Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Cup in Russia

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Do you complain that Africa has 6 spots and that Junior champions are too young for the Cup?

More details http://www.fide.com/component/conten...-for-world-cup
    Not complaining - just puzzled at a system that has six representatives from Egypt and only two from Armania, three from Isreal, and none from England. Egypt seems to have lucked out. Canada lucks out too, but in a smaller way.

But then this is just one of a puzzling series of things about how FIDE operates.

Cheers

Dave Broughton

Comment

Can anyone tell me what the time controls are for the world cup. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
        Can anyone tell me what the time controls are for the world cup. Thanks.
        Normal games
        "3. 6. 1. The time control shall be 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move from move one."

Rapid Tie-breaks:
        "The games shall be played using the electronic clock starting with 25 minutes for each player with an addition of 10 seconds after each move."

Blitz:
        "5 minutes plus 3 seconds increment after each move."

Armageddon (sudden death game):
        "The player with the white pieces shall receive 5 minutes, the opponent with the black pieces shall receive 4 minutes whereupon, after the 60th move, both players shall receive an increment of 3 seconds from move 61. In case of a draw the player with the black pieces is declared the winner."

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/n...egulations.pdf

Comment

Here's the second game:

[Event "World Chess Cup"]
          [Site "Khanty-Mansiysk/Russia"]
          [Date "2009.11.21"]
          [Round "1.2"]
          [White "Hebert, Jean"]
          [Black "Svidler, Peter"]
          [Result "0-1"]
          [ECO "D85"]
          [WhiteElo "2420"]
          [BlackElo "2754"]
          [Annotator "Robot 3"]
          [PlyCount "50"]
          [EventDate "2009.??.??"]
          [TimeControl "40/5400+30:1800+30"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. cxd5 Nxd5 5. Bd2 Bg7 6. e4 Nb6 7. Be3 O-O 8.
          Bb5 a6 9. Be2 f5 10. exf5 Bxf5 11. Qb3+ Kh8 12. Nf3 Qd6 13. h3 Nc6 14. d5 Nb4
          15. Nd4 N4xd5 16. Nxf5 Rxf5 17. O-O-O Qe5 18. Bf3 Nxe3 19. fxe3 Qxe3+ 20. Kc2
          Qc5 21. Rhe1 Raf8 22. Qe6 Bf6 23. Qe3 Qa5 24. Qe6 Rc5 25. Rd3 Nc4 {
          Svidler wins 2-0} 0-1

Comment

I hate the 5.Bd2 line, but it's becoming more and more popular. It just seems so passive to me for White, but the key ideas are pretty clear. One of my opponents played it in the Quebec Open this year, and I was completely unprepared. I got a bad position out of the opening, but managed to even up the position and win in time pressure.

Sorry that Jean lost both games... he'll be back for more in a couple of years I'm sure!!
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
              ... he'll be back for more in a couple of years I'm sure!!
              He'll come the next year - the chess Olympiad will be in the same town.

Comment

Working...
              X