Michael Schleifer - 1967-2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michael Schleifer - 1967-2009

I didn't know him that well, but remember playing bughouse on occasion with him, and he was always a really nice guy (even though I stunk). RIP

Comment

For those of you who still have your old En Passant collection, the August 1996 issue has an interview with Michael.

The last question asked was, "What are your future plans?"

He responded, "To wake up tomorrow and be alive."

Comment

I have been reflecting a bit more about Michael and have been finding bits and pieces about his chess history. He apparently didn't play much in the past couple years and had been playing lots of poker.

If anyone has any additional information or stories (chess or non-chess) please e-mail me at webmaster@thechessdrum.net or post at my blog below.

http://www.thechessdrum.net/blog/200...fer-1967-2009/

Please let me know if there will be a Memorial tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Daaim Shabazz View Post
          I have been reflecting a bit more about Michael and have been finding bits and pieces about his chess history. He apparently didn't play much in the past couple years and had been playing lots of poker.

If anyone has any additional information or stories (chess or non-chess) please e-mail me at webmaster@thechessdrum.net or post at my blog below.

Please let me know if there will be a Memorial tournament.
          Daaim,

I read your article a few days ago. I salute you for a writing such a fine tribute to Michael Schliefer.

Jordan
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

He apparently didn't play much in the past couple years and had been playing lots of poker.
            True - he didn't play much tournament chess in the last couple of years - it's unfortunate that Michael's last year's results were poor.

Montreal Open - Sept. 2009: 0/1 (he lost to a 2038-rated player, and withdrew).
            PWC Toronto Open - April 2009: 2.5/4 (he lost to a 2057-rated player).

However - he did win a blitz tournament easily (14-1) in Montreal in June.

He appeared now and again in the (now-defunct - the poker games; not the Cafe) Cafe Pi poker games in Montreal - however, I don't think he played in any regular games anywhere.

Comment

I hope everyone will have another look at the tribute page for Michael that Hugh linked us to earlier. It is quite substantial. Daaim Shabazz has done a wonderful job on it! If you have anything to add, please do so.

Comment

Brad,

Thanks for pointing that out. I was already impressed with Shabazz's original article, now that I have read the new article, I'm even more impressed.

Take care, Jordan
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Lawrence Day wrote a nice article on about Michael in his Toronto Star chess column yesterday, including a game where Schliefer defeated Day. Unfortuantely, it's not online.

Thanks Lawrence as your column spreads the news to more people than read chesstalk. I just mentioned it to Leo yesterday, and the word hadn't yet spread to all those who used to play chess and poker with him.

Unfortuantely, I didn't find any photos of Michael in my photos of the pwc Toronto Open, or on the MonRoi website report of the event.

Comment

Working...
                  X