$120,000 disappears into thin air and no questions asked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: $120,000 disappears into thin air and no questions asked!

The Bullet chess book is good and the plastic is off the Blindfold book. Thanks for inquiring, Mr. McTavish.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      a. How stupid the CFC governors could be passing motions ( the gender based motion
      passed almost unanimously was probably illegal before it was revoked).
      Duncan, you are lucky that you don't know what happened in 1986 when cfc governors debated UAE Chess Olympiad. That was a real discrimination against humanity!
      That's why we need YOU - yes, only YOU with your double majors diploma from UofW, to straighten white collar criminal(s). If you will not do it, nobody else will. Why you want to rely on other's people greed, do it YOURSELF.
      A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

• Re: The OCA/Trillium Grant - My Report ( From the Outside )

Thanks for the link to the 2009 AGM material, John. The material doesn't make it clear whether the sets/clocks referred to were purchased with Trillium grant proceeds. Do you know the answer to this question?
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
          Is it possible to speculate that Jim Ferrier received cash from Thorvardson that would not be recorded in such a bank recon.? Can Egis, if you want Egis, post to that site any new financial pertinences, esp .during BT's reign, w/ the then possibility of presenting to a lawyer/accountant for advice? Let's stop blaming each other ( unless OBVIOUS), like Duncan likes to do, and COOPERATE.
          How many more individuals will you insunuate did something illegal or unethical before enough is enough?

All I see is a bunch of crybabies with no concrete proofs whatsoever that something illegal went on and then "enlarging" the debate to include a widespread conspiracy when they don't like the answers.

You had an unmanaged, unsupervised, undocumented project with no measurable deliverables and you're shocked with how it ended? What else did you expect? All parties involved were incompetent and none appears to have performed any due diligence.

Your executive - not just BT - f***ed up royally and while I can understand your anger and you wishing to recover the monies, it won't happen. If I was a sane person (debatable) and I wanted to get involved with the OCA (not one bit), this thread would convince me otherwise.

It is time for the circus to leave town.

Comment

Peter, I don't know the source of the funds for the set/clock purchase, but I can't see the OCA having sufficient cash from any source other than a grant.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              Thanks for the link to the 2009 AGM material, John. The material doesn't make it clear whether the sets/clocks referred to were purchased with Trillium grant proceeds. Do you know the answer to this question?

Peter, I think we have to look at things going forward as well. People wishing to serve these organizations, which deal with youth and the elederly, should have to submit to police background checks. I don't know if that's being done.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Rouleau View Post
                How many more individuals will you insunuate did something illegal or unethical before enough is enough?

All I see is a bunch of crybabies with no concrete proofs whatsoever that something illegal went on and then "enlarging" the debate to include a widespread conspiracy when they don't like the answers.

You had an unmanaged, unsupervised, undocumented project with no measurable deliverables and you're shocked with how it ended? What else did you expect? All parties involved were incompetent and none appears to have performed any due diligence.

Your executive - not just BT - f***ed up royally and while I can understand your anger and you wishing to recover the monies, it won't happen. If I was a sane person (debatable) and I wanted to get involved with the OCA (not one bit), this thread would convince me otherwise.

It is time for the circus to leave town.
                Follow the money. Who had unfettered access. Who signed the cheques to themselves? I have not insinuated anyone else did untoward re. these embezzled monies.Covering up afterwards, by rubber-stamping a 'final' report that was not, and is not legitimate, is the final insult, not yours.

Comment

Bob Armstrong's report has some inaccuracies.

1. Mark Dutton was not hired, it was Roman Pelts.
                  2. Barry was NOT permitted to continue drawing a salary after I found him out. The contract was already over. When he refused to resign he was censured and the matter was deferred to the AGM.

Peter - yes the equipment was purchased in accordance with the grant, using grant funds.

I agree that we need to move on. Wouldn't it be nice if this much interest could be generated toward a more positive future? The concentration of power is the flip side of community apathy. Too many jobs and too few people to do them. (No shortage of critics though!) I have held chess office of some description now for almost 10 years. The only time I wasn't acclaimed was when Barry ran against me for CFC President (a month before the grizzly discovery).

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post

2. Barry was NOT permitted to continue drawing a salary after I found him out. The contract was already over. When he refused to resign he was censured and the matter was deferred to the AGM.

Peter - yes the equipment was purchased in accordance with the grant, using grant funds.

I agree that we need to move on. Wouldn't it be nice if this much interest could be generated toward a more positive future? The concentration of power is the flip side of community apathy. Too many jobs and too few people to do them. (No shortage of critics though!) I have held chess office of some description now for almost 10 years. The only time I wasn't acclaimed was when Barry ran against me for CFC President (a month before the grizzly discovery).

http://nonprofitrisk.imaginecanada.c...y_20090603.pdf

Comment

AND:

.."Directors of not-for-profit organizations in Canada have a legal duty to act in the best interests of the organization which they serve at all times. In fact, the law requires a director to place the interests of the organization ahead of his/her own. This is known as the fiduciary duty. Successful fulfillment by directors of their fiduciary role is critical both in terms of the wellbeing of the organization, and in order for directors to protect themselves from liability."

quoted from http://www.rmgb.ca/abstracts-directo.../index.aspx#31....

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
                        .."Directors of not-for-profit organizations in Canada have a legal duty to act in the best interests of the organization which they serve at all times. In fact, the law requires a director to place the interests of the organization ahead of his/her own. This is known as the fiduciary duty. Successful fulfillment by directors of their fiduciary role is critical both in terms of the wellbeing of the organization, and in order for directors to protect themselves from liability."
                        Triple exclam!!! Nice find, David.
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Good point. I agree. I don't think I'm one of Chris Mallon's favourite people at the moment. Perhaps you could pursue this with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            Peter, I think we have to look at things going forward as well. People wishing to serve these organizations, which deal with youth and the elederly, should have to submit to police background checks. I don't know if that's being done.
                            For the record, all CMA teachers are required to submit to police background checks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post

Hi Hal:

I'm not quite sure why this post of yours came in reply to an old post of mine. But in any case. I agree that things need to move on. But I also think it's necessary to gather all of this information in *one place* so that we don't have a periodic re-hashing of this. This issue has gotten waaaay out of hand. I think Peter McKillop originally wanted to just know the facts, and more specfically what the OCA had done to ensure that this wouldn't happen again (I'm speculating and I may have misread Peter's statements). But over the past few weeks, several people have been salivating to pursue old grievances against CFC/OCA members where the grievances have nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Others want to simply stir the pot while doing nothing themselves to actually *do* the things they *say* need to be done. So they bombard the board with post after post demanding that others do things that won't lead anywhere (imagine that).

Larry has stated repeatedly that this is old news. This is true. You have said the same things. Again, it is true. There was much discussion of this matter at the time it first came up. Several of your (and other's) current posts are re-posts of things I've seen before. But not always. The problem lies in that there is no definitive, comprehensive report of what happened. So when somebody asks "What happened?" the answer always starts with "Well everybody knows...."

The von Keitz report sparked the outrage because it was nowhere near adequate enough to fulfill what many people thought was its mandate. I have copied several of the posts made here (including yours) to the relevant thread on the CFC discussion board so that we can begin to attempt to get all of the relevant pieces in one place.

Bob Armstrong's off-the-cuff summary of things was a far better report than what the average CFC/OCA member has seen up until now. I know there are several innaccuracies in it, but I think it is quite feasible that several people, including Bob if he would be willing to take part, could form a group to gather up, sort, and collate the relevant information and produce a "report". I think that would satisfy everybody outside the "lunatic fringe". On the CFC board I listed the obvious deficiencies of the von Keitz report so that can be used as a starting point since it's mostly a matter of collecting information and presenting it in a coherent manner with cites of the supporting documents.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                                Hi Hal:

I'm not quite sure why this post of yours came in reply to an old post of mine. But in any case. I agree that things need to move on. But I also think it's necessary to gather all of this information in *one place* so that we don't have a periodic re-hashing of this. This issue has gotten waaaay out of hand. I think Peter McKillop originally wanted to just know the facts, and more specfically what the OCA had done to ensure that this wouldn't happen again (I'm speculating and I may have misread Peter's statements). But over the past few weeks, several people have been salivating to pursue old grievances against CFC/OCA members where the grievances have nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Others want to simply stir the pot while doing nothing themselves to actually *do* the things they *say* need to be done. So they bombard the board with post after post demanding that others do things that won't lead anywhere (imagine that).

Larry has stated repeatedly that this is old news. This is true. You have said the same things. Again, it is true. There was much discussion of this matter at the time it first came up. Several of your (and other's) current posts are re-posts of things I've seen before. But not always. The problem lies in that there is no definitive, comprehensive report of what happened. So when somebody asks "What happened?" the answer always starts with "Well everybody knows...."

The von Keitz report sparked the outrage because it was nowhere near adequate enough to fulfill what many people thought was its mandate. I have copied several of the posts made here (including yours) to the relevant thread on the CFC discussion board so that we can begin to attempt to get all of the relevant pieces in one place.

Bob Armstrong's off-the-cuff summary of things was a far better report than what the average CFC/OCA member has seen up until now. I know there are several innaccuracies in it, but I think it is quite feasible that several people, including Bob if he would be willing to take part, could form a group to gather up, sort, and collate the relevant information and produce a "report". I think that would satisfy everybody outside the "lunatic fringe". On the CFC board I listed the obvious deficiencies of the von Keitz report so that can be used as a starting point since it's mostly a matter of collecting information and presenting it in a coherent manner with cites of the supporting documents.

Steve
                                Sorry for hogging the puck, Steve. Iam not a Calgary Flamer fan. The lunacy issue could be called into question, though :)
                                I agree with all of the above. I will still be making strides outside of these forums for restitution/resolution.
                                P.S. Marshall prepared a line that he waited many, many years for Capa -- not Tarrasch. You may want to chk your sources before chessically anecdoting.

Comment

Working...
                                X