the most at since moving back to Toronto. Nick had set up a high class club and with great tournaments. I wish Nick all the best and thanks for your hard work with your club. I am very sorry it had to shut down.

Comment

We will miss the nice venue. Not big but very well designed.

Comment

Working...
                  X