Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Climate change science update...

"I don't know what we have to do to get this government's attention."

A way to gain majority in the next elections would sure get some attention.

Comment

Vlad, do you have a better method than "peer review"? Scientists do not exhibit religions zealotry like you do in your posts. Talk about hypocrisy?

Is the majority belief that smoking causes cancer also Groupthink? Is the idea that the earth is a sphere Groupthink? What about gravity, is that Groupthink.

How about showing the Chesstalk readers that you actually understand some of the science of climate change. No links allowed, anyone can cut and paste.

Comment

Re: And yet, many say the opposite!

Point 2: Emission quantities from humans are known, quantities of emissions going into ocean, rocks, soil, etc are known, so amount into atmosphere is also known and shows good agreement with rising concentration amount. Seems pretty conclusive to me...

Comment

I have not heard of Ray Kurzweil. I encourage you to post your rap song and become famous yourself...

Comment

Re: And yet, many say the opposite!

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
            Point 2: Emission quantities from humans are known, quantities of emissions going into ocean, rocks, soil, etc are known, so amount into atmosphere is also known and shows good agreement with rising concentration amount. Seems pretty conclusive to me...
            Some is turned by sewage treatment plants into gas which they can burn in place of natural gas. It might not have 1 million BTU's per MCF, but is still useable. I've been told the BTU value is higher after the weekend.

It's not burned instead of Nat gas but along with. Maybe they don't get enough from the sh... errr..., I mean waste.

In any case, if you have allergies don't go. It's an assault on tender nostrils. :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I have not heard of Ray Kurzweil. I encourage you to post your rap song and become famous yourself...
              Ray Kurzweil:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Kurzweil

With all your interest in science, you have really never heard of him?

I have no desire to be famous, and even if I did, the last thing I'd want it to be for would be a rap song!
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Getting back on topic, there is an article in the Globe and Mail today (Monday Dec 7th) on "Responding to Vlad Drkulec".

Here is the link; below.
                It answers in a succint fashion the skeptics main arguments.
                1) Global warming has stopped: Nonsense
                2) Recent warming is mostly due to an increased amount of radiation coming from the sun: Rubbish
                3) The climate is always changing: Yes, but so what?
                4) Scientific uncertainty is so great that we can't make firm policy decisions: Wrong

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1389545/

Comment

Getting back on topic, there is an article in the Globe and Mail today (Monday Dec 7th) on "Responding to Vlad Drkulec".
                  That "article" looked like nothing more than opinion. Tell me you aren't hanging your hat on those two guys to support your entire global warming theory.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Oops...
                    You have caught me out; I hope those two guys are right...
                    I don't do any thinking for myself...

By the way, Andrew Weaver is one of Canada's best know climatologists; there have been two attempted break-ins of his office at U Vic. Both of these guys have written many books on the topic....

It is your "opinion" that the "article" looked like nothing but "opinion". So to examine these "opinions" just spend a little time researching them yourself. It is very difficult to learn something new if you have "firm and fixed, preconceived ideas in your brain"... I would love to believe that climate change was hype, but I just have not seen any shred of evidence in the science to convince me of this...

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      That "article" looked like nothing more than opinion.
                      Well, even if it is "just opinion", which it isn't, it is the opinion of actual scientists currently working in the field.

I mean, if you are going to ask someone about physics, whose opinion would you trust most, Stephen Harper or Stephen Hawking?

Comment

By the way, Andrew Weaver is one of Canada's best know climatologists; there have been two attempted break-ins of his office at U Vic. Both of these guys have written many books on the topic....
                        Who do the conspiracy theorists think did it? I doubt a professional would miss twice. What did the police invetigation find if it was reported to them?
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                          And of course, if climate warming is true you would expect more very cold winters as well as more warm summers.
                          Which climate scientist are you basing that analysis on? I have not seen this startling new development in thermodynamics until you wrote about it. I had always thought that if things got warmer then the winters would get warmer too. This startling scientific breakthrough that you are exposing to us may be the straw that broke the camel's back as far as getting me to start opposing global warming. If it is just going to get colder as a result then who wants it to get warmer?

Obviously this cooling as a result of global warming will require a total rethink of my position.

Weather being an oscillating system, injecting energy from climate warming causes it to oscillate wider in both directions, just as when you push a pendulum faster to the right. it will indeed swing further to the right, but also further to the left.
                          So climate is like an oscillating fan and it will go back and forth?

But people who don't understand basic scientific concepts just don't get it.
                          Good thing that we have you here to explain these scientific concepts to us.

Vlad

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            Who do the conspiracy theorists think did it? I doubt a professional would miss twice. What did the police invetigation find if it was reported to them?
                            It was probably Greenpeace. After all, they managed to infiltrate a high security area like the roof of the parliament buildings. Some climate scientists office probably presented a harder target since he was fortified against allowing anyone else access to the data.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              It was probably Greenpeace. After all, they managed to infiltrate a high security area like the roof of the parliament buildings. Some climate scientists office probably presented a harder target since he was fortified against allowing anyone else access to the data.
                              When I saw them storming the ramparts on TV, I thought it was a strange way of putting REAL (TM) & (C) science in front in front of the public. Someone should have thrown oil down from the roof to grease their descent. :)

Is there any prospect of these people becoming birds? Jail Birds.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                                Well, even if it is "just opinion", which it isn't, it is the opinion of actual scientists currently working in the field.

I mean, if you are going to ask someone about physics, whose opinion would you trust most, Stephen Harper or Stephen Hawking?
                                Stephen Harper. His approval ratings are higher than Hawkings.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X