World Cup: +0 =4 -0 Go to Rapid Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup: +0 =4 -0 Go to Rapid Games

The drawish nature of match play at the highest levels reasserted itself today as Gelfand settled for a fourth draw. Now the World Cup will be decided by rapid games or blitz or worse. All very weird and wonderful, typical of FIDE organization.
    Personally, I do not mind the World Cup format although I would cut down the number of players and lengthen the early matches to four games. The real problem lies with the role of the World Cup in the championship cycle, if one can dignify the current chaos with that term. Of course, the strangest moment came when Kamsky played, with nothing at stake as he had already by magic qualified for the next round.
    Try to explain to a non-chess-fanatic just what is going on. Let's see: all these players are playing all these games to qualify for... Without the participation of the world champion (Anand), the designated challenger (Topalov) or the putative heir-apparent (Carlsen).
    It makes one nostalgic for the olden days of candidates' tournaments/ matches leading to a generally accepted contender to go up against the accepted champion.

Re: World Cup: +0 =4 -0 Go to Rapid Games

I can only think of one way to subvert match play draws: $1000 for each win.

If I understand you right, the World Cup knockout tournament's winner gets to the next round. The winner of that round play a match with Anand for the world championship?

So what is the next round, and who will be in it?

Comment

Hi Alan:

This is the finals of the FIDE World Cup - it is the final Rd. 7.

The winner goes into an 8-player Candidates knockout tournament in 2010. The winner of that knockout will become the Challenger, for the 2011 World Championship Match.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        Of course, the strangest moment came when Kamsky played, with nothing at stake as he had already by magic qualified for the next round.
        There was significant chunks of money at stake. And apparently Kamsky is not one of the very few that can go without them. But still it is a bit strange that an already qualified player can get into a qualifying tournament and knock out legitimate contenders. In my opinion the knock-out formula is fit for tennis but not for chess.

Comment

Who is in the 8-man so far?
          --------
          Tennis: Having the serve is like having white. A game of tennis is 4-8+ serves. If the score is tied after 40, the game continues until one side has a 2 point advantage. This can take a lot of serves, but someone always wins. A set is a series of games where "white" alternates players. A match is a series of sets.

So one tennis match is like playing 5 consecutive 12-game blitz chess matches (plus a tie breaking match), wherein black gets draw odds on every game.

Since we have 5 matches, each player "gets white" 20-30 times. This makes for a balanced competition.

For chess to achieve this balance and decisiveness, we'd need an insanely long tournament.

Comment

Crazy idea: What if we started with the blitz games?

Play 2+ blitz games (the blitz games don't end until somebody has a 1 point edge), then play 2 rapids, then play 2 slow games, using a scoring system like:

blitz win 1pt
            rapid win 3pts
            slow win 6pts

This system prevents drawn matches, and forces one player to go for the win in the slow game.

(With these particular numbers, if one player wins both blitz and both rapid games, he'd be up 8-0 and the other must win both slow games to catch him. But if
            but if he only wins one rapid and two blitz, he'd be at 6.5-1.5, and a win and a draw in slow play would suffice to even the score.)

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
              Who is in the 8-man so far?
              There was a comment on Mig's site in November, giving the qualifiers as:

- two match losers (Kamsky and Anand/Topalov)
              - two rating qualifiers ([probably] Carlsen and Kramnik)
              - two from the GP series (Aronian and ?)
              - one organizer wildcard (Radjabov or Gashimov)
              - only one spot left for the World Cup
              (i.e. Gelfand or Pono)

However, as far as I can tell the rules change every month.

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
              For chess to achieve this balance and decisiveness, we'd need an insanely long tournament. ?
              With FIDE, we've got the insane part down pat, so now we just have to achieve the length.

Comment

Gelfand has won the playoff by winning the 3rd and 4th games and taking the match 7-5. Age over youth. Congratulations Boris!

Comment

Working...
                X