Queen vs. Rook endgame ...... again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen vs. Rook endgame ...... again

First, I would like to know if there is an "easy" technique against third rank defense, or I have to calculate possible variations 7-10 moves ahead?

Second, how important in practice to know QvsR endgame? Does it happens often.

I know how to mate with Bishop and Knight because technique is relatively easy to learn but I never used it actual game. On the other hand QvsR endgame happened in my games twice over last 12 month and I could do much against a human opponent in a blitz game over Internet.
    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Re: Queen vs. Rook endgame ...... again

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
    First, I would like to know if there is an "easy" technique against third rank defense, or I have to calculate possible variations 7-10 moves ahead?

I know how to mate with Bishop and Knight because technique is relatively easy to learn but I never used it actual game. On the other hand QvsR endgame happened in my games twice over last 12 month and I could do much against a human opponent in a blitz game over Internet.
    According to Reuben Fine "this is a win, but from the general position the win is rather complicated."

The ending comes up occasionally in R+Ps vs R+Ps endings, where one side has promoted, perhaps after sacking their own R.

There are a few stalemate traps, because the weaker side's K must be driven to the corner of the board.

Fine, in his "Basic Chess Endings" gives the "fundamental zugzwang position" where White has a K on c6 and Q on d8, and Black a K on a7 and a R on b7.

If White, the stronger side, can reach this position with Black to move then Black will lose.

For more guidance, you may have to consult an endgame manual!
    Last edited by Peter Bokhout; Monday, 23rd November, 2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Fine's endgame manual is completely out of date regarding this particular ending as computer analysis has proven most of the old ideas wrong. The ending is so rare that my plan would simply be to offer a draw and have extra time to rest up for the next round. I believe the theoretical cost of half a point would be repaid many times over by the extra points gained from being well rested.

Not if you wanna be a GM, on the other hand, I suppose you have to learn it.

Comment

I once had lone K vs KBN in a tournament game, but it was a special case, because when my opponent took my last piece (a rook), the position was stalemate. I smiled and shook his hand. He thought I was resigning!

I've never had (a non-trivial) KQ vs KR.

In general, the Q wins "easily" because the opposing side makes a mistake. A few decades ago, the tablebase was programmed into a computer, which was thus able to play the defending side perfectly. It competed a short match against six-time US Champion, GM Walter Browne. Browne had the Q in both games. In the first game he was unable to win before the 50-move rule. Then he deeply studied the ending and won the second game, but just barely.

By contrast, a human is able to learn in seconds the correct defence with K vs KBN. The W or M winning manoeuvre is not obvious. I saw this ending at the 2004 Women's Olympiad. The stronger player was about 2100. But she finished off her opponent in just a few minutes. Piece of cake, if you know what you are doing. Bruce Harper's brother Gary, not known to the public as a chess player, could win KBN vs K with 5 minutes on the clock.

The pawnless ending I'd recommend everybody learn is the 2nd-rank defence with KR vs KRB. I could do with a bit of learning of it myself. Didn't Leko fail to defend it against Carlsen in the World Blitz? KR vs KRB happens more often than the other two combined.

Comment

Re : Queen vs. Rook endgame ...... again

As Jonathan said, it is usually easy to win because the other player needs to play very carefully...

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1480951

Here's the game Browne- Belle (computer) where he capture the rook exactly on the 50th move.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1480950
          That's the first time he tried to win against Belle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
            Fine's endgame manual is completely out of date regarding this particular ending as computer analysis has proven most of the old ideas wrong. The ending is so rare that my plan would simply be to offer a draw and have extra time to rest up for the next round. I believe the theoretical cost of half a point would be repaid many times over by the extra points gained from being well rested.

Sure its a tough win against perfect play, but I would never do this because its entirely possible for the Rook side to make a mistake that would allow an easier win. If I have this ending against someone, nobody is getting any extra time until the next round unless someone resigns =]

Comment

It is not a question of calculating 7-10 moves ahead as Ernest put it, but, you have to know a slightly anti intuitive combination.

Here is how to break the 3rd rank defense according to Karsten Muller's "Fundamental Chess Endings", on page 333. Analysis I am assuming is by Karsten Muller, Frank Lamprecht and John Nunn (who they cite).

Starting with the following chess position (in fen format)

3k4/5Q2/1r6/3K4/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

1. Qf4!

Black's rook now has no safe square on the 3rd rank, so king moves.

1 ... Kd7
              2. Qa4+ Kc7

(2... Kd8?! 3. Qa5 Kc7 4. Kc5 +-)

3. Qa7+

Black is now forced to second rank defense.

3 .... Rb7
              4. Qc5+ Kb8
              5. Kd6 Rg7
              6. Qb4+ Rb7
              7. Qe4 Rb6+
              8. Kc5 Ka7
              9. Qd4 Rb7
              10. Kc6+ Ka8
              11. Qd5 Kb8
              12. Qa5

Philidor's position has now been reached.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post

I think you've got it backwards. The desire to learn such things comes first. The title comes later, almost as a formality.

I had queen vs rook once, against Tyler Johnson. I knew the basic algorithm: approach his king and rook with my king and queen, find some zugzwang ideas, force his rook away from his king, and then win the rook with a series of ladder checks. As the game went, the check that won his rook was also checkmate. While we were playing it out, someone asked Harry Moore, "Is that a win?" He said, "If it isn't, then why bother trying to win his queen for your rook?"

I don't think anyone coming upon the ending of Q vs R for the first time would tune into the so-called third rank defence. It's more likely they will go wrong and lose the rook quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                  By contrast, a human is able to learn in seconds the correct defence with K vs KBN. The W or M winning manoeuvre is not obvious. I saw this ending at the 2004 Women's Olympiad. The stronger player was about 2100. But she finished off her opponent in just a few minutes. Piece of cake, if you know what you are doing. Bruce Harper's brother Gary, not known to the public as a chess player, could win KBN vs K with 5 minutes on the clock.
                  I've told this story before, but I still find it amusing, so here it is again.

Many years ago I was staying in resort hotel in Whistler, BC. There was another chessplayer in the hotel, and one evening we met up in the lobby. We didn't have a chess set, so we drew a board on a place mat, tore up little pieces of paper, and labeled them with letters corresponding to the names of the pieces. After half an hour or so, my opponent gave up his last piece for my last pawn, leaving me with B+N vs lone K. I had never studied this ending, and had never encountered it in a tournament game. I had no trouble driving his king to the edge of the board, but I soon realized that I couldn't deliver checkmate by force unless I got him to the corner that was the same colour as my bishop. After some further reflection I found an algorithm to accomplish this task. I delivered checkmate just as the gong sounded for dinner!

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                    It is not a question of calculating 7-10 moves ahead as Ernest put it, but, you have to know a slightly anti intuitive combination.
                    First you claim that there is no need to calculate 7-10 moves ahead and then proceed with a proof of 12(!) move what you call combination which is not forcing. And then you reach Philidor position that takes another 10 moves to make the mate and you assume that I know what a Philidor position is all about.

By the way........... for people who can't read fen language the position in question is as follows. White: Kd5, Qf7 Black: Kd8, Rb6

Well, first of all, I didn't have this position in my game. Second, even if I did have this position in my game and played 1. Qf4! then black can play instead of weak 1... Kd7? simply reply 1... Kc8 and then what?

To all people claiming that humans can't defend with a rook against a queen is wrong because (surprise, surprise) technique of defence is simple while there no easy "combination" for stronger side. Here the proof from Wikipedia article on Pawnless endings: "

Example from game
                    Gelfand-Svidler, 2001

White Kg7, Rh7 Black: Kg5, Qe8 (Philidor position)!!!

Black to move should win
                    In this 2001 game[1] between Boris Gelfand and Peter Svidler,[2] Black should win but the game was a draw because of the fifty-move rule. Black can win in several ways, for instance:
                    1... Qc8
                    2. Kf7 Qd8
                    3. Rg7+ Kf5
                    4. Rh7 Qd7+
                    5. Kg8 Qe8+
                    6. Kg7 Kg5, and wins.
                    The same position but with colors reversed occurred in a 2006 game between Alexander Morozevich and Dmitry Jakovenko – it was also drawn (Makarov 2007:170).[3] At the end of that game the rook became a desperado and the game ended in stalemate after the rook was captured.
                    Last edited by Ernest Klubis; Wednesday, 25th November, 2009, 10:36 AM.
                    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

By the way........... for people who can't read fen language the position in question is as follows. White: Kd5, Qf7 Black: Kd8, Rb6
                      there is a FEN diagram visualizer (FEN icon in the editor) :)

Comment

Working...
                      X