Khanty Quack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Khanty Quack - Another Youngster Outsted

In another defeat for the youngsters, new World Junior Champion, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave ( France ) lost to the oldest competitor, Boris Gelfand ( Israel - # 7 in the world ).

Leaves Sergei Karjakin ( Ukraine - 19 yrs. old ) left to carry the standard for the youngsters - he defeated Nikita Vitiugov ( Russia ) in the regular 2-game match in Rd. 4 .

Bob

Comment

Re: Khanty Quack

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
      Speeders round 4 Jako over grischuk, gelfand takes off the young MVL!Spraggs will be happy, for a change.Live site above crashed during blitz; this one was better:

http://cup2009.fide.com/java/pgn/mon.php , this is the official, i guess.
      get ur updates there, if interested, or at londonchesscenter, but they have changed their url fir twic to:

http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/twic.html

u may want to bookmark some these; get it straight from the horses mouth, instead of the quacks above.
      U read any posts, or look at any games, Bob? hows that grassroots campaign going for the common person vs CFC going?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        In another defeat for the youngsters, new World Junior Champion, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave ( France ) lost to the oldest competitor, Boris Gelfand ( Israel - # 7 in the world ).

Leaves Sergei Karjakin ( Ukraine - 19 yrs. old ) left to carry the standard for the youngsters - he defeated Nikita Vitiugov ( Russia ) in the regular 2-game match in Rd. 4 .

Bob
        I think Boris has an angel sitting on his shoulder. Good and Lucky is a tough combination to beat.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          I think Boris has an angel sitting on his shoulder. Good and Lucky is a tough combination to beat.
          Mr.Ruben!
          could not resist a response to you,) wisest onsite here. i hope were not hijacking this thread, depending on moderators' and/or editors senses.:)
          Admittedly not having plowed through todays active games ( serious analysis of speed would just be unfair to players), I respectfully disagree re Gelfand and his luck vs MVL. MVL has had a horseshoe up his 'armpit' for quite some time now. Thinking specifically of morozevich brilliancy not long ago in which Moro blundered w/ at least 15 other crushing moves avail. How 'bout Berry's(Grob and Nail )article two Saturday's ago, where American IM Lederman (sp?)similarly choked in crucial game of World Junior CH? Like Nakamura, LaGrave is wildly unpredictable, positionally suspect at times, probably due to 'the optomism of youth'?

as for angels, see http://www.kevinspraggett.blogspot.com/ { EDIT-- NOW defn READER'S DISCRETION HIGHLY ADVISED AS OF JUST MINUTES AGO -- Kevin may have crossed a new line}, anything original to add?
          Last edited by David McTavish; Wednesday, 2nd December, 2009, 03:51 PM. Reason: forgot url attach.condition to add

Comment

Mr.Ruben!
            could not resist a response to you,) wisest onsite here. i hope were not hijacking this thread, depending on moderators' and/or editors senses.:)
            What hijacking? Bob was talking about the event and so was I. Unless you think the fine flawless play of Boris, without blunders, has got him this far.

Besides, I thought Tony, whom I've been told is putting out a fine publication for the CFC membership, is your project this week. :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              What hijacking? Bob was talking about the event and so was I. Unless you think the fine flawless play of Boris, without blunders, has got him this far.

Besides, I thought Tony, whom I've been told is putting out a fine publication for the CFC membership, is your project this week. :)
              communication is a two-way street. Bob and you may continue to post blaise comments w/o reading what others have said; and type about your own lives' mundacities; ie teeth, heart, other non-chess redundant 'insights' into today's economy, how ur stocks are doing,etc. on oldtimer deaf business right-wing chat lines. Take Tommy w/ you too. Boris has been on top in all of his games , and let a few slip into draws. One bad loss to Judit from a gelfand python death-grip pos. That's all.

Oh, is this the CFC's website?
              Last edited by David McTavish; Wednesday, 2nd December, 2009, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Grassroots' Campaign - Replacement of Tournament Playing Fee

Hi David:

The Grassroots' Campaign went well - most of our platform got implemented by the CFC Governors in 2008-9.

In 2009-10 we have filed motion 2010-06 replacing the tournament playing fee ( = tournament membership ), the last plank of our platform, as follows:

“ 375. An annual membership discount of 40% will be given for first time CFC members ( CFC will publish a rounded off figure for the convenience of organizers ). “

This will mean that first-time CFC members will pay now about $ 26/yr., rather than the current $ 20, but they will now be a member, and get the CCN.

Bob

Comment

communication is a two-way street. Bob and you may continue to post blaise comments w/o reading what others have said; and type about your own lives' mundacities; ie teeth, heart, other non-chess redundant 'insights' into today's economy, how ur stocks are doing,etc. on oldtimer deaf business right-wing chat lines. Take Tommy w/ you too. Boris has been on top in all of his games , and let a few slip into draws. One bad loss to Judit from a gelfand python death-grip pos. That's all.

Oh, is this the CFC's website?
                  I'm not a CFC member. I'm a lifetime CCCA member.

By bad loss I take it you mean a blunder where she took advantage instead of giving it back.

You too can be an oldtimer if you get that far down the road. I've invested in a stock that's developing a promising Alzheimers drug in case things go badly.

I got the impression you're not a member of the CFC so I can't understand what objection there is to the members having what I've been told is a first rate publication.

My fondest memory of Northern Ontario was one time, some decades ago, when I rented a motel room for the night at a place where everyone else was renting the rooms by the hour.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You could do worse than bet on Karjakin at this point. Just won his first game in round five.

Comment

It's getting too tough to call!

Jako is my pick over Boris - though I am rooting for the old vet. He and Ivanchuk emerged as stars from the same World Championship Cycle back in the late 80's. They replaced the previous dynamic duo of Sokolov and Yusopov from the Spraggett cycle.

You are right Gordon - Karjakin deserves a little respect. He was ousted in the first round of 2005 and made it to the semis in 2007 against Shirov. Considering how well Mamedyrov was playing, Karjakin has really served notice!

He still has to get past Pono, but I like Gashimov to win it all. Malakhov has been described as Russia's top amateur.

Comment

What do I know?

The final four are Gelfand, Ponomariov, Malakhov and Karjakin. I am quite surprised to see Malakhov in this deep - the sole Russian survivor at that!

Comment

Each one of us has a gift. You may not be accurate in selecting match winners but you offset this in other areas.

Gelfand is an expert in the Sicilian Najdorf, and has a long climb to the top since his world junior days in 1989 with Akopian and Grischuk. In this 2009 World CUp, he shows his excellence in games with short time controls.

Ponomariov - well, he became world champion too soon. But now he is coming back with more solid foundation.

Karjakin is the current champion of the very strong Corus tournament Group A this January 2009 in the Netherlands. I watched him play for 2 days in Wijk aan Zee and was impressed (also Anishi Giri).

Malakhov is the best Russian amateur who poses real challenges to the other three semi finalists.

At this point, it is very difficult to pinpoint the winner.

However, i place my bet on Karjakin.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                            Malakhov is the best Russian amateur who poses real challenges to the other three semi finalists.
                            As a physicist, I will root for him :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              As a physicist, I will root for him :D
                              Very good! That sounds like a formula, for success! :)
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                                What do I know?

The final four are Gelfand, Ponomariov, Malakhov and Karjakin. I am quite surprised to see Malakhov in this deep - the sole Russian survivor at that!
                                Isn't Karjakin a Russian citizen, or at least moving there or something?

Comment

Working...
                                X