Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANVO PEI Open Championship - July 26-28 - Charlottetown

Hello Everyone

We're just coming down from a great weekend of chess at UPEI with a total of 42 players all told, either in the Open, Amateur, Open & Amateur, Junior, or as a spare.

I'm expecting even bigger things this summer, as the ANVO PEI Open chess weekend returns to the Gentle Island, when in my opinion, it presents it's best side. The event is July 26-28, and if you're going to be playing in one or more events that will require you staying here, don't under any circumstances wait until the last minute to find accommodations. I'll be honest, hotel and motel prices are at premium in the summer and still hard to come by. I've made the assumption that it is easier, to get into the University residences, now that they have the new building (the Performing Arts Centre and Residence) that was constructed in time for the recent Canada Games. All styles of rooms and prices are available, there. The web site for UPEI, doesn't refer to traditional style residence rooms, but I'm sure there must be some available for under $100.

For the Charlottetown lodging guide I've prepared, refer to
    https://mcc.devastation.ca/char_hotels.html

As for the tournaments themselves, let's start with the ANVO PEI Open. I have created two separate schedules for this event which merge for the round 3 game. In Schedule A, you play the traditional 1-2-2 full weekend schedule (5 games over 3 days), while in Schedule B, you start Saturday morning and play two quicker rounds before moving back to the traditional time control games for rounds 3-5. A prize fund of $1,000 is expected in the case of 25 participants.
    https://mcc.devastation.ca/peiop24.html

Friday afternoon, we're holding the PEI Blitz Championship, and there will be 6 "double" rounds, for a total of 12 games. Time Control is 3 minutes per game with a 2 second increment. The tentative prize fund is $360 based on 15 players. Play runs from 4:30 until about 7pm (Round 1 of the Open is Friday at 7:30pm).
    https://mcc.devastation.ca/peibl24.html

Saturday afternoon we're holding the PEI Amateur Championship. This event is open to players rated Under 1700 CFC (or equivalent). The posted prize fund is $200 based on 10 players. For those players who want to double up and play in both this event and the Open, it's possible to still play five games in the Open by starting the Open Friday night and juggling the rounds they play. I can help with this. Play begins at 12:30pm and should run about 4.5 hours. Players who are also in the Open will be given at least a 30 minute meal break, prior to their Round 3 game of the Open.
    https://mcc.devastation.ca/peiam24.html

The final event to start is the PEI Junior Championship. This Sunday morning event starts at 10:30am and normally would finish up around 1 or 1:30pm. event is restricted to players rated Under 1200 CFC Quick Chess or equivalent, and born in 2009 or younger. Prizes are trophies, medals, chess books, etc. Players wanting to play in this event and the Open, can simply start Friday night to get all of their games in. Players who with to play in this event, the Open, and the Amateur can start Friday night and take one bye in the Open.
    https://mcc.devastation.ca/peijr24.html

Time is already ticking on the Early Bird entry fee deadline as it's coming up on Sunday, June 23.

Fred

ANVO PEI OPEN - NEW $500 Winner Takes All Prize

An anonymous donor has come forward who wishes to sponsor a separate $500 Prize for clear 1st place in the ANVO PEI Open. This prize will be known as the Winner Takes All Prize. The provisions are that this guaranteed $500 prize will be awarded to the Tournament winner, in addition to whatever the regular 1st prize or shared 1st prize would have been. As terms of the arrangement, this prize can't be divided, so if there is a tie for 1st, there will be a two game 10|5 elimination play-off and Armageddon game (if needed), using normal tie-break methods for play-off seeding, if more than two players are tied

So for example. Players A, B, and C all tie for 1st with 4/5. The REGULAR Cash Prizes are 1st - $350, 2nd $220, and $110 (Based on 25 players). The 3 players split these like normal, which works out to $227 each. The tied players are then seeded 1-3, using the tie-break formula. The second and third seeded play-off, with the winner taking on the top-seeded player in the Final play-off. If there were 4 players, the top seed would meet the 4th seed in a second semi-final. Black in an Armageddon 5|2 game would go to the player who bids (secret bid) the least amount of time to play with Black. White always plays with 5 minutes. This play-off (or series of play-offs) would start 15 minutes after the names of the players involved, and the seeding order is known.

Exciting times, indeed

Fred (06/06)

Comment

Nice! Exciting to hear about Anonymous donors showing up in Charlottetown!

Comment

The ANVO PEI Open starts in approximately four weeks

There is an oversize 1st place prize of $500 plus whatever the normal 1st prize would have been.

Three of PEIs Top players have signed up:
        Defending Champion: Anthony Banks
        PEI Champion: Jorge Moreno
        PEI Top Rated Player: NM Anthony Howarth

We'll see if any top players from NB or NS also come in on this.

We are now in the Regular payment period, which applies until Sunday, July 14.

Fred (06/28)

PS: Lance -- if you are reading this, can you please send me your choice for your PEI Open Schedule (ie., A - 3 days or B - 2 days), assuming you've decided.

PPS: I haven't heard of any issues booking a room or suite at UPEI, so I assume people trying to book here are being looked after.

===============

Let's run through the 4 distinct events that you might be able to register for.

1) The ANVO PEI Open, currently has 16 players signed up and could possibly have a record turnout this year. I have created two separate schedules for this event which merge for the round 3 game. In Schedule A, you play the traditional 1-2-2 full weekend schedule (5 games over 3 days), while in Schedule B, you start Saturday morning and play two quicker rounds before moving back to the traditional four hour time control games for rounds 3-5. A prize fund of $1,000 (plus the new $500 Winner Take All Prize) is expected in the case of 25 participants.
        https://mcc.devastation.ca/peiop24.html

2) Friday afternoon, we're holding the PEI Blitz Championship, and there will be 6 "double" rounds, for a total of 12 games. Time Control is 3 minutes per game with a 2 second increment. The tentative prize fund is $360 based on 15 players. Play runs from 4:30 until about 7pm (Round 1 of the Open is Friday at 7:30pm). We're sitting at six registered players, at the moment.
        https://mcc.devastation.ca/peibl24.html

3) Saturday afternoon we're holding the PEI Amateur Championship. This event is open to players rated Under 1700 CFC Quick Chess (or equivalent). The posted prize fund is $200 based on 10 players. Play begins at 12:30pm and should run about 4.5 hours. For those players who want to double up and play in both this event and the Open, it's possible to still play five games in the Open by starting the Open Friday night and juggling the rounds they play. I can help with this. Players who are also in the Open will be given at least a 30 minute meal break, prior to their Round 3 game of the Open, in case we run a little bit late.7 players have pre-registered, to date.
        https://mcc.devastation.ca/peiam24.html

4) The final event to start is the PEI Junior Championship. This Sunday morning event starts at 10:30am and normally would finish up around 1 or 1:30pm. The event is restricted to players rated Under 1200 CFC Quick Chess or equivalent, and born in 2009 or younger. Prizes are trophies, medals, chess books, etc. Players wanting to play in this event and the Open, can simply start Friday night to get all of their games in. Players who want to play in this event, the Open, and the Amateur should start Friday night in the Open and will play a total of 4 games in the Open and take one half point bye. 9 registrations at the moment.
        https://mcc.devastation.ca/peijr24.html

Comment

Please see the previous post for details concerning the ANVO PEI Open and associated events on the weekend of July 26-28. In addition to players from the 3 Maritime provinces, we also have participation from Quebec and Maine. With the special anonymous donation of $500, a clear winner would take home $850 (based on 25 players).

Fred (07/06)

Comment

Still lots of time to register for any of the PEI Open events. After Sunday there will be late fees.

Comment

Calix Marchand was the big winner of the PEI Open, taking both the regular 1st prize of $325 plus the special prize from our Anonymous donor of $500 - for a cool total of $825. Calix also took the PEI Blitz tournament, achieving a perfect score in both events.

Comment

Working...
              X