Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Victor:

Thanks! I'll check out the link. At least we'll find some of the 80+ active Canadians.

I guess there may be some more who may be playing in non-FIDE events where there are no FIDE-rated opponents.
    ……
    Hassan Pishdad comes to mind. 86 years old and dont miss a club night unless goes for a visit to see grandkids. He has 6 tournaments this year.

Comment

I inquired of Bob G whether his computer program could pull out the name of any current paid CFC member, 80+ y.o., who had played in a rated tournament (Standard) in the prior 2 years.

As I understood him, this is not possible with the current CFC program.

Bob G - am I right?

Bob A (79 y.o. next month)
      Wow, hold my coffee & donut, that makes us sound incompetent.

Let me retort,

You've heard the phrase, garbage in garbage out?
      We do have the systems and know how to get this data.
      However, the database has many holes since for decades and decades the CFC never bothered to collect dates of birth.
      With the implementation of the JustGo system, real dates of birth are required to create an account.
      Of course, there are workarounds we employ such as entering phoney dates to keep the train on the tracks.
      So over time, the number of members with a real DOB is growing. But many of our Seniors, we don't know how old they are.

Victor, FIDE has the same problems, for decades and decades, they didn't collect dates of birth either.
      So I doubt the FIDE database is any more reliable than the CFC.

As time permits, we are doing more data mining. It's fun and interesting.
      But our capacity will greatly expand when we finally design and implement a new CFC rating program.
      We are in the planning phase.

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Sunday, 23rd June, 2024, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Bob G:

Thanks for the clear explanation.

I didn't intend to make the CFC sound incompetent........I was trying to point out that the current system was limited.

Very glad to hear about the rating program/database upgrading.

Bob A

Comment

Hassan Pishdad also plays regularly still at Scarborough CC!

Bob A

Comment

Here are the 8 Canadian FIDE-rated players 80+ who are still active:
            FIDE
            Bob A

Std Rapid Blitz DoB
            8 record(s) found.
            Ali, Husain

CAN
            1770 1816 1938
            Cloutier, Eric CAN 1682 1925
            Maxant, Josef CAN 1799 1939
            Murray, Michael A. CAN 1895 2005 1944
            Tachijian, Mardig CAN 1751 1920 104 y.o.!
            Trueman, Francis CAN 1613 1597 1595 1941
            Voskanyan, Vahagn FM CAN 2173 1944
            Wilson, L Kim CAN 1701 1930

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              Its my understanding that the Canadian Seniors has a veterans section (50+) and a seniors section (65+) and one should play in their appropriate age category.
              This may have been the case when the tournament was held in Guelph, but there is no World or even Canadian rule that enforces that, or even those name distinctions.

Comment

The CFC has received a bid for a 2024 Canadian Senior. Hopefully this can be approved in the next few days, so interested players can make plans.

Comment

Thanks Fred for the clarification

Comment

FIDE
                    Bob A

Std Rapid Blitz DoB
                    8 record(s) found.
                    Ali, Husain

CAN
                    1770 1816 1938
                    Neil Frarey?

Comment

Valentin Prahov (born 1933) is registered under Bulgaria, but has lived in Montreal for decades. He last played in 2019.

Comment

Can't the CFC just contact those with email contact, To ask them for their birth year? Anyone else just make a post on the website that they are looking to update files with email contact info and Birth year updates and if those who don't want to offer the information so be it.
                        Last edited by John Brown; Tuesday, 25th June, 2024, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

50+ with separate events for 65+
                          I'm with this man. Senior, at least with FIDE, means 50+.

When Viktor Korchnoi won the World Seniors title at age 75, I would bet he was competing against 50+ ages, but I suppose that would have been his choice., although I have never bothered to verify that.

Comment

FIDE
                            Bob A

Std Rapid Blitz DoB
                            8 record(s) found.
                            Ali, Husain

CAN
                            1770 1816 1938
                            For what it's worth Michael A. Murray is American - he obtained his FIDE rating by playing in the Grand Pacific Open in Victoria, BC, and was given the default federation of CAN in the FIDE submission. He can't be bothered to pay the transfer fee to be moved to his 'correct' federation.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flag Canada.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	234514

Another Canadian Senior to add to our list is Maurice Smith (90 y.o. this year).

He must not have played in a FIDE rated tournament in the last two years, because he used to have a FIDE rating.

He is VP of Scarborough CC in Toronto, and plays in all SCC club tournaments.

As a project, I am assembling a list of all the Canadian 80 + who are still active in the last 2 years (from July 1 back to July 1, 2022).

I now have 12 players tentatively (Have to decide about ones who are Canadian living abroad and/or playing under the Canadian flag, or,ones from abroad playing under the Canadian Federation).

If you have details of others, please post the info here (So long as the person does not consider it somehow a breach of privacy).

Bob A (80+ in 2025)
                              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 26th June, 2024, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post

Neil Frarey?
                                Neil Frarey can't be much more than 70.

Comment

Working...
                                X