Olympiad pairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterful strategy and patience by Shawn RL leads to key win to tie the Canada - Norway match.

Comment

Round 3: Did Shawn really take half an hour to play 8...c4, or was my computer on strike?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        Round 3: Did Shawn really take half an hour to play 8...c4, or was my computer on strike?
        I dont know, I just joined but I could well believe it. Its a very tricky position.

After 18.Bxe7 what is going on!?!

The queen sac was too much.
        Last edited by Hans Jung; Friday, 13th September, 2024, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Rd 3 Intricate maneuvering with the knights by Razvan. With the pseudo sacrifice of the knight on e6 has he found the critical weakness?

23.Qh5 by Razvan! I love it.

I thought 24.f4 but now I see e7 is even better. Actually now I like 24.f4, the benefit of hindsight.
          Last edited by Hans Jung; Friday, 13th September, 2024, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I am so proud of the Canadian team. It looks like they are going to beat the Czechs even after Shawn's tough loss.

Comment

A brilliant finish by Razvan! ubavoidable checkmate no less! and Shiyam I never thought a dry technical position in the opening could lead to such a great result - also unavoidable checkmate!

Comment

Raja's kingside destroying combo deserved a better fate but there is still lots of life in his position.

Comment

The Canadian Women looked like they were holding their own against the US but critical misses of tactics on two boards sealed their fate. Also Golubeva missed a knock out against Alice Lee.

Comment

IM Raja Panjwani holds the draw on board two vs. Czechia, to clinch a superb team victory, 2.5 -- 1.5!! Raja's game is absolutely fascinating!! His 2600+ GM opponent was in serious time pressure for most of the endgame, which was drawn by repetition after move 80. Final position: Raja: (W) K + R + N; .Nguyen (B) K + B + 3P!

Comment

I'm not sure what happened there but Raja's position was lost after ...Ke3

Comment

Thats what I get for jumping the gun with my prediction, fortunately Raja held the draw and Canada has their incredible victory! - an edge of the seat, exciting game - real entertainment!

Comment

You're in a good company, Peter Svidler did the same in the live broadcast
                          Last edited by Rene Preotu; Friday, 13th September, 2024, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I think Peter Svidler's following words can be treasured: "Canada is causing a real sensation - the giant killer's of the Open section" Fans take note. Thanks for pointing it out Rene.

Comment

I notice many nations have team shirts and/or jackets. Does Canada have these?

Comment

Rd 4 Canada - Greece, Canadian Women - Scotland

Comment

Working...
                                X