Congratulations to Jean Hebert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to Jean Hebert

Congratulations to our Canadian Champion for the good fight that he put up against the Russian super-GM Peter Svidler in the FIDE World Cup. Looking forward to some comments in his e-zine Hebert parle Echecs!

Re: Congratulations to Jean Hebert

Congratulations Jean!

Jean will also be provinding some words for the December issue of CCN!

Comment

Svidler - Hebert : Game 1

Game # 1 went 66 moves, though Svidler got a " winning " advantage at move 38. Hebert played well, trying to hang on.

Svidler, Peter (2754) - Hebert, Jean (2420) [C06]
      World Cup 2009 1:14.12–1:13.43 (11), 21.11.2009

1.e4= 0.20 1...e6+/= [1...e5= For Fritz, the only equalizing move. For all other normal replies, including the French, W is given a " slight " advantage. This evaluation is not generally accepted.] 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.e5 [4.Bd3 c5 5.e5 Nfd7+/=] 4...Nfd7 5.c3 [5.f4?! c5 6.Nb3=] 5...c5 6.Bd3 Nc6 7.Ne2 cxd4 8.cxd4 Nb6 9.0–0 Bd7 10.Nf3 Nb4 11.Bb1 Bb5 12.Re1 Bxe2?!± Svidler gets a " clear " advantage [12...h6 13.a4 Bc6+/=] 13.Rxe2 Be7 14.a3 Nc6 15.Bd3 Qd7 16.h4?!+/= [16.Rc2 0–0 17.Be3 f5 18.Qd2 Rfc8±] 16...h6 17.h5 0–0–0?!± [17...Rc8 18.Qd2 Rc7+/=] 18.Rc2 Kb8 19.Bd2 Rc8 20.Rac1 a6 21.Qe2 Na7 22.Ba5 Rxc2 23.Rxc2 Na8 24.Qe3 Rc8 25.Rxc8+ Kxc8 26.Qf4 Qe8 27.Qg4 Nc6 28.Bd2 Bf8 29.Ne1 Nc7 30.Nc2 b6 31.f4 f5 32.Qe2 a5 33.g4 fxg4 34.Qxg4 Ne7 35.Ne3 Kb7 36.Kf2 Qa4 37.Bc3 Qe8 38.Kg3 Qf7?!+- Svidler gets a " winning " advantage [38...Qd7 39.Bc2 Qc6±] 39.Bd2?!± [39.f5 Kb8 40.fxe6 Nxe6+-] 39...Nc6?!+- [39...Qe8 40.Kg2 Qc6±] 40.f5 Be7 41.fxe6 Qxe6 42.Nf5 Bf8 43.Be2?!± [43.Bc3 Qe8 44.Bc2 b5+-] 43...Nd8?!+- Jean misses a chance to win 3 's for his N [43...Nxe5! 44.dxe5 Qxe5+ 45.Bf4 Qxb2±] 44.Bf3 Kc6 45.a4 Nf7 46.b3 Nd8 47.Bg2 Qf7 48.Be3?!± [48.Kh2?! Nde6 49.Bf1 Kb7±; 48.Qg6+ Qxg6+ 49.hxg6 Nde6+-] 48...Nde6 49.Bh3 Bb4 50.Kg2 Bf8 51.Qd1 Kd7 52.Qf3 Be7?!+- [52...g6 53.Nxh6 Qxf3+ 54.Kxf3 Bxh6 55.Bxh6 gxh5±] 53.Qg4 Bf8 54.Nh4 Kc6 55.Ng6 Bb4 56.Nf4 Ng5 57.Qf5 Qxf5 58.Bxf5 Be7 59.Kg3 b5 60.Kg4 bxa4 61.bxa4 Bb4 62.Bc2 Nge6 63.Nxe6 Nxe6 Svidler will now prove that the 2 B's are superior 64.Kf5 Kd7 3.96 [64...Nf8 65.Bd3 Be1+- 3.43] 65.Kg6 Ke7 66.Bf5+- 4.87

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
        Congratulations to our Canadian Champion for the good fight that he put up against the Russian super-GM Peter Svidler in the FIDE World Cup. Looking forward to some comments in his e-zine Hebert parle Echecs!
        Folks,

Congratulations??? For what? As a compliment maybe? Jean was blanked out by Peter 2-0.

What are you Congratulating for! At his age, he definitely got no chance
        at all and that was expected. Maybe 20 years ago his age, he might have his chances.
        As we all know, the game of chess is currently dominated by the young guns or lions.

Sorry Jean, but i think he's too old to compete at that level and at his age
        i guess! I often wonder if you can still achieve your GM title. I think you are just too luck to win the Closed to represent Canada in the World Cup.

These are just my thoughts.

Am really sorry for you but that's the reality in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
          you know Canada's chess sucks when... :)

Comment

Hey! He made it to Siberia and back! Made a few bucks for his trouble.
            How many did the trip one way? A million? More?

Comment

Jean has had a very strong year of chess, both here in Canada and on the international stage.

Congratulations for all your successes Jean! A loss of 2-0 to a player like Svidler is nothing to be ashamed of, especially considering how well you played both games!
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
                Folks,

Congratulations??? For what? As a compliment maybe? Jean was blanked out by Peter 2-0.

at all and that was expected. Maybe 20 years ago his age, he might have his chances.
                As we all know, the game of chess is currently dominated by the young guns or lions.

i guess! I often wonder if you can still achieve your GM title. I think you are just too luck to win the Closed to represent Canada in the World Cup.

Obviously Jean is not being congratulated for his RESULT, but for his EFFORT. I don't see any problem with that, despite my other issues with Jean.

One COULD ask in lieu of the result whether it was worth Jean's while to make this effort. Jean must have given himself a fighting chance. His pre-event posts on Chesstalk indicate that. But in GM level chess, it is almost unheard of -- maybe even actually unheard of -- for a 300 rating point difference to be overcome when the lower rated player has already plateaued and is no longer a young, rising star.

It's not that Jean was too old, it's that he's only getting marginally better if at all. That marginal improvement is not going to overcome 300 rating points in a pure skill game like chess. The only way it could happen would be if Svidler were somehow far below his par, due to sickness or some other abnormal condition.

Larry Bevand, in another recent thread, mentions that many top level chess players worldwide are at least thinking of going into poker. I think Jean's result after so many months of preparation only underlines the dilemma for chess players that have plateaued. Jean knew he was playing Svidler, must have spent countless hours studying the Grunfeld, does indeed face the Grunfeld, and boom, loses in 25 moves. Did he win some money? If you averaged it out over the hours he put into it, I would imagine it's a fraction of minimum wage.

Mature, upper echelon chess players can live somewhat comfortably in chess, being somewhat recognized and pitifully rewarded, never achieving true greatness because there is no luck to speak of. Or they can move to poker, where anyone can win at any time and the rewards are exponentially greater. Duh!

To all you young aspiring chess players: once your rating levels off, it's time to reevaluate your future. As the Borg would say, "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." If my writing this at precisely this time when Jean's result is staring everyone in the face stops just one young player from ruining his or her future -- giving everything else up including a normal education in a desperate gamble to somehow jump-start their rating and run it up against overwhelming odds -- a good deed has been done. At least if they switch to poker, they obtain what Jean Hebert was deluded into thinking he had: a fighting chance.
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: Svidler - Hebert : Game 1

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  Game # 1 went 66 moves, though Svidler got a " winning " advantage at move 38. Hebert played well, trying to hang on.

Svidler, Peter (2754) - Hebert, Jean (2420) [C06]
                  World Cup 2009 1:14.12–1:13.43 (11), 21.11.2009

Bob
                  Hi Bob,

I'm not a big fan of Fritz for notes to a game. Bascially, I think the variation Jean played turned out to be too slow and he got squashed. Actually, I think the French was a pretty good choice against Svidler.

One major point I noticed, which software doesn't mention, is at move 8. ... Nb6. I consider it to be old fashioned and think 8. ... f6 is to be preferred. In addition, when I looked at on online database Jean has already played it a couple of times. Since I found this, it's reasonable to suspect Svidler also found it and used that for his preparation.

As we move along, by the time you get to move 23, black has his knights on a8 and a7. While it's "playable" in the narrowest sense of the term, I don't know if the ensuing positions are winable. I didn't like 32. ... a5 but maybe there is nothing better. Still, seeing as he played Kb7 a few moves later it might have been better than a5. When black started moving the pieces back and forth it was obvious white had an active games and black had a passive game.

I hope Jean doesn't mind these comments on his game. Myself and other Correspondence players were rooting for him to win. We sometimes comment in progress games in email, but this one wasn't shown.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
                    Folks,

In you case, it would appear your biggest handicap to success in chess is your double digit I.Q.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      In you case, it would appear your biggest handicap to success in chess is your double digit I.Q.
                      Gary,

Double digit I.Q.? I think you're crediting him with one or two digits too many ;)

Jordan
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

I hope Jean doesn't mind these comments on his game. Myself and other Correspondence players were rooting for him to win. We sometimes comment in progress games in email, but this one wasn't shown.
                        No I dont mind and thank you for your rooting. In the best of circumstances I was expected to lose. The first game was OK but in the second here is briefly what happened. Because of jet lag I hardly slept in Khanty-Mansiysk but the night between the two games was the worst. So bad that I got up in the middle of the night (couldn't sleep anyway) and started looking at some lines against the Guenfeld. This lead to me choosing a line that I had never played before, instead of the one I had been planning beforehand! This is what jet lag does to you: you are not only tired but you also start making irrationnal decisions that you would not make otherwise. Then in the middle of the opening what was meant to happen happened. I got completely confused (fatigue was part of it...) and could not remember clearly what I had looked at. Which lead to h2-h3 (instead of the natural 0-0), an atrocious move that loses a pawn for no real compensation and then it was virtually all over.
                        What was frustrating was not lo lose but to be unable to give my best. The conditions (long and lonesome trip, location and language problems, time difference, very short match and no time to recover, etc) made it impossible to do so. Even against a russian player of my strenght, I would have been at a great disadvantage. Nonetheless, an unforgetable experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          Nonetheless, an unforgetable experience...
                          Bravo!!!

Have you analyze your first game with P. Svidler?

Hope to read the extended report in the CCN :)

---

For future generations: think ahead how to deal with a jetlag during the next Olympiad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                            in the second here is briefly what happened.
                            The second game moves were printed in the English newspaper Telegraph:
                            http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...ngerously.html
                            (without commentary)

Comment

How much is your I.Q. anyway?!

Have you conducted similar I.Q. test to determine and conclude that I have a double digit I.Q.? You have to support your allegations and measurements and even have benchmark for comparison before making a conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X