Canadian Open, Board 3, Round 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open, Board 3, Round 1

What I found interesting in this game is how long it took Li to play 6.B:f7+. Hadn't an experienced player like her seen this before? My older CB programme says almost equal after 11 moves.

Where are the games?

Comment

https://lichess.org/broadcast/2024-c...und-1/Pu1iJ6UR Here they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken MacDonald View Post
        What I found interesting in this game is how long it took Li to play 6.B:f7+. Hadn't an experienced player like her seen this before? My older CB programme says almost equal after 11 moves.
        It looks like she made the right decision.
        Last edited by Hans Jung; Saturday, 13th July, 2024, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post

It looks like he made the right decision.
          WFM .I think a she.

Comment

Mario, thanks for the correction.

Comment

Rd2 First nicked point off a grandmaster. Lalonde vs Sambuev draw.

Comment

I checked results and the tournament now has ten grandmasters, including legends John Fedorowicz, James Tarjan and Reynaldo Vera. James Tarjan is 72 years old and is still playing great chess. 4 draws so far against the grandmasters. Ideal conditions to play grandmasters and upset them. Wish I was there.
                Last edited by Hans Jung; Sunday, 14th July, 2024, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Rd 2 Impressive win by Jorden Van Foreest. The sacrifice 27.Rxf6 was the key breakthrough and with an interesting attack White simplified into a winning endgame. A game easy to understand.

Comment

Shawn RL wrapped his game up nicely, threatening Bd3 checkmate in the final position,

Comment

After two rounds there are fourteen Canadians in the hunt with perfect scores.
                      Last edited by Hans Jung; Sunday, 14th July, 2024, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Rd 2 There is a barnburner of a game going on still and its headed fast to move 100 and beyond. Prime entertainment. Canadian Chu Zhang maybe having the game of his life against the Icelandic champion (maybe former now) GM V.V. Stefannson. Black had the good knight vs classic bad bishop. But after the recent sack of a rook for that good knight the magnificent bad bishop is playing a huge role in White's good fortune. Lots for fans to speculate about in that game.

Comment

Rd 3 should have GM's and IMs vs masters on the top boards.

Comment

It looks like GM Stefannson has found a breakthrough to the white king and the game may be over soon. Still an impressive game by Zhang.
                            Fantastic! A desperate drawing try by Zhang just played on move 92 but Black has calculated a long king walk to escape and win. 100 moves exactly.
                            Last edited by Hans Jung; Sunday, 14th July, 2024, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Deleted; New thread has been opened for Can. Open generally.
                              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 14th July, 2024, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X