$120,000 disappears into thin air and no questions asked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $120,000 disappears into thin air and no questions asked!

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
    ... In no way am I defending what happened, but it was Trillium's money and they apparently consider the matter closed. I don't see how you could demostrate anything other than (un)ethical behaviour if the OCA is the perceived victim, and the average OCA member was not a direct victim since it was never their money in the first place, nor was it intended for them. Steve
    I agree with you, Steve. The purposes of an OCA/Ontario chessplayers' investigation into the matter should be substantially along the lines noted by Eric Van Dusen on the CFC's discussion board, namely:

Originally posted by Eric Van Dusen from a post dated December 19, 2009, at the CFC's discussion board
    ...6) The underlying purpose of the exercise was not to assign blame, mete out punishment or retrieve the lost money, but to identify weaknesses in the OCA governance structures and make recommendations to st(r)engthen those governance structures. ...
    The OCA directors who eventually completed the investigation/report into the matter weren't up to the task. The question is, where do we go from here? It's clear that Chris Mallon has no interest in completing a proper investigation himself and he can't be replaced until the 2010 agm. My suggestion is that the OCA appoint an independent committee of people to investigate the matter thoroughly by using Van Dusen's statement of purpose as the basic term of reference for the committee's mandate.

Thoughts?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Re: Tabloid Journalism!

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
      Who were the OCA executive/directors over the period that this transpired?

Surely somebody here knows :-)
      Have you ever considered to read chessontario.com annuals? :D (using archive.org for this purpose.)
      OCA Executive
      President : Barry Thorvardson
      Vice President : Hal Bond
      Secretary : Mark S. Dutton
      Treasurer : Alice Laimer
      Youth Co-ordinator : Patrick Mcdonald
      http://web.archive.org/web/200708031...m/contacts.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        It's clear that Chris Mallon has no interest in completing a proper investigation himself and he can't be replaced until the 2010 agm.
        I missed the part where this was part of the job of the President.

My suggestion is that the OCA appoint an independent committee of people to investigate the matter thoroughly
        We already tried that. Didn't work out so well.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I don't know why anyone who still thinks the OCA has any relevance would want you leading it if that is your honest attitude. There is absolutely no doubt that the OCA president should be investigating such a big ticket project that went sour.

How many OCA projects this year have 6 digit revenue numbers ? How many sponsors does the OCA currently have that are on par with what a Trillium represented ? What new projects have you created to fill the void that losing Trillium represents ? Or, alternatively, will you be imminently be announcing a new Trillium based project you have negotiated recently ?

As president these should be easy questions to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            I missed the part where this was part of the job of the President. ...
            Sigh. Poor Chris. Life is so hard. Regarding any organization that is making an effort to operate in an ethical manner, and whether it says so in the job description or not, it is part of the president's duties to uphold and protect the integrity of the organization. I know...you just don't get it, do you, Chris?

Regarding my suggestion that the OCA form an independent committee to investigate the matter, you replied:

... We already tried that. Didn't work out so well.
            Michael von Keitz is vice president of the OCA, is he not? That doesn't sound independent to me.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• We know that money was taken in contravention of OCA rules.
              • We know the OCA can't afford to sue to get any of it back.
              • The OCA AGM of 2009 voted (unanimously if I recall correctly) that there should be no further contact with Trillium over this issue - no need to keep it present in their minds.

So what is left to investigate? We already KNOW that the money was not spent properly. Short of Barry admitting all his sins and returning all of the money what do you hope to accomplish by having ANOTHER investigation?

Given that the OCA has never had a yearly revenue in the six digit range I find that particular question to be pretty stupid. Given that the OCA has never had a sponsor before or since that matches up to Trillium that question is pretty stupid too - you already know the answer I would hope. As for the void of "losing" Trillium - it was a two-year grant, which ended, it wasn't "lost" - and given where most of the money was spent, the only "void" is in Barry's bank account, which I'm not rushing to fill.

As for your last question, the Windsor CYCC team applied for a Trillium grant for this year, so it's not like Trillium has been completely written off.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The OCA has been operating in an ethical manner since I took over. Before that, it is now common knowledge that it was not. So as I asked Duncan... what is there to left to investigate?
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The OCA has been operating in an ethical manner since I took over. Before that, it is now common knowledge that it was not. So as I asked Duncan... what is there to left to investigate?
                  Wasn't it Bones on Star Trek who said "this horse is dead Jim, dead"?

(Calm down trekkies... I know that isn't an accurate quote).
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

[list][*]We know that money was taken in contravention of OCA rules. [*]We know the OCA can't afford to sue to get any of it back.

So what is left to investigate? We already KNOW that the money was not spent properly. Short of Barry admitting all his sins and returning all of the money what do you hope to accomplish by having ANOTHER investigation?

the only "void" is in Barry's bank account, which I'm not rushing to fill.

Doing some 'investigation', a quick 5 minute yahoo search yielded some material which may or may not prove useful. This is all from the public domain, and i make no accusations, so take it for what it's worth. What are you afraid of Mr.Mallon?

Cybersolutions hosts websites for Vgalaxy Corp., and Barry Thorvardson, the President of Cybersolutions, is the largest investor in Vgalaxy Corp., which plans to develop 3D business applications to enhance e-business efficiency and marketing processes.

President & CEO

Barry Thorvardson, BA
                    Barry holds a Bachelor of Arts with a Commerce Major & Computing Minor from Simon Fraser University, B.C. He worked for the federal government for 10 years in a variety of positions ranging from a senior troubleshooter to implementation coordinator for the merger of two government departments. He concluded his government career as regional manager of planning for Correctional Services. In 1981, he founded his own software firm with a focus on point of sale systems & accounting. In 1996, Barry established a business ISP and consulting firm for Web design and e-commerce applications. In December 1999 he became CEO of Vgalaxy Corp., a 3D development company, and currently remains a director of the company. In January 2002, he re-established Cybersolutions as a private family run business, and he is now President of Cybersolutions.

The Annual General Meeting of the Brampton Chess Club had taken place on October 21st, 2008. The new 2008-2009 Executive Committee is as follows:
                    President: Nicolas Giurgiu
                    Vice-President: Ravi Venkataraman
                    Treasurer: Alice Laimer

Speed Ratings, Current , Brampton Chess Club

STROUD, MIKE 2306

BERENGOLTS, ISAAC 2305

MARSH, CASSIUS 2233

THORVARDSON, BARRY 2216

MESTNIK, STEVE 2200

THORVARDSON, STEVE 2187

VENKATARAMAN, RAVI 2166

SLJOKA, LARRY 2127

THORVARDSON, CRAIG 2122

INOCENCIO, HERMAN 2080

GIURGIU, NICOLAS 2070

UPPER, JOHN 2069

RAVI, ANAND 2066

BAYLON, GLENDA 2059

GANDHI, VISHNUL 2033

DOMURAD, ADAM 2026

THOMAS, DEVON 2023

MIKLAUSKA, STEVE 2006

FITZPATRICK, JEFF 2003

RUNDSTEDLER, RICK 1979

MIJATOVIC, IVAN 1961

MONTI, JOE 1959

TRETER, JOSHUA 1956

DESROCHERS, SUSAN 1951

MORELAND, JIM 1951

CABIOC, JOSE 1951

DAOVU, DAVIS 1949

HRVATIN, LUCIANO 1937

MIKLAUSIC, MIKE 1928

CASE, MICHAEL JR. 1922

COCKBURN, DENTON 1914

FRANKE, RAYMOND 1908

SULEYMANOV, AFIZ 1900

SCHAEFER, KLAUS 1890

MCKEE, AL 1878

CAMPOS, RAUL 1867

VERMA, RAJ 1864

FINDLAY, MICHAEL 1854

IACOUCCI, KEVIN 1852

SAGUIAFIN, RECTO 1840

FERRIER, JIM 1833

WILSON, SANDY 1830

DESROCHERS, MICHAEL 1822

SHUNK, JOHN 1807

SADIC, ERIC 1800

LEITAO, MIKE 1800

CORNELIO, JOSE 1800

TSUI, JOHN 1797

GAUDREAULT, DENIS 1786

ARAULLO, MANNY 1783

TADIC, STIPO 1780

KROLOW, GERHARD 1776

DIANE, ABRAHAM 1761

ZAK, BRAD 1757

LANZINER, HANS 1754

FARRELL, JEFF 1720

KOTSILIDIS, JOHN 1719

HAIST, JOHN 1711

LAIMER, ALICE 1700

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
                      Doing some 'investigation', a quick 5 minute yahoo search yielded some material ...
                      Juicy. Bravo. That man is imbibing ginkgo biloba.

I don't know, but maybe there's enough material to persuade somebody to make an annual donation to the OCA (or perhaps a tax-deductible donation to the CFC in favour of the OCA), in exchange for which everybody would keep quiet and the thread archives would be retired out of the reach of search engines. They used to call it moral suasion, albeit sardonically.

Comment

We also know that the current OCA President (and past CFC President) Chris Mallon was at Barry Thorvardson's side in an official capacity, through much (if not most) of the period that the Trillium file was being developed. For reasons of his own, then, Mallon would very likely not like to see this investigation taken any further, along any possible channels. He is also the moderator of this board, so if he doesn't like this post, he will likely simply delete it, as he did with another of my posts on this thread earlier this week.

Comment

I've never deleted one of your posts Frank.

In fact I don't think I've ever deleted a non-spam post on Chesstalk period.

A quick glance at the moderator log shows that nobody else has deleted any posts on this thread either.

Your attempt at a conspiracy theory involving me isn't really working too well Frank. By the time the ball got rolling on the Trillium project application, I had already informed Barry I would not be continuing on the OCA Executive, so he worked with other people.

After we had the Barry-Bash session at the 2008 AGM I considered the matter to have gone basically as far as it could go. Others wanted to investigate it more, and so I allowed them to do so. I suggested having one person from each league so that it wasn't just an EOCA thing, and gave a few names to consider. I'm obviously disappointed in the results, especially after it took about four times longer than it was supposed to.

Just because I see no use in further investigation doesn't mean I have something to hide.
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

For the conspiracy theorists, weren't club buds Ferrier and Laimer both OCA executives during BT's Reign of Error? :)

Comment

I never said that Chris Mallon has anything to hide, nor did I infer that he is part of a conspiracy with Barry Thorvardson on the OCA / Trillium file. Certainly, as OCA President, he acted correctly in ordering a more thorough investigation of the matter.

But, with the many other serious problems which have taken place around Chris when he was acting in an official capacity (while he was CFC President: the 2006 CYCC Kitchener financial disaster; the firing of Peter Arseneau as CFC Executive Director in July 2006; Peter's replacement by the disastrous David Gordon, also in July 2006; Chris's resignation as CFC President when the problems with Gordon became apparent, later in the fall of 2006), this is one more on that growing list.

SOMEONE certainly deleted my post on this site from earlier this week. I posted it and then checked it a few minutes later. A couple of days later it was gone.

Comment

Chris lacks management skills, it seems it is almost by default that the OCA made him their president. Chris seemingly has no idea why a failed project with a 6 figure budget ( how many of those does the OCA have ? ) should be his concern as president.

It doesn't matter how minor his own involvement was in this ever growing list of chess politician related issues and mediocrity this decade. At some point the president has to manage more the the OCA chess sets or setting up a new bank account. Maybe in a lesser role Chris would be a major asset, with the caveat of course that maybe no one credible wants to be OCA president.

The whole political system running Canadian chess needs to be blown up, simplified, and scaled to match the current size of operations. The new CFC president is clearly not an asset he is even more secretive then his predecessors. This is not what the CFC needs now, tinkering with old standards and lacking any transparancy at all.

Otherwise, membership will continue to find projects outside of the CFC and the OCA.
                                There might be an opportunity right now ( if they want ) for the CMA to expand to be an organization catering to chess players of all ages.

Comment

Working...
                                X