X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congratulations to Jean Hebert

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
    Gary,

Double digit I.Q.? I think you're crediting him with one or two digits too many ;)

Jordan
    Sorry, but I don't deal with idiots , They are like shit, the more you touch them, the more they stinks. Simple logic! :)

Comment

Re: Svidler - Hebert : Game 1

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      ---

For future generations: think ahead how to deal with a jetlag during the next Olympiad.
      Unfortunately I believe there is only one true recipe: arrive sufficiently ahead of time. That is one day per hour of time difference. Of course in practical terms it is nearly impossible (for us...) for financial reasons. What would have been the point for me to arrive in Khanty-Mansiysk ten days in advance and spend 2000$ of my own money to increase my chances from maybe 1,25% to 1,68% ? Actually I would rather have spent the money to have companionship (preferably someone who spoke russian and could take care of many small problems) during the time that I was there. But even that is unreasonable if if it not paid for by the club, the federation or a sponsor. By the way in Khanty I was one of the very few players there by himself. Canada has been for some time now the third world of chess almost all by himself.

Comment

Hello Mr. Hebert,

I believe i need to introduce myself. Well, i also played in the recent 2009 Canadian Zonal in which we both finished number 1. The difference is that I finished number 1 but from the bottom. Lol.

I have an idea of how difficult for a Canadian to travel to Western Siberia because i frequently travel to Russia. And for jetlags, it is very difficult to quickly overcome 11-12 hours of time difference. From the international airport in Moscow (Sheremetyebo), it takes about 30-60 minutes to travel to the domestic airport (Dedodedomo ? - i cant remeber exatly), then check in at 23:15, fly and arriving at a nearby airport around 04:30, then travel by bus for another 2 hours. By normal adaptation, 4-5 days is necessary to overcome the effects of jet lag. This is when travelling to Chelyabinsk, below Khanty. Unless you took the night train, it is more than 1 day of bumpy ride.

In your case, 1 day before the tournament is simply too short. I see the need for the CFC to support our representatives even for the cost of an extra 3-4 days of hotel expensis in Khanty. For 15,000 rubbles extra, why not? Or maybe a fund raising simul exhibition by a club in Montreal could have easily done the trick. (Noted that the CFC is in financial trouble).

And being in Western Siberia at this time of the year, language barrier, different food, TV, it is a real physical, mental and financial struggle. The hotel charges foreigners Western rates. Normal rates for interpreter is US $200 per day.

The second point of this message is that i seem to agree to you when you referred to Canada as a third world chess playing country.

I was shocked to play in tournaments where i am asked to bring my own chess clocks and chess pieces. Also in Buffalo NY.

I have to go now as I need to review some theoretical lines in my predicted pairing for tonights round 4 match at the Scarborough Chess Cluc Fall Swiss with WIM Yuanling 2304.

http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca/
        Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Thursday, 26th November, 2009, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Bravo!!!

Have you analyze your first game with P. Svidler?

Hope to read the extended report in the CCN :)

---

For future generations: think ahead how to deal with a jetlag during the next Olympiad.
          Speaking of jetlag, It should have been included in his strategical training. Jean knew that there is a 12 hour difference, he should have consider to do his training in the evening/night and sleep in the morning at a least a week before he travelled to Russia. This should do the trick. When you go to war, a smart warrior must know ahead of time the area of combat! In chess as in life, you have to be physically and mentally prepared for the unexpected. You can have the best preparations in the world but if don't have a good sleep and get rested, you are doomed to defeat and in the worst case, get totally dominated! We can have all the excuses but no one is to be blamed but yourself. You are in your own in chess! you loss because made bad decisions or its simply you made a mistake and your opponent took advantage with it. Simple as that!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
            Speaking of jetlag, It should have been included in his strategical training. Jean knew that there is a 12 hour difference, he should have consider to do his training in the evening/night and sleep in the morning at a least a week before he travelled to Russia. This should do the trick. When you go to war, a smart warrior must know ahead of time the area of combat! In chess as in life, you have to be physically and mentally prepared for the unexpected. You can have the best preparations in the world but if don't have a good sleep and get rested, you are doomed to defeat and in the worst case, get totally dominated! We can have all the excuses but no one is to be blamed but yourself. You are in your own in chess! you loss because made bad decisions or its simply you made a mistake and your opponent took advantage with it. Simple as that!
            This post is defintely a candidate for the most retarded message posted on ChessTalk of all time.
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
              Sorry, but I don't deal with idiots , They are like shit, the more you touch them, the more they stinks. Simple logic! :)
              So I guess that means you don't deal much with yourself, because most of what you post is idiotic, the rest just makes no sense because your grasp of the English language is terrible.
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

This post is defintely a candidate for the most retarded message posted on ChessTalk of all time.
                Rob Love = Paul Bonham ? :)

Comment

He is actually quite right with what he is saying. If I didn't have school, I would have altered my schedule at least a week before leaving for Turkey (I went 3 days early instead). I have been advised by a few top level players about this way to combat jetlag. Athletes do it as well. Most of the chess players at the world cup are self employed chess pro's who have the freedom to do this. Either go to the tournament early or adjust at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                    He is actually quite right with what he is saying. If I didn't have school, I would have altered my schedule at least a week before leaving for Turkey (I went 3 days early instead). I have been advised by a few top level players about this way to combat jetlag. Athletes do it as well. Most of the chess players at the world cup are self employed chess pro's who have the freedom to do this. Either go to the tournament early or adjust at home.
                    Maybe one day you'll be at the World Cup facing someone hundreds of rating points higher than yourself and you'll show us how to beat the odds.

In the meantime, Jean is right. He travelled alone, with no strong player to help him and the language problem. I think he represented us well.

If some of the younger players want to receive some support and understanding when their results don't go as well as expected, it's time to give that support to others.

Out of curiosity, do you think they hold such an important event in an obscure part of the world with no consideration of which nations will derive an advantage?
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Maybe one day you'll be at the World Cup facing someone hundreds of rating points higher than yourself and you'll show us how to beat the odds.

In the meantime, Jean is right. He travelled alone, with no strong player to help him and the language problem. I think he represented us well.

If some of the younger players want to receive some support and understanding when their results don't go as well as expected, it's time to give that support to others.

Out of curiosity, do you think they hold such an important event in an obscure part of the world with no consideration of which nations will derive an advantage?

I think Jean played well and there`s nothing to be ashamed of. I`m just generally talking about ways to combat jetlag. I`m in complete agreement with Jean that Canada is in the third world of chess and there`s not much he could do about enhancing his results with his situation. I didn`t mean my post at all to be an attack of Jean. I just know that some people will think that if they can`t go early that they have no way of trying to adjust to time difference.

Comment

Either go to the tournament early or adjust at home.
                        culminating with training games that start at 5 am (Central Canada time) = 3 pm (Western Siberia time)! Sometimes it is good to be a lark rather than an owl.

Judicious use of melatonin (which not so long ago was not available OTC in Canada) might help too.

It is daunting. The only ones who had it worse were the Latin Americans, who had the same or greater language problems, plus a flip from summer to winter for added fun.

It's too bad that Paul St-Amand couldn't go. Might he have been the great equalizer?

Comment

I think Jean played well and there`s nothing to be ashamed of. I`m just generally talking about ways to combat jetlag. I`m in complete agreement with Jean that Canada is in the third world of chess and there`s not much he could do about enhancing his results with his situation. I didn`t mean my post at all to be an attack of Jean. I just know that some people will think that if they can`t go early that they have no way of trying to adjust to time difference.
                          Ok. I see. Just so we realize the opponent was not Peter Patser but Peter Svidler, one of the top players in the world.

Organized chess in Canada isn't exactly a hotbed of activity. Finding playing space with enough hours to play the games and a couple of days a week is expensive. It used to be that we got the playing hall, which had a capacity of over 100, for free a couple of times a week.

I wonder if we're the chess third world because of our play or because of our federation. I was disappointed we didn't have a representative to the world junior championship.

I notice Ivanchuk was talking about quitting after his loss. There's a lesson to be learned there. Top players take their losses hard.

Still, one should never get too down on himself. There are enough other people who will do that for you.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Eric,

Small parts of what he said may have had truths to them. However, larger parts of what he said in this and other posts about Jean's result were, IMHO, insulting and completely uncalled for, especially coming from a 1600 player.

Jordan

Comment

Eric,

Small parts of what he said may have had truths to them. However, larger parts of what he said in this and other posts about Jean's result were, IMHO, insulting and completely uncalled for, especially coming from a 1600 player.

Jordan

I agree, but I have a built in system in my head now that filters out all the junk on chesstalk so I didn't pay attention to everything he wrote :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                                (...) culminating with training games that start at 5 am (Central Canada time) = 3 pm (Western Siberia time)!
                                Assuming that I would have been willing to go through such extremes, who is the training partner that would have been available to play at 5 am, besides Eric Hansen, of course. :) ? Just finding a decent training partner (paid or not), regardless of the time of day, is no piece of cake.

Comment

Working...
                                X