Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Knock-Outs - Hebert vs... ?

Hello,

So now that the November Ratings are known, I guess we can find out the pairings. I found this on wikipedia but the ratings are not matching FIDE's list atm.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_World_Cup_2009

So with Gelfand at #1, Morozevich #2, Radjabov #3, Gashimov #4, etc...
    These are seedings for knock-out, not world ranking.

But now with the FIDE list as of Nov 2nd it looks like this, from FIDE site:
    http://ratings.fide.com/top.phtml?list=men
    Gashimov #1
    Gelfand # 2
    Svidler # 3
    Morozevich # 4

Abdel Razik # 125
    Hebert # 126
    Sarwat # 127
    Obodchuk # 128

So does this mean it's Hebert vs Svidler?

This looks like an amazingly strong knock-outs overall, with some 20+ 2700s.

Alex F.

PS. On a curiosity note, I noticed Gashimov and Gelfand with the same rating, of 2758. So I know that the player with most games in that rating period is placed ahead, but in this case they both played 11 games. What's the next criteria to decide Gashimov went ahead of Gelfand?

Re: World Cup Knock-Outs - Hebert vs... ?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I am very impressed with the rise of Gashimov and Tomashevsky. Of course hard to get press when Carlsen is around, but those two seem to me to be guys who might be sticking around amongst the world elite for a while.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Okay so I found this link on FIDE website:

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...ngs-of-round-1

So it'll be Svidler - Hebert

And here Gelfand is ahead of Gashimov. Whatever...

Comment

wow tough first round pairing! I wish him luck against PS...

well I predict a huge upset! :) Play well and prosper JH...

Comment

Since Jean will be playing on one of the top few boards, maybe we will be able to watch online... Does anyone know if any of the popular chess sites will be carrying the games live?
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
            Since Jean will be playing on one of the top few boards, maybe we will be able to watch online... Does anyone know if any of the popular chess sites will be carrying the games live?
            If they use those DGT boards and relay it from the official site, I don't see why most chess servers wouldn't. I am pretty sure they've done it in past years.

http://www.ugra-chess.ru/eng/main_e.htm

Official site has a link for games, not sure if that means live or for reference after they're finished.

ICC & Playchess / Chessbase will have them live I am sure.

Alex F.

Comment

This is supposedly the official site:

http://www.ugra-chess.ru/eng/main_e.htm

There is a link to "Games" - which may be a live broadcast. Otherwise - I'm sure ICC would be covering it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                question is : video or no video for the third board.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                  Svidler is very active these days:
                  Euro Club - October 4-10
                  German Bundensliga - October 17-18
                  Euro team - October 22-30
                  Tal memorial - November 5-14
                  World Blitz championship - November 16-18
                  and
                  with Hebert - November 21-22

Lets hope he will be tired and tired of chess :D Thus, Jean will beat him in a match within two first games :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Lets hope he will be tired and tired of chess :D Thus, Jean will beat him in a match within two first games :)
                    That could have looked like very ... promising! But who knows!?

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Svidler is very active these days:
                      Euro Club - October 4-10
                      German Bundensliga - October 17-18
                      Euro team - October 22-30
                      Tal memorial - November 5-14
                      World Blitz championship - November 16-18
                      and
                      with Hebert - November 21-22

Regardless of the outcome of this match, I have been saying for years that Hebert is GM strength. If only he would travel and get his norms, his rating would soon follow...
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                        Okay so I found this link on FIDE website:

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...ngs-of-round-1

And here Gelfand is ahead of Gashimov. Whatever...
                        FIDE has become fond of rating averages, though a rating is already an average. Anyway, that might explain the difference in ranking order between the latest list and the World Cup.

In 1987, before the 1988 Candidates Matches at Saint John, I wrote to Kevin Spraggett that he could beat Andrei Sokolov (even though Sokolov had been rated #3 in the world and Kevin hadn't) with this 7-step method:
                        1. Hit him with a good TN.
                        2. Avoid time trouble
                        3. Avoid time trouble
                        4. Avoid time trouble
                        5. Avoid time trouble
                        6. Avoid time trouble
                        7. Avoid time trouble

(there were to be six games in the match). I thought that Kevin was fully as good as Sokolov on the strategical plane, but that Sokolov's success was partly due to tactical skill and partly due to the hurly burly of tournaments, not being able to prepare thoroughly.

In the end I was wrong about how the match might go, but I was right about its winnability. Kevin won the match in overtime, and Sokolov's air of near-invincibility was shattered. He never again approached the same heights.

With Jean and Svidler it's more complicated. In these short matches there are two main strategies. One is to deliver a knockout blow with White (possibly based upon a TN) and then draw with Black. The other is to play to draw both regular games and cast your fate to the faster games. Certainly the fact that there's some preparation time plays in Jean's favour. Meantime Svidler will do professional preparation, but he'll also be looking forward to his most likely opponent in round two, and possibly subsequent rounds. It would be a huge upset, rating-wise, but it's not that different from the strategy of an individual game; you envision a winning strategy, then you go for it. Bonne Chance, Jean!

Comment

I firmly believe that on any given day, a player of IM Hebert's caliber can defeat a top player like Svidler. GM Charbonneau beat Anand and GM Bluvshtein beat Shirov, so it can be done. It will be difficult but, perhaps IM Hebert's "advantage" might be that Svidler might underestimate him based on rating. In any event, I would like to wish our champion IM Hebert the best of luck in the World Cup.

GO CANADA !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
                            I firmly believe that on any given day, a player of IM Hebert's caliber can defeat a top player like Svidler. GM Charbonneau beat Anand and GM Bluvshtein beat Shirov, so it can be done. It will be difficult but, perhaps IM Hebert's "advantage" might be that Svidler might underestimate him based on rating. In any event, I would like to wish our champion IM Hebert the best of luck in the World Cup.
                            Thank you and others for their best wishes. I do not plan to go there to simply collect the loser's paycheck. I intend to fully use the few factors in my favour which are the lenght of the match (the shortest possible) and the fact that unlike him I have nothing to lose. Overconfidence can be very harmful in any given game. The key for me is to survive the first game, whether I am White or Black. Who knows what can happen afterwards if nerves get in the way... And let's face it, in the top 10 he is among the weakest. :)

Comment

Well good luck Jean. You've definitely drawn a tough opponent. With White I think you can probably find a way to keep him off book; with Black you will have to bring your A game (though Shirov held him well in the last round of the Euro Ch). If you play the French you'll definitely need to be well prepared.

I wonder if Hal is going to serve again as an arbiter at this event. That might create some strange vibrations. Stay focused!

Comment

Working...
                              X